My home made snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.archeophotography.com
I just finished my little snorkle project. I'm happy with it. It's made from 3 inch ABS pipe. The sorkel top is a Donaldson "Top Spin" pre-airfilter from the CAT dealer. The snorkel turned out to be very sturdy.
From the ABS pipe to the airfilter (in the stock location) I used flexible, heavy duty RV sewer hose. That stuff is very flexible and tuff as nails. (I guess it has to be since it is designed for nasty stuff) The hose is run inside the fender.
Altogether the snorkel cost me $80 (includes pre-airfilter).
The only thing left to do is paint the clamps black...
P7224666 (Small).JPG
P7224667 (Small).JPG

What no duct tape?

Looks sturdy enough.

The best part about using ABS is when people ask you what it is, you can tell them it is for new technology that will revolutionize the petrochemical & automotive industry for ever. Then tell them it's a vent pipe for your cabin porta potty which is used to power the truck.

Sweet!!

What did you do to seal around the sheet metal?

I'll have to track down some of the RV sewer hose. I am toying with the idea of routing a removable "emergency" snorkel through the pass. side low beam housing. I've tested it with 3" dryer vent hose, but the sewer hose would be way more durable.

The seal around the sheet metal is made from rubber and is for sealing vents on roofs (I found it in the local hardware store. I can look up the exact name for it if there is interest). I just cut it to fit the fender. It seals perfectly around the the ABS pipe since that is what it's made for. By conicidence it fits exactly the shape of the fender :D

The sewer hose is awesome. It comes in a heavy duty version and up to 20 feet long. I tried to rip some of it with my hands to see if it holds up. But the vinyl is so tuff you would need a knife to cut it.

Sweet!!

What did you do to seal around the sheet metal?

I'll have to track down some of the RV sewer hose. I am toying with the idea of routing a removable "emergency" snorkel through the pass. side low beam housing. I've tested it with 3" dryer vent hose, but the sewer hose would be way more durable.

i was just thinking... youd never see anything like this on a jeep... cruiser people are awesome...:beer::beer:

i was just thinking... youd never see anything like this on a jeep... cruiser people are awesome...:beer::beer:

like another post before kinda ugly but hell if it works then hell yes. ive toyed with this same idea but cant comit to cuting my fender. and if i have that then it means i will attack deeper water which could be bad...

I mean cutting my fender... i just grew enough balls to paint my grill black...

:D Ugly or not. Eye of the beholder. Once you build it yourself it looks a lot prettier... :D

CruisinFJ60:
Cutting the fender is not that bad. A bit weird in the beginning, but once the first cut is made you feel better.

I made the snorkel not so much for water crossings but for dusty roads. The higher intake and the pre-airfilter do a good job keeping the rough crap out.

That is one of the ugliest snorkels I have ever seen!;)

Oh yes. This is not a poser snorkel ;)

I will post photos under the bonnet tomorrow, it's already dark out...

Is it actually connected?

If so, how about a picture from under the bonnet?

Last edited:
i meant it as a compliment... people call my cruiser ugly all the time (and its mostly stock) but i just challenge um to a tug of war or to a wheeling competition and they learn their lesson

built for go, not for show!

Hey Herbert, whats that in the red circle ?
P7224667%20%28Small%29.jpg

That's a sticker I made up. It's the outline of an ancient artifact from South America.
I like to design my own stickers. Like this one with the pyramids.

Hey Herbert, whats that in the red circle ?
P5272529 (Small).JPG

the top of that snorkel looks like the robots head from lost in space.

dig the stickers.

Ok, here are the under the hood photos. You don't see much, but everything is very simple, really. (I forgot to take photos during the installation process, sorry).
The stock airfilter is connected to the already mentioned sewer hose. (The rubber piece protects the hose not to be damaged by the clamp. I don't think I would need it, but I wanted to be save.)
The sewer hose goes right into the fender and runs back to the ABS pipe. (You see a piece of the hose in the red circle on the second photo).
It's important that the hose is flexible! Otherwise it would not clear around the power antenna motor.
The sewer hose is just flexible enough.

Like I said the whole thing is very simple and can easily be done in an afternoon. The biggest thing is cutting the big hole in the fender.

I would like to see the under the hood pictures.
P7244671 (Small).JPG
P7244673 (Small).JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom