Nav to Non-Nav Conversion Walkthrough (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished my non-navigation conversion this weekend. The wiring was a bit of a pain, but mostly just because of trying to untangle the wires in the harness inside the small area under the dash.

I used the PAC RP4.2-TY11 to interface my Pioneer double-DIN headunit with the ML amplifier. That works perfectly, although you do lose the ability to use the fader controls, and the auto EQ and time alignment in the headunit (because only the front channels are sent to the ML amplifier). The PAC RP4.2 harness is quite bulky so I spent a lot of extra time depinning it and removing the wires and connectors not used in the GX.

The trim piece for the climate control is a discontinued part so I had to use an aftermarket trim piece from Aliexpress. Unfortunately, they only came in black, which doesn't match the OEM gray. The aftermarket piece doesn't fit very well and doesn't align with the buttons perfectly, so a few of the buttons rub against the trim and can get stuck. Also, the top part of the aftermarket trim doesn't align well with the Metra double-DIN trim from Crutchfield. There is a decent gap between the Metra piece and the climate control. I ended up using the aftermarket black trim for both the climate control and the double-DIN.

While I had the climate control unit out, I also changed the linear polarization film on the display to invert it. Looks a bit less dated.

I wired the reverse camera to the factory rearview camera at the "television" ECU on the right side of the passenger footwell.

View attachment 2748524

the part number of the glass for the climate control frame: 83911-60010

5B2DC35C-5475-43BC-B70D-EBE50A1D1F75.png

Finished my non-navigation conversion this weekend. The wiring was a bit of a pain, but mostly just because of trying to untangle the wires in the harness inside the small area under the dash.

I used the PAC RP4.2-TY11 to interface my Pioneer double-DIN headunit with the ML amplifier. That works perfectly, although you do lose the ability to use the fader controls, and the auto EQ and time alignment in the headunit (because only the front channels are sent to the ML amplifier). The PAC RP4.2 harness is quite bulky so I spent a lot of extra time depinning it and removing the wires and connectors not used in the GX.

The trim piece for the climate control is a discontinued part so I had to use an aftermarket trim piece from Aliexpress. Unfortunately, they only came in black, which doesn't match the OEM gray. The aftermarket piece doesn't fit very well and doesn't align with the buttons perfectly, so a few of the buttons rub against the trim and can get stuck. Also, the top part of the aftermarket trim doesn't align well with the Metra double-DIN trim from Crutchfield. There is a decent gap between the Metra piece and the climate control. I ended up using the aftermarket black trim for both the climate control and the double-DIN.

While I had the climate control unit out, I also changed the linear polarization film on the display to invert it. Looks a bit less dated.

I wired the reverse camera to the factory rearview camera at the "television" ECU on the right side of the passenger footwell.

View attachment 2748524
the discontinued trim pieces doesn't exist even on partsouq? I guess I am not familiar with the Prado climate controls, but thought they would be non nav since some people buy their non navs from the Russian market sources.

the discontinued trim pieces doesn't exist even on partsouq? I guess I am not familiar with the Prado climate controls, but thought they would be non nav since some people buy their non navs from the Russian market sources.
Not that I've found, yet. The part number (55412-60270) isn't found on partsouq. I ordered it elsewhere from Japan and the order was canceled due to "out of production".

Ok folks, could use some help and figured this made more sense than a new thread.

I recently acquired the necessary non-nav a/c controls for my '04 which of course has me thinking about doing the conversion. Here's my question...

I figure a full non-nav conversion will run me ~$1,000-1,200.
I've also seen some decent reviews of the newer Android units out of China that include the a/c controls (like this).

I have no doubt that a full conversion with OEM a/c controls and a decent head unit would be the best choice, functionally. But the price difference is in the $750 range. Is a full non-nav conversion THAT much better?

With that unit you're still missing physical temp controls, which is significant IMO. All the non-conversion options (VLine, Phoenix, the new stuff like what you linked coming out of China) have compromises (all of them are missing some physical controls, VLine you're stuck w/ the s***ty OEM screen, some have frustrating software, some startup slow, etc). If you do the conversion you've got the best climate control setup, and then can use whatever head unit you please and be able to easily swap in a new one if you don't like it, or if a new technology comes out that your current head unit can't handle. If I found the non-nav controls for a reasonable price, I'd 100% do the conversion, but whether or not it's worth it to you really depends on how much you are willing to put up with the various compromises of the non-conversion options. One of the biggest factors IMO is how long you plan on keeping your GX. If you think you might be keeping it for 5-10+ years, then the non-nav conversion is a no-brainier if you've already found the non-nav controls for your year, but if you think you might be upgrading vehicles in a few years, then maybe dealing with the compromises for a bit is worth the saved money.

Is a full non-nav conversion THAT much better?

I just converted from an Android unit to non-navigation (with a double-DIN headunit) and I've never been happier.

I'm pretty comfortable with hacking things and getting customizations to Android made -- I designed and manufactured a physical volume knob for the Android unit -- but the number of minor issues adds up to a major annoyance. To name a few:
  • The screen doesn't get dim enough at night. There are "night light" apps like Flux or Night Shift that can reduce the contrast at night, but the permissions for those apps won't stick in Android 8.0+ so I constantly had to reconfigure the permissions. Also, those apps won't trigger with the headlights so launching the app is manual.
  • The way the top panel and climate control panel overlay the screen is sort of a hack, so some other apps get really confused about the available screen space, and sometimes the apps render behind the top/bottom panel. Spotify was notorious for this and made it impossible to navigate.
  • Being that the Android unit runs a custom ROM of unknown origin, I never fully trusted it enough to log in to my Google account on it. That meant I didn't have notifications, calendar reminders, email, messages, or even saved Google Maps locations on the device. On another hand, that's also a good thing because if the truck was stolen I wouldn't want someone to be able to access my account.
  • Google Maps doesn't really like the portrait 768x1024 layout, and the vehicle would be off-center and almost off the bottom of the screen. Sometimes when launching Google Maps, the map would center somewhere in eastern Asia and I'd have to force stop the app to get it fixed.
  • When the weather is really cold (i.e. Californa cold, so like 45 degrees outside), the unit would refuse to turn on the A/C or heat until 3-5 mins after the car had warmed up. I'm not sure if this was a bug or a feature, but it was super annoying.
  • So many other little things...
At the end of the day, the device had numerous quarks and I found myself only using Headunit Reloaded to make Android Auto work with my phone connected via USB.

The WAF (wife acceptance factor) was very very low.

I sourced a non-nav climate control unit and installed a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (~$700) and now I have wireless Android Auto and a consistently better experience. The W4500NEX even has its own GPS antenna, so when you're running Google Maps or another navigation app via Android Auto, it doesn't use the phone's GPS which drains the battery pretty quickly.

I found two climate controls for GX470 with numbers
88650-60773 for GX 01/2006-2009 and
88650-60771 for GX 11/2004-07/2005
each for $425 shipping $25 to the USA and Canada. If you need to do it in degrees Celsius for Canada, then it is paid separately.
also, if necessary, I have available brackets and a plug - and-play wiring harness.

6385C1A0-DB9A-46B9-A7BB-C0A76B39288C.jpeg

84530055-5BC2-4086-AF12-A01A8966B361.jpeg

each for $425 shipping $25 to the USA and Canada. If you need to do it in degrees Celsius for Canada, then it is paid separately.
also, if necessary, I have available brackets and a plug - and-play wiring harness.

View attachment 2769473

View attachment 2769474
I'll take the 88650-60773, PM sent

Last edited:
I have a 01/2006, wish I knew for sure which would work. Put me on the list too if you’re keeping one, I’d take one and then pass it on to someone else if it doesn’t work.

PM Sent.

View attachment 2769473

View attachment 2769474

Question about the climate controls. I see the different part numbers depending on the build date.

What actually makes them different? Plugs, pin-outs, firmware ?

Seems like finding one for a 2008 is difficult so maybe an older one with modifications will work?

Question about the climate controls. I see the different part numbers depending on the build date.

Seems like finding one for a 2008 is difficult so maybe an older one with modifications will work?

this has all been explored before. the pin out is the issue.

the older ones have at least one wire that says something to the canbus that activates AC I think.

the newer ones do this through a software switch? something like this. there's an extensive rabbit hole on this topic.

this has all been explored before. the pin out is the issue.

the older ones have at least one wire that says something to the canbus that activates AC I think.

the newer ones do this through a software switch? something like this. there's an extensive rabbit hole on this topic.
Yeah I saw the answer to my question shortly after posting it and re-reading a lot of the thread.

I have a 01/2006, wish I knew for sure which would work. Put me on the list too if you’re keeping one, I’d take one and then pass it on to someone else if it doesn’t work.
Hi, if you still need i have the climate control for GX470 01/2006-2008 88650-60773.
I have already tested it on my GX470 2007, there is a video review, I can upload it to youtube

Hi, if you still need i have the climate control for GX470 01/2006-2008 88650-60773.
I have already tested it on my GX470 2007, there is a video review, I can upload it to youtube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom