My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought about that, and suppose it could. I actually considered using some loctite.
In reality it's likely a non issue.
Imo the grease mod isn't really needed if you use/service your winch occasionally.
I just added for the sake of tech.

Your restoration looks amazing and I like your mods. I will end up doing some upgrades when I get ready to freshen up my winch. I'm not trying to bash the grease zerk mod. I like it and I'll do it myself.

I know there are bearings with grooves in case the holes don't line up. A groove would probably weaken a bearing/bushing as thin as this is though. You're not the only one that can be OCD. ;)

Might be a non issue? I never checked to see if it moves. Like you mentioned, a little glue or Loc-tite should keep it from moving if it is.

Last one.

Thanks for making the great videos! The polish job you did looks amazing.

Do you know or can you measure what length the cables are from your albright to motor?

I am in the process of rebuilding an 8274 and thinking of ordering pre-made cables from www.batterycablesusa.com because it seems potentially cheaper than buying supplies and it would save time.

I would be more than happy to provide measurements.
That being said, the length can vary based on cable size, contactor style/location.
The prices look good on that site. Im pretty sure im under 30$ into all cables and tool when said and done.
I frankly just suggest you mock your motor/contactor up and get "your" specific measurements.
Thank you for your compliments.

I'm upgrading from a keyed to spline motor on my 8274. I ordered the splined pinion gear from Warn, mocked it up dry, and the fit with the clutch fork seems potentially wrong.

The pinion gear is only partially lined up with the main gear. Is there supposed to be a spacer underneath the splined pinion gear? Or is the newer clutch fork different? Or is this normal?

IMG_7418.jpeg

Below is a comparison of the old keyed pinion and the new. The slot in the keyed pinion is slightly wider than the clutch fork. The slot in the new splined pinion is almost double the width and the gear is not as tall.

IMG_7419.jpeg

IMG_7420.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you past the detent? It looks like the other gear would have a similar relationship.
The shift fork is into the other gear there too.

Are you past the detent? It looks like the other gear would have a similar relationship.
The shift fork is into the other gear there too.
You are right! The spacing on my knob allows the clutch to easily travel past the detent. My winch has a red knob on it that I assume is not factory.

Do the factory knobs limit the down travel on the clutch?

Here is a picture showing my knob screwed all the way on and the clutch rod in the detent. You can see there is almost 1/4" and it is possible to push it down this extra amount which cases the condition in my post above.

IMG_7424.jpeg

Did u pull apart your clutch fork with spring and detent ball and Clean em up and then lube it on assembly?

On my 8274’s I can go a little past the detent as well, common for most 8274’s but it has to be in the detent for proper operation..

Oh, and the factory clutch knobs don’t limit the down travel, it’s the detent that keeps it in the right location..

I hope u get rid of that red knob..lol

Did u pull apart your clutch fork with spring and detent ball and Clean em up and then lube it on assembly?

On my 8274’s I can go a little past the detent as well, common for most 8274’s but it has to be in the detent for proper operation..
Thanks for taking a look at your 8274's to see if they travel past the detent. That is helpful to know they do travel a little past the detent.

I chased the threads on my red knob with a tap and this allowed the knob to screw on further. The clutch can still go a little past the detent if pushed, but not significantly enough to cause any issues like before.

This thread is awesome and should probably be a sticky on the 1st page. I didn't read the whole thing but the 1st few pages and the videos on page 27 were really helpful. I did find some tips on the web on how to assemble the brake using a large bolt & nut to clamp everything together then installing the assembly to the shaft. It was extremely easy and simple.

I bought this winch in the early 80's and used it for a while, until the solenoids started acting up around 2000. I bought new solenoids for it, but i never installed them. At that time, I bought a new 8274-50 instead, because I had purchased a 2nd 40 that I new I was going to keep. This one's been sitting on the shelf for 20+ yrs. NOS solenoids, brake kit, bearing and drum kit. It was filthy and someone painted it with aluminum colored paint. I spent hours cleaning it up. I didn't want shiney.

20230523_201401.jpg

20230603_201120.jpg

20230603_201155.jpg

Last edited:
After a lot of other work I needed to get done on my TJ I finally got started on reassembling my 8274.

20231030_144606.jpg

Getting things sealed up and assembled.

20231030_154109.jpg

After I'd put the top cover on I realized that I didn't have any oil for it so I'll wait to install the fee spool lever.

20231030_154121.jpg

But I still wanted to see what it would look like so I just threw it on.

20231030_154838.jpg

It's looking better than I'd thought it would. I'll get it mounted on the Jeep tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom