My fj62 Engine Died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is what happend in short I had it rebuild at 310k and now it has 312k. The rebuild guys did a shotty job. After them taking it apart and putting it back together 6 times I have been told the engine is done.

Does anyone have a 3fe Engine forsale that is in a good rebuildable state ?

Should I change out the engine and put a v-8 in it if so any ideas?

This is my trail Rig so let me know what ya think.

yea V8

i know where to do it too. just ship it over!

Man that sucks, I hope you didn't pay them. I've been going back and forth on this argument myself for quite sometime. Keep my tired old 2f or install a v8. To be honest, it depends on how much of the work you can do yourself, and how much you're willing to spend. If you had it over at a shop for a rebuild then I assume you would probably have a shop do the swap as well. There are some very qualified people on this forum that do the swaps all the time, (some have already chimed in with their vote), that are a great resource to either do the swap, or help you out along the way. I've been amazed at the willingness to answer questions to help someone else do what they do for a living (or on the side). But if you have someone, anyone else do it, plan on laying out some money. It's not really that cheap if you do it yourself either.

I feel your pain. I had a local shop rebuild my 3FE when it died. Nothing but little problems from the start (not as bad as yours though). Finally, a year or so later, I found that it had >20% leakdown in the #5 cylinder. Sucked it up and drove it that way with an air/oil seperator in the PCV line to keep the blowby out of the intake until the dampner cracked and spit out the crank pully bolt. I spent a long time debating rebuilding the 3FE again vs. a V8. Everybody has to make that choice for themselves based on their uses and needs. I finally decided on keeping the 3FE because I found a shop that does lots of 2F and 3FE rebuilds that I trusted to do the job right at a very good price (Over the Hill 4x4). I've got 5k on it and it is running great without a hint of trouble.

2fe. i think the 2fe is a good option for a fj62. pobably cheaper than a v8 swap. I just had a 2fe built by portland engine rebuilders and highly recomend them. check out tonkotas write up.

Holy rusted quarter panels!!!!:eek: Are you the real Adam West??:rolleyes:

I would go the 2fe route too, that's what I plan if mine gives up the ghost. (or get a diesel)

Here is what happend in short I had it rebuild at 310k and now it has 312k. The rebuild guys did a shotty job. After them taking it apart and putting it back together 6 times I have been told the engine is done.

Does anyone have a 3fe Engine forsale that is in a good rebuildable state ?

Should I change out the engine and put a v-8 in it if so any ideas?

This is my trail Rig so let me know what ya think.

I have a 3FE. PM sent.

2fe. i think the 2fe is a good option for a fj62. pobably cheaper than a v8 swap. I just had a 2fe built by portland engine rebuilders and highly recomend them. check out tonkotas write up.

x2. Portland Engine Rebuilders did my engine as well (Over the Hill 4x4 has used them for years). They know these engines very well.

Never heard of Portland Engine Rebuilders, but if the boys at Over the Hill use them they got my vote. I was amazed at how helpfull the guys at Over the Hill were. If I needed to ship my rig to a shop its them hands down.
They actually would talk to me while other shops around here literally told me that they are a business, and that they should charge me for the time I took from them in learning about thier business' (maybe 15 minutes asking what they can do). Im not having the best of luck as of recently with Cruiser based companies, but have found some really good ones to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom