Nav update / Current version (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I upgraded to the same software before LCDC this year. A whopping $11 on Amazon.

Even at $11, it's not worth it to me.

But... Google Maps is weird. If I use it in a browser on a computer, the aerial imagery is generally way out of date. There is a building on our campus that was constructed in 2014, that still does not appear in the aerial. But, if I drop down to Street View, the building suddenly appears.

If I use Maps on my phone, the aerial imagery is much closer, the building shows up. Weird.

Last edited:

But... Google Maps is weird. If I use it in a browser on a computer, the aerial imagery is generally way out of date. There is a building on our campus that was constructed in 2014, that still does not appear in the aerial. But, if I drop down to Street View, the building suddenly appears.

If I use Maps on my phone, the aerial imagery is much closer, the building shows up. Weird.
Google uses its own camera cars to take the pictures for Street View. However, I believe Google does not fly or contract for their own aerial photos. Instead, I believe that they use aerial photos either government or private sources. So it is no surprise to me that the aerial photos are out of date — they may be more than 10 years old.

I think it works for me because I view it as one, of many tools.

I just LOVE to get in my cruiser, have a destination 2,000+ miles away, and just... go. No worrying about the route, no worrying about someone else, no cares in the world. Even with massive cell phone coverage and data limits, the factory nav is perfect for me to have that thing running for days upon days as I simple do what makes me happy. And when there are dead zones in remote areas (where a Land Cruiser should be), I have a good back up to see what is out there.

One super big plus the factory nav has, is being able quickly see rest areas along the route. I find it perfect for giving me a fight chance with a 4 year old and a 1 year old that need to “go potty” randomly.

Would I use it to search for restaurant, or fight through city traffic? No. I use a different tool for that.

I go to lots of places with no cell service and we drove off the end of the crappy Denso maps too. All you get is a message that you’re off the map and a long. and lat. position. There is no good solution because most programs like Gaia have limited street maps or limited off road maps

It's about who you talk to and what "update" means to them.

Talking to the service advisor will take you down a path of head unit firmware.... Which doesn't happen very often, if ever. Thus, no surprise for them to say "no updates"

However, talking to the parts person will take you down a path of map updates.... Which is an order-able part that comes in the form of a DVD, USB stick, or SD card.

...And for the Toyota's that use Garmin you can update yourself online.... LC isn't one of them.

It all depends on who you talk to and how well they understand what you're asking....

Moral of the story is if you want updated maps - talk to the parts dept.

If you want a broken recirc door - talk to the service advisor.

Last edited:
I go to lots of places with no cell service and we drove off the end of the crappy Denso maps too. All you get is a message that you’re off the map and a long. and lat. position. There is no good solution because most programs like Gaia have limited street maps or limited off road maps
I always get a kick out of it when there is no service and there are no roads on the map, so it looks like you are in the middle of nothing, whether on the road with the factory nav, or on foot with handheld devices.

Sometimes I do wish for a better solution for those situations, but to be completely honest, it reminds me to dust off navigation and orienteering skills that seem obsolete with today's tech. I've become way to reliant on technology and how easy it makes things (when it is working).

I recently wandered from South Texas to Yellowstone. A lot to be said for integrated GPS.

On a typical day I see cellular service about 50% of the time. We routinely use the three
principle satellite navigation constellations. Works for us. I agree with Taco2Cruiser.

looking myself.... My Toyota parts told me they are in between model year production 2020, 2021. He said no one has the 2020's MSD and the 21's arent out. He gave me a part no of 86271GN8LC20 for the 2020 micro map card. 210.00 USD

Dont spend $300-400 on a map update if budget is a concern.
Spend a little more and get an carplay bridge.

Map SD cards are only $210.

Apparently the 2020 data cards aren't out yet.

A local dealer said 2019 data was the latest that was in the parts computer

Update from the toyota maps website listed above...
"ToyotaMAPS Online

Hello. There were no updates in 2020 due to COVID-19. The latest update currently is the 2019 version. The following update should appear later by the end of this year"

Last edited:
Yep, meant to say option*.

I think the beat-sonic well received. The thing to make sure is that its appropriately scaling the carplay. Some of them letterbox it.
On the 16+ LX it scales perfectly into the display area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom