Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've finally gathered enough bits and pieces to try building my own custom adapter, and installing a Sony XAV AX-1000 into our 99 LX (w/ Nakamichi), this weekend.

I'll probably be spending quite a bit of time, going over this thread and digging through Robred's TLCFAQ, on stereo wiring, during this process.

Does anyone think geek squad at best buy would be able to tackle this job. this sounds like a headache lol

2000 lx470 w nakamichi

Does anyone think geek squad at best buy would be able to tackle this job. this sounds like a headache lol

2000 lx470 w nakamichi

I'm not sure that I'd let the geek squad install a plug and play system in one of my vehicles, much less turn them loose on a vehicle without a readily available adapter/harness.

is this not whats needed?

i have no confidence in tackling this myself, trying to find the best place to take it to have someone else install

That adapter will work just fine in a 2000 Land Cruiser. It is my understanding that the 2000 LX470 with Nakamichi is a different 22 pin connector. I don't know how many "good" stereo shops still exist, but my experience with the best buy guys leads me to conclude that they don't know what they're doing, and/or don't care about doing the job right.

Depending on how my install goes, I might be willing to assemble an extra harness. I do have family in your general area. I might be willing to help with a basic install, in exchange for a few beers...

Last edited:
What type of crimper would be best for these?

It's probably not "the best", but I'm expecting to use an old "D-sub" crimper that I've had for 30+ years.

[Edited to add]
No, not the best, and not serviceable for these terminals. Have a couple of crimpers ordered and in a holding pattern for about a week :(

Last edited:

2000 lx470 w nakamichi
its not that hard if you T tap the connections.(I know will get flamed for them but they work for this application) and use a set rca to speaker wire adapters. took about an hr to do it total time.

It's probably not "the best", but I'm expecting to use an old "D-sub" crimper that I've had for 30+ years.

[Edited to add]
No, not the best, and not serviceable for these terminals. Have a couple of crimpers ordered and in a holding pattern for about a week :(

I purchased the vendor suggested "Hozan P-706 Open Barrel Crimper", along with 2 other equivalents, and while I could get the M050-SMTS pins to properly crimp on the wire, all of my proper/secure crimps were too wide to comfortably fit into the Toyota connector.

I finally gave up and ordered (13) of the ridiculously priced "82998-12410 repair terminals", which went right together like they were supposed to.

Cabling the the Lexus connector to the Sony stereo connector was pretty straightforward, other than having to keep track of a bunch of purple wires.

Now I'm impatiently waiting on the 99 LX to return, from a tire install, to attempt to "pop that puppy in there".

Thanks, @PabloCruise for compiling this information.

Even if a Nakamichi stereo never goes back into this car, I have a real aversion to cutting/splicing up the factory harness if I don't have to.

I purchased the vendor suggested "Hozan P-706 Open Barrel Crimper", along with 2 other equivalents, and while I could get the M050-SMTS pins to properly crimp on the wire, all of my proper/secure crimps were too wide to comfortably fit into the Toyota connector.

I finally gave up and ordered (13) of the ridiculously priced "82998-12410 repair terminals", which went right together like they were supposed to.

Cabling the the Lexus connector to the Sony stereo connector was pretty straightforward, other than having to keep track of a bunch of purple wires.

Now I'm impatiently waiting on the 99 LX to return, from a tire install, to attempt to "pop that puppy in there".

Even if a Nakamichi stereo never goes back into this car, I have a real aversion to cutting/splicing up the factory harness if I don't have to.
I feel the same way!!!
Sorry the crimpers didn’t work out...

Success!
1590204083471.png

So If I am reading this correctly, there isn't any pin solution and this DIY requires $8.29 x 13 worth of repair wires from Toyota?

Great write up PabloCruise, now I am debating if I should spend ~$150 in repair wires/connectors/heatwrap or just take it to my local audio shop...something to think about!

So If I am reading this correctly, there isn't any pin solution and this DIY requires $8.29 x 13 worth of repair wires from Toyota?

Great write up PabloCruise, now I am debating if I should spend ~$150 in repair wires/connectors/heatwrap or just take it to my local audio shop...something to think about!

If you can find the right crimper, then you can use the pins at a much lower price, and choose your own wire color(s)...

I wouldn't say that the pins don't work, but you'd have to find a crimper that doesn't "flatten" the crimp area making it too wide to fit in the connector. After trying 3 different recommended crimpers, I gave up, as the multiple crimper cost was approaching the repair wire cost.

I'll drop this right here for the cost-sensitive consumer ... enjoy

I made the connections with the wiring from the head unit. When I installed the head unit I had tucked that wiring back under the center console, so I just went in and retrieved the plug and ran it into the passenger side rear quarter.

Then I secured the camera in the center of the upper tailgate and mounted it close to the body, so it was not sticking out too much - hope that makes sense? I wanted it to be protected and not be too obvious, or get too much road spray.

The wiring tucks into the license plate light nicely - no holes drilled!

The only thing I have not done is tap into the reverse light wiring so it comes on automatically. I will probably do that when I had the power line to the back of the truck for the fridge.

View attachment 1865437 View attachment 1865439 View attachment 1865440
Now I know how to add my camera to the back of my 2000 LC

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom