Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys.... So I installed an Alpine ilx-W650 this week in my 98 LX470 using the adapter and making up the harness myself and got it all plugged in and boom, sounded great! Then I started the truck and I have a lot of "noise" coming through. Has anyone had this happen doing this harness/install? Suggestions on eliminating it (other than just turning up the radio haha)?

Thanks in advance!
I had a similar issue even using the pre-outs. Took it to a shop and they installed ground loop isolators. That fixed the issue

I had a similar issue even using the pre-outs. Took it to a shop and they installed ground loop isolators. That fixed the issue
Thanks, I was wondering if that would do it. I'm just wondering why it's happening, you are the first I've heard that has had an issue after putting it together. I appreciate the idea, I'll pick a couple up tomorrow and give a try.

Thanks, I was wondering if that would do it. I'm just wondering why it's happening, you are the first I've heard that has had an issue after putting it together. I appreciate the idea, I'll pick a couple up tomorrow and give a try.

I recently finished up installing a Sony unit with a homemade harness (repair terminals, adapter, and off the shelf RCA cables to the pre-outs) and have no issues with noise or static. I did notice within the settings on the Sony unit there was an adjustable built in lo-pass/high-pass filter. Maybe something similar on the Alpine unit?

One thing that may or may not be in play here, both recent posters experiencing the noise have 1998 trucks. While it seems the 98s with factory "premium" systems have the same connector and wiring as the 99s with Nakamichi, there may be some slight difference we haven't uncovered? I'm assuming most posters in this thread who have used this version of an adapter have 99s w/Nakamichi.

The other thing that may be interesting to experiment with @ZFZJ80 would be to pull the HU out of the dash while leaving the harness connected. Then, start up the truck and see if the noise is still there. As we all know, stuffing all that wiring into the dash is a TIGHT fit. Connectors can get stressed, crimps that were solid can be pulled and made to be intermittent, and wire insulation can be chafed against sharp metal/plastic.

I've done my best to read through this in the time that I have. I have a 99 LC with a non-Nakamichi stock stereo and am hoping to install a Pioneer 1550NEX.

What I would like to know, if someone would be kind enough to tell me, is exactly what parts do I need to make this install as plug and play as possible? I would really prefer to not have to cut, splice, tap, or crimp anything that I don't have to, both because I don't have the time or ability to do it right now, and for ease of removal later.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

I've done my best to read through this in the time that I have. I have a 99 LC with a non-Nakamichi stock stereo and am hoping to install a Pioneer 1550NEX.

What I would like to know, if someone would be kind enough to tell me, is exactly what parts do I need to make this install as plug and play as possible? I would really prefer to not have to cut, splice, tap, or crimp anything that I don't have to, both because I don't have the time or ability to do it right now, and for ease of removal later.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.
I believe for the LC there is an adapter available from Metra that will plug right into the truck's harness. You will still need to crimp, solder, or otherwise connect the wires from your Pioneer's harness to the pigtail on the Metra harness, but you won't have anywhere near the expense and difficulty of making the adapter explained in this thread. These 99s with Nakamichi are the odd ducks, others are much easier.

If you order your Pioneer from Crutchfield, it will likely come with the adapter you need and will include detailed instructions of which wires to connect where.

I believe for the LC there is an adapter available from Metra that will plug right into the truck's harness. You will still need to crimp, solder, or otherwise connect the wires from your Pioneer's harness to the pigtail on the Metra harness, but you won't have anywhere near the expense and difficulty of making the adapter explained in this thread. These 99s with Nakamichi are the odd ducks, others are much easier.

If you order your Pioneer from Crutchfield, it will likely come with the adapter you need and will include detailed instructions of which wires to connect where.
Thank you very much for the quick and detailed response. I really appreciate it. I will contact crutchfield and try to get this figured out.

I recently finished up installing a Sony unit with a homemade harness (repair terminals, adapter, and off the shelf RCA cables to the pre-outs) and have no issues with noise or static. I did notice within the settings on the Sony unit there was an adjustable built in lo-pass/high-pass filter. Maybe something similar on the Alpine unit?
None that I could find... I grabbed a couple filters today at BestBuy and that did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

One thing that may or may not be in play here, both recent posters experiencing the noise have 1998 trucks. While it seems the 98s with factory "premium" systems have the same connector and wiring as the 99s with Nakamichi, there may be some slight difference we haven't uncovered? I'm assuming most posters in this thread who have used this version of an adapter have 99s w/Nakamichi.

The other thing that may be interesting to experiment with @ZFZJ80 would be to pull the HU out of the dash while leaving the harness connected. Then, start up the truck and see if the noise is still there. As we all know, stuffing all that wiring into the dash is a TIGHT fit. Connectors can get stressed, crimps that were solid can be pulled and made to be intermittent, and wire insulation can be chafed against sharp metal/plastic.
I will try that next time I have the dash apart (not that it doesn't take 30 seconds). If that has an affect, I will post what I find. Thank you!

My install was for a '99.

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed response. I really appreciate it. I will contact crutchfield and try to get this figured out.

I believe they can hook you right up, out of the box! You can pay ~$10 for them to crimp connect the adapter to a stereo harness if you buy a new head unit from them...

Has anyone mentioned about the two antenna plugs? ive read through the whole thread and doesnt show anything for it or may have missed it.

My head unit only has 1 antenna plug-in but there is 2 male antenna plugs coming from my LX470. Is there a special adaptor for this?

thanks in advance!

Has anyone mentioned about the two antenna plugs? ive read through the whole thread and doesnt show anything for it or may have missed it.

My head unit only has 1 antenna plug-in but there is 2 male antenna plugs coming from my LX470. Is there a special adaptor for this?

thanks in advance!

i only hooked one up to my head unit and it’s been fine reception wise. The second one goes to the rear vent window. I think you can get an adapter to connect both antenna to your head unit but try it as is using just one. I bet you’ll be fine with the reception.

i only hooked one up to my head unit and it’s been fine reception wise. The second one goes to the rear vent window. I think you can get an adapter to connect both antenna to your head unit but try it as is using just one. I bet you’ll be fine with the reception.
thanks for the quick response @shtbrwn86!

ill give this a try.

thanks for the quick response @shtbrwn86!

ill give this a try.

You can adapt it to accept both leads....but its two adapters and creates kind of a monster to tuck behind the unit.

Scosche Mda-B Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter Tip and a METRA Ltd 40-UV43 Motorola Antenna Y-adapter to allow connection of both

Last edited:
You can adapt it to accept both leads....but its two adapters and creates kind of a monster to tuck behind the unit.
Yeah if you have a standard depth double-din it gets really cramped back there.

Don't forget the data-capable 90 degree USB adapters to use on the back of the HU to avoid crushing the end of the cable back there.

OK I figured I would post this in this thread, and hopefully this might be a resource for someone down the line.

My Nakamichi unit was having some output issues, and I was getting weird audio levels in R/L-I wanted Navi/BT so I decided it was time to switch. Of course..nothing being easy with an 00' AHC -Nakamichi Lexus, even something as simple as a head unit is a struggle. Luckily @PabloCruise posted some good info on how to build your own harness adapter. I decided to make this quick little infograph series to help anyone else out.

I wanted to wait until I had it in the car plugged in and working. Only hiccup was one of my ground terminals broke away from the harness, was a PITA to de-pin but I got it crimped up and back in. Luckily no ground loop needed, and it was just a bad ground : ).

I went with a single din unit, because this one looked simple and not riced out. I am using a tablet for music, gaia, maps, movies etc. so I really just needed something that played audio. My original plan was to build a box that could hold the RAM slider mount, but after a few hours of tinkering I realized it wouldn't be stable unless very beefy (16g, cross bars, and a weld) so I mounted it on the dash (still not happy about that but oh well its already cracked).

View attachment 2415359

View attachment 2415361

View attachment 2415374
I have followed @steppecruiser 's guide and it has been very helpful. I have the RCA cables crimped and ready to go, but before I go installing my Pioneer AVH-2550NEX I want to make sure that I am understanding the part where pin 5 and 14 need to be wired together to the control wire on the new head unit... I assume that I just need a butt connector around the terminal??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom