My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know a McMaster Carr part number for the armature bearing?

I have this one linked in my notes. Don't remember where I saw it linked but wanted to confirm with the experts before I ordered it.

(30mm OD, for 17mm shaft)

Does anyone know a McMaster Carr part number for the armature bearing?
Finally doing this now.
The OD is 40mm, not 30mm btw.
McMaster Part # 5972K44
McMaster-Carr
$6.72 compared to $18.14 for Warn part # 8316

Last edited:
hmmmm... I would think that if the motor were bad, it would not run in either direction. The motor doesn't care which way it spins, it runs the same either way, it only depends on which field gets power. The brushes and the armature are the same, whichever way it is spinning.

Since the contactor (or solenoids as the case may be) and the winch controller are what determines which way the motor turns, I would look at both of those first.

You can test the motor though, bypassing the contactor, and hooking it straight to a battery. Directions how are in post #3 in this thread here: Bad motor?

Going back to this, finally got around to testing. Turns out the contactor was bad, and you were right all along! Thanks for the guidance.

Now just to find a replacement for the superwinch contactor that's now nla:

I recently had a experience with my stock solenoids on my 8274 mounted on an 89 suburban, my hunting and fishing rig. I was driving down a dirt road on a fishing trip and my engine stopped and the check engine light came on. I got out, raised the hood to check the oil and the back of the engine lit on fire!!! Open flames from the top of the bell housing!! Thank goodness, I carry a fire extinguisher or the rig would have burnt up right where it stopped. I got that fire out, then the positive lead to the winch started smoking and the winch started on fire!!! (really only the plastic cover for the solenoids). I frantically found wrenches to onhook the battery. As it turned out, I had a worn battery cable with a direct short to the truck body.

I had been wanting to change the old selenoids to a contractor but since superwinch sold out, I couldn’t find one. I have ordered a warn 81400 contractor. Does anybody have an opinion on the 81400 for a 8274?

I had been wanting to change the old selenoids to a contractor but since superwinch sold out, I couldn’t find one. I have ordered a warn 81400 contractor. Does anybody have an opinion on the 81400 for a 8274?

I couldn't easily find (internet search) the specs for that contactor. You want one that can hold 500-600 amps momentarily and around 200-250 amps continuously or at least for a few minutes. If that contactor is made for their larger winches, you'll probably be fine - just don't get a little one made for an ATV winch.

Going back to this, finally got around to testing. Turns out the contactor was bad, and you were right all along! Thanks for the guidance.

Now just to find a replacement for the superwinch contactor that's now nla:

Amazon product ASIN B0787QS836

Isn't this a replacement for the superwinch contactor?

Looks like it might be. I posted this contactor and other potential replacements in this thread, because it seemed more appropriate there:

I saved it in my notes a while back. I called Montana Jacks for some winch parts and mentioned I was thinking about a Temco contactor since the Superwinch is NLA. 98381 was the Warn contactor he carried and recommended. It's just a couple $ cheaper on Amazon than through them. He told me the $200 Warn 34971 was way overkill.

Gigglepin and Devon 4x4 will ship you a true Albright from overseas as well. I'd just assume get the warn 98381 or a Temco. I don't find as much info online about the Temco and it's laid out differently according to my noob eyes. Someone with more experience could obviously follow a wiring diagram though. Threads and wiring pics of the old superwinch contactor are readily available and it's known to fit in the solenoid box, so I'm going to get the Warn 98381.

Overkill for a stock 8274, probably, but maybe not for one with a *much* higher power motor.

1568733920115.png

Let us know what you find and what fits under the cover reasonably well.

Getting back to this, I don't have my contactor mounted under the cover on the winch motor. I relocated mine to the driver's side engine bay with a 500a isolation solenoid and in-cab controls. I can compare the Warn 34971 dimensions against the 90-14452 though. I'll supply pics.

@GLTHFJ60 , getting ready to relocate my controller also, pics would be great.

Finally doing this now.
The OD is 40mm, not 30mm btw.
McMaster Part # 5972K44
McMaster-Carr
$6.72 compared to $18.14 for Warn part # 8316

I damaged my armature bearing removing the motor...
Whats the correct way to replace the bearing and get the armature back in the case without screwing it up? It's on the shaft really tight!! I'm afraid I'll brake the new bearing trying to put it back together...

Edit: I had to press the bearing off the shaft with a slotted piece of steel bar I had that was thin enough to slide under the bearing without damaging the epoxied copper armature wires.

Will a new bearing slide right on? Looks like everyone photos show the bearing getting pressed into the housing, the the next photo is always the motor magically installed :)

Last edited:
Hi all. What a thread!

I have found all of the bearings from other sources than Warn and am looking for all of the oil seals from other sources as well to help with budget. Does anyone have part numbers for oil seals handy?

Thx!

I thought I would post here instead of making another 8724 thread. The armature bearing on the motor I have is toast. I ordered another and its on its way.

What is the best way to install the new bearing? Any tricks or throw it on the press and go?

Thanks for the motivation to rebuild mine and put it in my 80.
Its in the 8274 in an ARB thread.
I put in 1 grease nipple and a 1/4BSPT fill and drain plug in the sides top and bottom.
Cheers
Matt
I am working on an old original belleview 6000 and i can't find the right needle bearing for the cross shaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom