Na$ty a$$ oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not put the idler back where it belongs?

Idler were it belongs?

Am I missing something?

Edit, this truck does almost have 300miles on the OD.

Rob

There is an idler pulley that belongs in that hole.

On the inside of the case or outside?

As Robbie and Dan suggested, replace those cogged belts with a matched pair from Cruiserdan or your local Toyota dealer and reinstall the idler pulley (which can also be purchased from Cruiserdan.)

attachment.php

-B-

Thanks for picture, its all clear now.

I did most of the work on this truck and never discarded the tensioner, not sure at what point it was removed?

Rob

It may have locked-up and whoever was working on it simply tossed it instead of replacing it like they should have or the Mickey-Mouse cogged belts made too much noise and they removed the idler instead of getting the proper belts.

16603-66010.

Thanks very much Dan, will put it back to factory.

Rob

Damn this is an old thread, back when Dan had gray hair and was bald.

bringing a thread back from the dead. have the exact same issue, I started this job 2 days ago without hoist etc, basically in my driveway flatback. I have both pans off and all the front s*** out as well. Trying to get the timing case off now. Do i have to take the oil pump case off first? Do any of those screws go through to the block. Man I cant believe the amount of BS i have had to go through to get to this plug. Im almost considering selling the car once I have it back together and running. Sorry just venting....... I wouldnt wish this job on anyone.

94 1FZ-FE BTW.

Last edited:
resurrecting it again... not for this issue but for taking the timing cover off for slipper tensioner replacement. It's good to have as a reference while I'm in there though. Doing it with the head on as well... wish me luck!

Guys

I may have to do this job after finding oil leak from Timing chain cover (TCC) .

My question is - do the TCC studs really need to be removed?

As I did this job 14 years ago It is not fresh in my memory. Which studs are you referring to?

The timing chain cover is mounted to the front of the engine block by a combination of bolts and studs with nuts.

From your post, I believe you said that the studs had to be removed to get the cover off.

I was wondering why those studs need to be removed as I was hoping the cover would slide forward and then away from the block.

If you want to remove the cover with only the oil pans or only the head removed you will want to pull the studs. If both pans and the head are removed you are OK.

I’m in the middle of replacing everything I can after a head gasket failure on #1 cylinder. Here’s pics of my cover tonight as I continue cleaning it up.

63D1CB1F-4A00-4A43-997A-FBCFD075DE93.jpeg

6B3C197A-32EF-4D49-B637-76CA655AF11F.jpeg

Yes both were removed to get front cover off. Although if only your oil pump cover o-ring is leaking the whole timing cover does not have to come off. The front timing cover has 3 o-ring seals and the crank seal.

Yes both were removed to get front cover off. Although if only your oil pump cover o-ring is leaking the whole timing cover does not have to come off. The front timing cover has 3 o-ring seals and the crank seal.
Thank you Darb. Unfortunately, the oil leak is behind the oil pump cover, between the engine block and the timing chain cover. I replaced the oil pump cover o-ring, twice, to verify that the oil leak is not from the oil pump cover. Thanks again

As Robbie and Dan suggested, replace those cogged belts with a matched pair from Cruiserdan or your local Toyota dealer and reinstall the idler pulley (which can also be purchased from Cruiserdan.)

attachment.php

-B-

Anyone know what the part number for that bottom left "Tensioner AC Pulley" is? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom