My BudBuilt Sliders are on! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so crazy to think that i have driven by his shop so many times and had no idea he was even there. I usually take 321 up through hickory when i head to brown mountain beach road for weekends of camping and fishing. He is right there! Crap, i'm going to have to drive up and stop by. Very cool to know he is local... don't know how i've missed that.

There actually has already been a prototype made, but it wasn’t strong enough for him. You could hi-lift the truck all day, but that’s not really a good test of sliders. They need to handle a 24” drop into a point and not deflect into the body for him to make them. So he’s got a plan, now it’s time to reengage.

Next project is the fail test the GX470 and 460 hidden winch mounts. They are done, just need to test. Then the final 200 rear bumper, then the 3rd gen Tacoma tummy tuck. So that probable next summer before the LX sliders come back around. @DeckerT4R has offered to help, just need more time in the day.

Still ready to help!

so crazy to think that i have driven by his shop so many times and had no idea he was even there. I usually take 321 up through hickory when i head to brown mountain beach road for weekends of camping and fishing. He is right there! Crap, i'm going to have to drive up and stop by. Very cool to know he is local... don't know how i've missed that.
Actually not very surprising. For the last 5 years, maybe even a bit longer, Bud went down a road of very specialized custom vehicles for individuals.

And those buyers didn’t really want their projects to be advertised. They were really just wealthy people who wanted an epic on off road vehicle. And I don’t mean like bolting on stuff like an average installer shop does. I mean like real, one off, custom to the fullest extent of the word, vehicles. It was cool, it help Bud move into a massive shop that I doubt anyone in the industry has the same manufacturing space, so the business is future proof. But it got tedious with the clients, the sheer man hours required, and the deadlines.

So when I moved back to the east coast, and told Bud I had a 200 and wanted to build stuff that I felt the market didn’t offer. He was also wanting to go back to the production stuff. But as we were talking, it was turning into being the most custom things you could get without visiting the shop.

I love the idea, and I think other people do. I hate when a company picks what featured bumpers have and where, when sliders are not up to the rock crawler level, or skid plates with big holes in them for looks. Like it’s whatever you want, not what a shop that sends their stuff out to a machine shop to have 10 built at a time and that it or a shop that can’t handle changes to the design for the end user.

And with Buds industrial manufacturing of concept, to cost analysis, then to manufacturing under theory, it definitely sets him apart from really everyone else. Lots of people can weld and fabricate, but it’s that chief of engineering for the government projects for a couple decades and the motor sports and defense background that really sets him apart.

I just love this stuff and just want to learn, but the reasons he does things or doesn’t do things makes so much sense. And from my perspective, with 3 different Toyota’s, I’ve broken everyone’s armor out here other than his and ARB bull bars. So I don’t just like Bud because I know him. I bought a lot of things over the years, they failed, I bought his, they didn’t. Interesting stuff, I wish I could work in the industry, I sir would love it. Maybe one day.

Last edited:
My sliders arrived a week before xmas so what a nice surprise. The FedX guy was very glad we were home at the time so he didn't have to lug them up the steps to the front door. They are unwrapped now sitting on the carpet being admired by all. Lots of new snow and avg temps around 0 deg F, so I'm gonna wait til it warms up a bit before I start the install.

I may have to rent a heated garage so I can line-x just the fill plate like Rob mentioned. My reasoning for this is not just added traction but would be a good insulator so the dogs paws/pads don't freeze to the metal on there way up. I did the same to all of the walking and flat surfaces in the jet boat for duck hunting. When a wet dog jumps into a frozen aluminium boat on the river, bad things can happen to there paws. The matte finish powder coat feels thick so may have to test out side and with a wet towel not a tongue.

I ck'd the insulating value of the matte finish power coat on my Budbuilt sliders on the fill plate at 30 F, the wet sponge did not stick. I had to wait until our out side temps dropped again since I do not have a chest freezer large enough for the sliders. Checked again at -2 below F and the the wet sponge stuck. I figured it would but wanted to confirm.

The OEM running boards have a rubber coating on then so this has not been a problem before of dogs wet feet sticking to cold metal so I will be applying some poly type coating to the fill plate.

If your dogs like to swim in the river during the winter (duck hunting) and then load them up into the back seat by way of the sliders, you may want to think about insulting your sliders. Any steel sliders.

If your dogs like to swim in the river during the winter (duck hunting) and then load them up into the back seat by way of the sliders, you may want to think about insulting your sliders. Any steel sliders.

I try not to insult my sliders, as I don't want to hurt their feewings... ;)

I try not to insult my sliders, as I don't want to hurt their feewings... ;)

Sticks and stones can't hurt these Bud Built sliders but names and insults will bring on a lawsuit these days. Talk nice to your sliders.:)

Happy new year!:cheers:

Last edited:
My BB’s are arriving Thursday and wanted to study up, if I can on the install instructions. Anyone have the install instructions or know if they are now included with the Buds sliders??

I corresponded a bit with budbuilt last week and the LX sliders are still a ways off in the R&D schedule.

I would happily take a 'hi-lift' all day capable solution . . .

633AC539-37E0-4B1E-8250-81049A6FCF22.jpeg
Finally on!

@NLScooby if you had to do it again would you stick with the dimple down fill plates or choose one with better traction?

@NLScooby if you had to do it again would you stick with the dimple down fill plates or choose one with better traction?

I have the step sliders with diamond plate fill, I really like it. I'm debating putting a thin strip of sacrificial grip tape on the outer tube in front of the drivers door, just to protect from abrasion.

I also have the diamond plate fill and install a 1 inch strip of good quality grip tape on the tube and butted against the fill plate but not on the fill plate. (Thank you, Rob). This was done for increase traction on the shoulder of the sliders when they are covered with snow or mud.

The grip tape may grab your nice cloths on the back of your leg ocasionly. I don't wear nice things any more so I haven't had that problem.

@KLF and @4gotalot I appreciate the feedback. I was wanting to hear from someone with dimple down plates because I like the way they look. My guess is... reading between the lines from both of your responses is that traction is not a strong suit of these sliders regardless of the plate designs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

I have the step sliders with diamond plate fill, I really like it. I'm debating putting a thin strip of sacrificial grip tape on the outer tube in front of the drivers door, just to protect from abrasion.

I haven't seen the need. YMMV.

@KLF and @4gotalot I appreciate the feedback. I was wanting to hear from someone with dimple down plates because I like the way they look. My guess is... reading between the lines from both of your responses is that traction is not a strong suit of these sliders regardless of the plate designs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

Dimples down here. below are the only two pics I have on me that remotely show the sliders. I went dimple down as like you I liked the look, but also, being by the beach, barefoot is gonna happen. Don't want any sliced feet. I haven't had any traction problems, but we aren't exactly in a wet climate. Kids are only 2 and 4 months, so have't had them on them yet.

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom