Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally starting to tackle this project after having the parts sitting in my garage for 6 months and I have some questions that hopefully someone can help answer. The head unity I am installing is an ATOTO S8 (Gen 2).

1) With the RCA cables, is the ground wire what would go to the corresponding "-" terminal? ie "FR -" would be the exposed wire? I'm also assuming the corresponding wires on the harness that came with my head unit I just ignore and tape off, correct?

2) Is the "10" pin what would correspond to a wire labeled "Accessory/Ignition"?

3) I'm assuming pin "1" is battery?

4) I have a wire labeled "Rear Camera +" to switch the screen to the backup camera it came with. Where exactly should this be connected to? Should I just run a wire to the reverse lights or is there something more practical and less likely that I'll screw up?

5) Any ideas where a wire labeled "Steering Wheel Key +" or "Steering Wheel Key# +" would go? This is apparently combined with the ground pin to power the 3.5mm jack that controller the aftermarket steering wheel control that I have.

Thank you y'all for the assistance.
For #1, see the post where I was wiring up the RCA connections, I know I noted how to determine the "-".
2-4 I would have to go back and read through here, you will probably be fast at that since you are more motivated.
For #5, I did not add any steering wheel controllers, so I will not be of much help on that one!

Yes, I know this has been done and posted before - big thanks to @sk8salomon for their thread where I learned a lot: LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi

As many folks know, there is no adapter you can order to plug an aftermarket deck into the 22-pin connector (F) that our LX470s are equipped with from the factory.

In this thread, I will be installing a Pioneer AVH-4201NEX into my '99 LX.

I did research into Toyota connectors and figured out there is a connector out there that can be ordered from certain dealers that will plug right into the LX body harness at the connector that plugs into the Nakamichi.

More on the connector here: How To Find A Companion Connector - Electrical/Stereo/Nakamichi

Hi PabloCruise,
what connections do you have for pin #14 and #15? does your Pioneer AVH-4201NEX has a sub outs and how do you connect them?
Thanks

Hi PabloCruise,
what connections do you have for pin #14 and #15? does your Pioneer AVH-4201NEX has a sub outs and how do you connect them?
Thanks
Wow, hard to believe I did this over 4 years ago!

In the post you can see I used 14 for Amp +.
It doesn’t look like I used #15 at all.

I believe this unit does have sub woofer output. I bet we will see those connections in later posts.

Thanks to PabloCruise and others on this. I replaced Nakamichi with Sony Ax-5600 this February.

It comes with 2 USB outlets. The primary outlet is used for connecting the phone for CarPlay. I originally purchased an whatever brand USB extension from Amazon and CarPlay would only work every so often but it always charged the phone. It was a bit annoying. Looked around different forums and found a usb extension brand that lots of folks had success with so I gave it a try couple weeks ago. And now, CarPlay connects automatically every time I connect my phone. Hoping it stays that way.

The brand is called PAC. It’s available on Amazon and crutchfield. It’s only a foot long but it was long enough to connect to unit and route it to the cigarette outlet/hole. The outlet end that goes to the cigarette or 12volt outlet is skinnier than other version I had but it worked out well.

6FC27CFC-3BCC-4B25-90C3-56EB545F57A7.jpeg

35C5A254-0747-4398-8FDB-C90F4B806E1D.jpeg

Luckily no issues on the Sony head unit. This extension cord didn't have any pre-bends and Sony unit has about 3-4 inches of USB cables coming out (port) so it was easy/flexible to connect the PAC USB extension and electric tape it together and route it behind all the other stuff and didn't jam up anything. Actually, since its only 12 inches or so long, no need to loop and tape/zip tie up any excess usb wires behind the unit.

Better image of PAC extension cord:
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.55.54 AM.png

Image of Sony AX5600 backside:
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.56.42 AM.png

@PabloCruise, hit me up if that connector is still available.

This a great thread, I just picked up a 2000 LX and the NAK unit was totally shot. I searched for a few days trying to come up with a viable solution since there isn't an out of the box kit. My first thought was just to recycle the plug on the Nakamichi unit, though this presents it's own issues, since I can't get any shielding inside of the back of it. This could be dealt with, but I still don't like that idea.

I haven't settled on an HU just yet, but my plan is to use the harness that comes with which ever stereo I get and crimp the make ends directly on to it, thus omitting the need for a secondary harness. Once I find the HU I'll go with, I'll write up what I come across if I run into anything not already mentioned as well as try to post some photos of my work/attempt as as clean as possible install.

TIA

@PabloCruise, hit me up if that connector is still available.

This a great thread, I just picked up a 2000 LX and the NAK unit was totally shot. I searched for a few days trying to come up with a viable solution since there isn't an out of the box kit. My first thought was just to recycle the plug on the Nakamichi unit, though this presents it's own issues, since I can't get any shielding inside of the back of it. This could be dealt with, but I still don't like that idea.

I haven't settled on an HU just yet, but my plan is to use the harness that comes with which ever stereo I get and crimp the make ends directly on to it, thus omitting the need for a secondary harness. Once I find the HU I'll go with, I'll write up what I come across if I run into anything not already mentioned as well as try to post some photos of my work/attempt as as clean as possible install.

TIA
AFAIK, the connector is still available!

I'm not sure why you all go through all this headache. Just snip off the Lexus connector and use solder seal crimps to connect the new radios wire harness connector. No one is ever going to go back to the old Nakamichi radio...ever.

@JOSHD, having restored. repaired, or dismantled many vehicles, including everything from a 1930s tractor up to modern (under 5 years old) cars and motorcycles, OEM harnesses and wiring is much easier to work with, regardless of what the harness is for. I'm currently rewiring my FJ40 that was a daily driver for nearly 50 years and has been hacked together just to keep it on the road. Now that I'm doing it the right way, I'm running into all kinds of issues with stuff being hacked together and overloading circuits. It's a giant nightmare. I'm also working on my 2013 Triumph Thruxton, which the PO incorrectly hacked in aftermarket turn signals, brake light and some other electronics, again, do to missing the correct connectors, I can't simply put it back to stock and make sure everything works at baseline. Any time I buy a vehicle that has been hacked apart to make stuff work, rather than done correctly to begin with, it just leads to more work and frustration down the road. My LX is very much stock and I intend to keep every part I remove and keep as much of it as stock as possible when it comes to that stuff, that way if I ever decide to revert, or sell it and the new owner wants to do something different, they can easily do it. Also, sometimes I just really like a good challenge and a clean install.

Beyond that, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, why post at all? This is one of the things that keeps people from regularly contributing to these forums. I know I've left many automotive forums due to negative posts like this.

I'm not sure why you all go through all this headache. Just snip off the Lexus connector and use solder seal crimps to connect the new radios wire harness connector. No one is ever going to go back to the old Nakamichi radio...ever.
I sure do appreciate your opinion, that's what makes this place great.

I will tell you this, I am currently chasing electrical gremlins on another machine (cough - BMW - cough), and electrical problems will make your life miserable.

That is exactly why I went through all this...

Reactions: jLB
Looking for the radio side, I'm building a harness for an aftermarket stereo. Before finding this thread I was going to de-solder the plug from the back of the NAK unit make a plug from it.
So you need the piece that I used to build mine?
I would just run that p/n and see who is selling it these days…

Just found this P/N from Corsa, I ordered one, should be here in the next couple of days. Since my local dealership wants $30 for the OEM part, I figured I'd try this $5 part and see if it's any good. I'll update once it comes in.

Just found this P/N from Corsa, I ordered one, should be here in the next couple of days. Since my local dealership wants $30 for the OEM part, I figured I'd try this $5 part and see if it's any good. I'll update once it comes in.

Let us know!!!

Corsa parts came yesterday. The Corsa plug fits perfectly and as an added bonus, came with the pins! All in, with shipping it was a little over $11 for the plug and pins. Next step is to finally decide on which head unit I want to go with, get in and start getting the HU harness wired up with these pins.
Sorry for the crappy photos, my phone camera lens was dirty and I was in a hurry to grab a couple of photos before my 18 month old had a melt down, lol
That said, anyone looking to keep the OEM wiring and add an aftermarket HU, I think this is the way to go. It's much cheaper than the Lexus/Toyota P/N, comes with the correct pins and looks to be just as good of quality.
120221008_120208.jpg
120221008_120215.jpg
120221008_120219.jpg
120221008_120228.jpg

Corsa parts came yesterday. The Corsa plug fits perfectly and as an added bonus, came with the pins! All in, with shipping it was a little over $11 for the plug and pins. Next step is to finally decide on which head unit I want to go with, get in and start getting the HU harness wired up with these pins.
Sorry for the crappy photos, my phone camera lens was dirty and I was in a hurry to grab a couple of photos before my 18 month old had a melt down, lol
That said, anyone looking to keep the OEM wiring and add an aftermarket HU, I think this is the way to go. It's much cheaper than the Lexus/Toyota P/N, comes with the correct pins and looks to be just as good of quality.
View attachment 3135846View attachment 3135847View attachment 3135848View attachment 3135849
Wow, so those pins can just be crimped in to the wiring that comes with the new head unit?

Much more economical solution vs. buying repair wire!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom