Nav to Non-Nav Conversion Walkthrough (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if anyone needs climate control for the GX470 2003-2004, I can sell it for $270 with brackets for the radio, plus shipping.
I can also make the extension wiring plug and play 50$.
I have the controls and brackets, but I’m very interested in buying this harness. If I buy this harness, do I still need to cut and extend the 8 wires, or is it just plugging things into the harness?

I have the controls and brackets, but I’m very interested in buying this harness. If I buy this harness, do I still need to cut and extend the 8 wires, or is it just plugging things into the harness?
you just need to connect, only two wires for the illumination of the buttons need to be connected.
With checking on my GX470

Anyone know where to get the plugs if you want to make an extension rather than snip and extend the stock harness?

I made all custom cabling for my desktop PC. So I’m comfortable pinning plugs, but I have no idea if these plugs are Toyota specific or what.

one of the earlier posts has the part number for the pins, but I can’t seem to find anything on the plugs.

Random question, OP lists part numbers like 88650-60773 as the HVAC controls required for the conversion, but looking at those parts on a parts website, they're listed as an "amplifier assembly" with a diagram that doesn't really look like the HVAC controls. For example: 88650-60773 Genuine Lexus AMPLIFIER ASSY, AIR - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-amplifier-assy-airconditioner~88650-60773.html

Is this just a case where the listed part number includes multiple pieces and the picture just doesn't reflect that, or are there additional parts required as well?

Random question, OP lists part numbers like 88650-60773 as the HVAC controls required for the conversion, but looking at those parts on a parts website, they're listed as an "amplifier assembly" with a diagram that doesn't really look like the HVAC controls. For example: 88650-60773 Genuine Lexus AMPLIFIER ASSY, AIR - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-amplifier-assy-airconditioner~88650-60773.html

Is this just a case where the listed part number includes multiple pieces and the picture just doesn't reflect that, or are there additional parts required as well?

The part numbers 60771, 60772, 60773 etc are just the board portion of the assembly. When you punch it into the Lexus part sites yes your just pulling up that back half of the assembly. They just reference those numbers in these write ups because you typically buy the whole assembly used and that # is what is specifically compatible for your year. The full assembly with the circuit board/amplifier, as well as plastic face plate and buttons/etc is around $1200 brand new. The amplifier is usually only $~600 ish.

The part numbers 60771, 60772, 60773 etc are just the board portion of the assembly. When you punch it into the Lexus part sites yes your just pulling up that back half of the assembly. They just reference those numbers in these write ups because you typically buy the whole assembly used and that # is what is specifically compatible for your year. The full assembly with the circuit board/amplifier, as well as plastic face plate and buttons/etc is around $1200 brand new. The amplifier is usually only $~600 ish.
Am I right in thinking this is every thing (amplifier, HVAC controls/LCD, buttons), not including the trim/brackets: 2005-2009 Lexus GX470 Dash Control Unit 55900-60833 | Longo Lexus - https://parts.longolexus.com/oem-parts/lexus-dash-control-unit-5590060833? From the parts diagram, it looks like this includes the amplifier as well. Was having trouble finding just the front controls separate from the amplifier. $1400...:frown:

Am I right in thinking this is every thing (amplifier, HVAC controls/LCD, buttons), not including the trim/brackets: 2005-2009 Lexus GX470 Dash Control Unit 55900-60833 | Longo Lexus - https://parts.longolexus.com/oem-parts/lexus-dash-control-unit-5590060833? From the parts diagram, it looks like this includes the amplifier as well. Was having trouble finding just the front controls separate from the amplifier. $1400...:frown:

Yeah that looks like the entire assembly. You can see why people scour for the used ones . Took me a year to find one for my 2005 just randomly browsing eBay. They are becoming increasingly unobtainium due to the surge in GX470 buyers.

Yeah that looks like the entire assembly. You can see why people scour for the used ones . Took me a year to find one for my 2005 just randomly browsing eBay. They are becoming increasingly unobtainium due to the surge in GX470 buyers.
Yeah, with an '07 I'm not too hopeful of finding one. The idea of paying $500+ for a bandaid solution like a VLine or Phoenix is what has me considering doing the conversion even at new prices at some point. Fully physical HVAC controls and the ability to use any modern head unit does have it's appeal, and it almost might be worth it to just do it right rather than be annoyed by one of the nav solutions forever. Still though, at $1400+ I really need to be planning on keeping this truck for 5-10 years to justify it.

I've been watching and waiting for a deal on the used parts, just to have them on hand. And... Nada. I agree that the increase in GX popularity over the last few years has eaten up the used parts market.

For those who are reading, I'm curious for more data:

Who here has actually had an OEM Nav headunit fail or personally seen one fail? And how did it fail? I've been trying to weed out the internet rumors ("I saw this person on that forum say that one failed") but as usual it's difficult. I think that the failure rate is lower than we think, but it would still be an expensive repair or replacement if/when it fails.

I've been watching and waiting for a deal on the used parts, just to have them on hand. And... Nada. I agree that the increase in GX popularity over the last few years has eaten up the used parts market.

For those who are reading, I'm curious for more data:

Who here has actually had an OEM Nav headunit fail or personally seen one fail? And how did it fail? I've been trying to weed out the internet rumors ("I saw this person on that forum say that one failed") but as usual it's difficult. I think that the failure rate is lower than we think, but it would still be an expensive repair or replacement if/when it fails.

I’ve seen rare one-of screen failures over on the Facebook group. Most of the time though the unit itself doesn’t fail, the ML amp does and then sound goes out. Maybe sometimes people assume it’s the nav unit that died.

You used to be able to find cheap like $200 used entire nav stereos on eBay but I haven’t been seeing many lately. And those that are there get priced at like $400. Usually people on the Facebook group sell them for super cheap or give them away when they convert to a Tesla unit or similar unit, or to non-nav.

I think if my nav unit itself had actually failed, I would swap out to an android unit. I had a Tesla unit for a year before non-nav conversion and even with its own quirks it was better than the stock setup.

I’ve seen rare one-of screen failures over on the Facebook group. Most of the time though the unit itself doesn’t fail, the ML amp does and then sound goes out. Maybe sometimes people assume it’s the nav unit that died.

You used to be able to find cheap like $200 used entire nav stereos on eBay but I haven’t been seeing many lately. And those that are there get priced at like $400. Usually people on the Facebook group sell them for super cheap or give them away when they convert to a Tesla unit or similar unit, or to non-nav.

I think if my nav unit itself had actually failed, I would swap out to an android unit. I had a Tesla unit for a year before non-nav conversion and even with its own quirks it was better than the stock setup.

Thanks, I could see the ML Amp issue causing some owners to want to convert headunits.

Personally, I have enjoyed the ML audio system for the 4+ years I have had it. I'm the slightest audio snob and this system sounds good enough for me, and better than all other cars I have owned even with $1k+ sunk into aftermarket components (not that I chose to pay that, most of it came with the car) or factory higher-end audio (VW "Fender" and "Dynaudio"). Even the Navigation is functional and usable with a firmware upgrade.

If possible, I'm not against keeping the entire OEM ML/Nav system operational. But I'm also planning for potential failures down the road.

I found this one $250 with delivery to the USA

6D0B6A13-9EE9-4C06-8D6F-25118BC6CFBD.jpeg

Thanks, I could see the ML Amp issue causing some owners to want to convert headunits.

Personally, I have enjoyed the ML audio system for the 4+ years I have had it. I'm the slightest audio snob and this system sounds good enough for me, and better than all other cars I have owned even with $1k+ sunk into aftermarket components (not that I chose to pay that, most of it came with the car) or factory higher-end audio (VW "Fender" and "Dynaudio"). Even the Navigation is functional and usable with a firmware upgrade.

If possible, I'm not against keeping the entire OEM ML/Nav system operational. But I'm also planning for potential failures down the road.

I actually enjoy the ML myself as well, though I’ve since replaced all the door components in the front doors with similar spec speakers from partsexpress, still running off the ML amp. When I swapped out to a Tesla style unit it actually rounded out the ML system even more, sounded fantastic. I’m current non-nav converted with an Alpine headunit, still tied into the stock system and it sounds great. The only thing I really want to do at this point is add an amped 10” sub.

Does anyone know the part number or the type of plug for the 3 female plugs on the back of the HVAC panel, and the corresponding male plugs?

the female ones are labeled A13, A14, and A15 in the temp illumination wiring diagram in this thread, but I don’t think those are meaningful part numbers. A couple hours of searching google hasn’t yielded any results.

A6630BBE-B68F-4DEE-89B3-1A195158B2EA.jpeg

Does anyone know the part number or the type of plug for the 3 female plugs on the back of the HVAC panel, and the corresponding male plugs?

the female ones are labeled A13, A14, and A15 in the temp illumination wiring diagram in this thread, but I don’t think those are meaningful part numbers. A couple hours of searching google hasn’t yielded any results.

View attachment 2679019

the female connector is not sold in the free market, you need to buy an original electronic unit like this and take the female connector from it. this is exactly what I do when making a harness for a climate control swap.

E76646E0-8F31-4F75-BCBA-B2BDEBA40963.jpeg

71574D21-F2DF-4FB8-B47F-C249336B84E2.jpeg

the female connector is not sold in the free market, you need to buy an original electronic unit like this and take the female connector from it. this is exactly what I do when making a harness for a climate control swap.

View attachment 2679066

View attachment 2679067
About to purchase the non-nav climate control from you. Need to replace my cracked dash and mixing servo motors at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom