My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call Warn, they will sort it out for you.

First off another excellent thread on Mud!!

I picked up a "used" 8274 that I am building up as 24v for my HJ61 and finally got a chance to break it open this weekend. I knew there would be some work to do on it but we tested the motor and it went both directions so I didn't think it was going to be too bad. Hindsight I would have tried to check the brake assembly but there was no cable and it was kind of a goofy set up to test it. Both brake discs were seized on, as well as the splined cam gear. Some selective heating with a torch and gentle persuasion in the vise with a hammer and everything was apart.

IMG_5257.jpeg

The discs are heavily pitted. So is the pinion and cam shaft but not as bad. All the gears are in good shape so wondering if there is some way to salvage everything? The cam gear was seized on tight so maybe lightly hone it? Turn the cam shaft on a lathe to sand out the wear?

Then there are the discs to deal with. Any thoughts on grooving out the pits, filling with weld and then machine them back? If I were to replace all the pieces individually (if I can find the discs) we are approaching $800. The whole brake assembly unit is $600 so looking like that might be the best route to go.

Any thoughts on trying to salvage the pieces I have?

First off another excellent thread on Mud!!

I picked up a "used" 8274 that I am building up as 24v for my HJ61 and finally got a chance to break it open this weekend. I knew there would be some work to do on it but we tested the motor and it went both directions so I didn't think it was going to be too bad. Hindsight I would have tried to check the brake assembly but there was no cable and it was kind of a goofy set up to test it. Both brake discs were seized on, as well as the splined cam gear. Some selective heating with a torch and gentle persuasion in the vise with a hammer and everything was apart.

View attachment 2615283

The discs are heavily pitted. So is the pinion and cam shaft but not as bad. All the gears are in good shape so wondering if there is some way to salvage everything? The cam gear was seized on tight so maybe lightly hone it? Turn the cam shaft on a lathe to sand out the wear?

Then there are the discs to deal with. Any thoughts on grooving out the pits, filling with weld and then machine them back? If I were to replace all the pieces individually (if I can find the discs) we are approaching $800. The whole brake assembly unit is $600 so looking like that might be the best route to go.

Any thoughts on trying to salvage the pieces I have?
Most of that looks pretty salvageable... the only real concern are the grooves and indents on the brake discs from the bearings. Those are pretty substantial and it looks like the balls would get stuck in the impressions rather than rolling.

Maybe see if you can snag a used set of discs on eBay?

Honestly, I would weld em up and sand flat, I dont think you would need new brake disc's

Living in Portland has its advantages - I met up with a guy who built winches at Warn for 40 years now retired. He rebuilds these on the side so we horse-traded for some parts.

IMG_5258.jpeg

Still a little bit of pitting, but not as bad as mine. Also scored a machined ratchet disc since my dots were shot. Repair kits on order and excited to rebuild! We had a great chat on rebuilding and how to put it all back together. He has a press and all the tools needed to seat the bearings and races and graciously offered to let me come back if need help. I love making connections like this with good people - definitely the type of personal interaction I have missed this last year...

Living in Portland has its advantages - I met up with a guy who built winches at Warn for 40 years now retired. He rebuilds these on the side so we horse-traded for some parts.

View attachment 2617591

Still a little bit of pitting, but not as bad as mine. Also scored a machined ratchet disc since my dots were shot. Repair kits on order and excited to rebuild! We had a great chat on rebuilding and how to put it all back together. He has a press and all the tools needed to seat the bearings and races and graciously offered to let me come back if need help. I love making connections like this with good people - definitely the type of personal interaction I have missed this last year...

You're good to go now.

I am putting a 8274 back together and have run into an issue. I ordered new Warn parts for the pinion and cam because of severe pitting - the issue I am running into is the splined cam won't align and mesh with the intermediate gear. I have the pieces out of the lower housing for picture taking purpose. Maybe the splined cam (hopefully I'm calling it the right thing - it is to the right of the bronze looking bushing) that I ordered wasn't the correct part? Thoughts? Any help/advice appreciated.

Intermediate Gear and Brake Shaft.jpg

If i were a betting man, id say that gear needs the chyna polished off of it.
Its not the wrong part because it only goes to the 8274.
I would hit the gear with a course wire wheel and a file to debur.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and report back.

^^^^
Agreed, that was my first thought when I saw it too. 👍

That splined cam is extremely rough.

I'd 'color' it with a permanent marker pen. try to fit it to a the intermediate gear and anyplace it showed an interference fit (pen markings rubbed off) I would address that with a file or crocus cloth. It's just a poorly manufactured part. Should be burr free, the right shape and tolerance and somewhat polished.

See below:

splined cam1.jpg

^^^^
Agreed, that was my first thought when I saw it too. 👍

That splined cam is extremely rough.

I'd 'color' it with a permanent marker pen. try to fit it to a the intermediate gear and anyplace it showed an interference fit (pen markings rubbed off) I would address that with a file or crocus cloth. It's just a poorly manufactured part. Should be burr free, the right shape and tolerance and somewhat polished.

See below:

View attachment 2888796
Thank you both for your assistance. I'm past that hurdle and am working on next steps. I'll post a picture of the rebuilt unit once I'm done - unless I run into another issue before that goal line.

I'm rebuilding this 8074 I've had sitting in boxes for a few years (and didn't take photos during disassembly),
I've finished putting in a gigglepin mainshaft upgrade (old one was missing teeth)
IMG_20220116_103425_HDR.jpg

Questions - The input pinion gear is floating on the armature shaft - this winch doesn't have the free spool clutch to locate it.
Anyone had the same issue and came up with solutions? (I could turn up a brass spacer to go between it and the top housing)
IMG_20220116_103956_HDR.jpg

And I think this spacer washer went between the armature shaft and the input bearing - anyone know if its actually required?
IMG_20220116_104214_HDR.jpg

Was wondering if there is a torque spec for bolting 8274 to winch plate?...its cast aluminum so dont want to over tighten.

googled it but came up short......
Answering my own question…I found the torque to be 45-50ft pounds to mount the 8274
30B6CB81-3D9D-4F0C-B839-A529E13AC0DE.png

Great video! Bookmarked it for when i dive into one of the 9 in my hoard lol

Hey gnob, I like the grease zerk mod to lube the end plate bushing. Does the bushing stay put over time? I'm wondering if it can rotate out of position where the hole will no longer line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom