Narrow Fender Flares for FJ40 and Best Options to Restore Fenders That Have Been Cut (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a FJ40 that unfortunately had the rear fenders cut, and I believe a white set of bushwhacker flares installed, which drives me crazy.

I could live with a narrower set of fender flares like the ones pictured on the red fj40 below. Does anyone know what type of fender flares these are, or are they custom made? Any other options for a narrower set of fender flares?

Also, what are the best options for restoring the cut rear fenders to look original? I know that will take time and money, but I would like to do it eventually.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4422.jpg

No idea for flares. I patched mine with new quarter panels but I also had to repair the rear corners. If all that is needed is to repair the opening, these look good.

@Fast Eddy makes some nice, flat fender reinforcement pieces. They look sweet to me and may fit your needs.

1614963448327.png

Pretty sure Those actually are Toyota OEM general market countries flares.
Neat, if so. I never heard of those before.

Not big enough to cover a big cut-out though. Mine were cut to within an inch of the inner fender. The flat plates cover the whole cut-out and you can move them forward and back to center the axle if you change your springs. The lower edge was traced from my uncut '78.

Off topic but does anyone know what kind of tires those are on that red 40 pictured above?

Off topic but does anyone know what kind of tires those are on that red 40 pictured above?

Looks like 34x9.5/15LT Super Swampers. Even the radials kinda suck on the highway, and those are bias ply in that size.

I’d say super swampers 9.5”. I have them on my fj40. Most here call them square tires and they would be right. They are a bias ply and when the vehicle sits they get a flat spot until you drive to warm them up.

See this thread. I new I read about it. U can see them on a lot of the JDM 40 series. ,the Fj43 seem to have it more than the other models do.

See this thread. I new I read about it. U can see them on a lot of the JDM 40 series. ,the Fj43 seem to have it more than the other models do.

You nailed it, thanks for sharing the link. I had no Idea the Japanese cruisers had flares as an OEM part. Too bad they discontinued them....

Those patch panels look great. Did you replace the full quarter panel, or just the wheel well patch? Did you use this seller real steel cruiser parts brand?

Those patch panels look great. Did you replace the full quarter panel, or just the wheel well patch? Did you use this seller real steel cruiser parts brand?
Yes it was real steel cruiser parts through eBay. $160 plus shipping.
Just the wheel patch was done. I had a shop do it when the body was off for paint.

I would be interested in a set of the flat fender pieces to replace my flares. If not there isn't enough interest, perhaps I could use your measurements to make a set. Thanks!

I would be interested in a set of the flat fender pieces to replace my flares. If not there isn't enough interest, perhaps I could use your measurements to make a set. Thanks!
Feel free to make some from the pics. I don't have the data. My vendor created that and retains the files.

Every metal supply yard I’ve ever been to will cut you metal... cardboard, scissors/utilities knife and an hour of time will get you this locally with no shipping...

Every metal supply yard I’ve ever been to will cut you metal... cardboard, scissors/utilities knife and an hour of time will get you this locally with no shipping...
Usually with a plasma cutter?

My guy has a $600k laser cutter, so the parts are ready to install with no additional finishing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom