My Cummins 6BT Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about to have missed you...

Paint should be done next week.

Talked to slee today and paid them a small fortune. Rear bumper and some other goodies in transit now:)

New tires showed up. 305/70/16, BFG A/T KO2s. They look like they'll be a decent 33" tire for my purposes.

Looking at roof racks and front bumpers.

Doing my best to stimulate the economy with this rig. Lol

-Phil

Fresh outta paint...

Have 3 more tires to install and then goes on slee bumper, etc...

Overall, real happy with the color. Certainly made it look a lot more modern.

No surprise for many, the slee bumper is d@mn heavy with the accessories on it (300lbs or so) Probably have to consider reinstalling the heavy duty springs out back... or a spacer on the current (+3" standard duty coils now). We'll see after it's all saddled up...

GD Phil you really took what essentially was a Duiser turd and made it into something practical and BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks!

Hope to have some more/better pics up by the end of the weekend!

-Phil

Wow, just found your thread. I had no idea anybody else in the area besides Jess had a cummins in there truck. What's the report from you gear install ? Did you manage to get your mileage numbers up ? Good choice on color, the white looks great on an 80 series.

Thanks. Hard say'n on the MPGs... speedo is still off a good 25% and I'm still heavy in the throttle... I'm probably around 20mpg by the looks of things though...

I'm pretty sure your new Lexus wheels came off my rig, FWIW!

Gear install went real well though, thanks to CJmoon!

Built a little RTI ramp with the loader for some fresh paint poser pics... rear moves around well enough, but the front end is tight! Springs may be too hard up front for the amount of lift. Wonder if a lighter and longer spring might allow it to move a bit more... I recognize the front of the 80 is what it is, but surely a good bit more travel left in it... no illusions of building a rock buggy, just seems there's a good bit more left in there!

Tires are just 33s....

Sways ARE connected here... No surprise by lack of twist!

She looks great! love the white. I have the same wheels/caps on my cruiser and I found an easy way to get the front cap on. Gently peel the stainless off of the plastic backing, then cut a hole in the backing, put the stainless back on with 3m thick emblem tape. This will space the stainless part out enough to clear the front dust cap. Works great on my truck

SAM_0229.JPG

Not sure. Show up fine for me. Using the media upload tool...?????

my app based viewer doesn't always show pics. my computer always does though.

CJMOON came over last night and worked on his roof rack... We also spent a little time on the electrical on my rig.... Wow, Duiser's wiring skillz are that of a 2 year old! open wires here there and every where, scotch locks (ack!) used to tap wires, household electrical tape, repurposed wire, and lots of excess wire length rather than trimming to a reasonable length. Amazing...

We cleaned up several connections, trimmed wire lengths, pulled scotch locks. actually soldered connections (wow! lol), and used Duetche plugs with wire stress reliefs, to redo things. Lotta deteriortied electrical tape replaced with proper automotive fleece tape, etc.

OF course the whole project just started out as a speedo correction, which we did. Very nice to have the speedo reading correctly now at +25% over stock.

Remote start and door locks going in next week. Nice programmable unit that will make winters more tollerable with the cold bloodeded diesel. She starts fine all winter long but takes an especially long time to warm up! burrr! :)

-Phil

Hey Phil--I am going to be in KS the second week of Dec. Would love to see your cruiser. It was in paint when I was there last

Last edited:
Figured I'd update the thread after a long hiatus :)

Did some wheeling at the local park, Kansas Rocks, the last couple weekends in a row.

Need to do some shakedowns before a real adventure to my paradise in Colorado...

First outing was with CJMOON. His setup and mine seemed to perform pretty similar. No dented sheet metal and no drama at the end of the day despite some good all locked slip and slide'n, bouncing up rock walls with our toddlers in the back seat. A good day!

Fast forward to this weekend, CJMOON was outta town so I hit up my buds with their Jeep Cherokee Rigs. They're both locked front and rear with little 31" tires, but cut fenders and tip the scales at a whopping 3,000lbs each. They wiggle like mad, are a foot narrower, and sheet metal is considered annoying to them! My theoretical saving grace was that they both had their little kids with them and I figured that would keep them grounded.... um ya... not so much. First trail with one of the jeeps in the lead was a black... Blacks don't work too good for the 80 platform at KS rocks! They're TIGHT trails among other issues that are not too agreeable for the 80...

Thanks to my willingness to shrug off bad decisions and give just about anything a try, I finally got to destroy my OE running board and leave a lasting impression on the driver's side door and front fender. No worries though! Been eye-balling the white knuckle sliders (I don't have time to make my own), and the whole reason I painted it white was to help hide the trail scars and make it easy to fix every year :D

The hi-lift came in handy to get the right running board out of the rear tire. Those things are handy as shirt pockets!

Still up in the air for a front bumper... Really leaning toward the slee, but don't like the large gap between the bumper and the flares... I know-- silly, but I like to strike a balance between function and form ;) Could add some sheetmetal weldments to bridge the gap I guess. Hrmmm....

No good wheeling pics, but a couple of the newly added character!

IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg

Last edited:
it doesn't look like sliders would have kept you out of the driver door? or is it pushed in there?

Correct, sliders wouldn't have heped there...

Was a rookie deal where I used the front locker and shouldn't have. Walked me right into a tree going over a ledge...

Maybe if my front wheel offsets were 3" wider... lol.

Fortunately, it's just sheetmetal and it's not sacred:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom