My beautiful daughters 80 Series named FRED. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is awesome. Very cool to see the other "girl dads" out there on Mud. I can't wait to get my daughter into wheeling, she's only 8 months old now but time has already flown by.
blink your eyes and she will be 16 seriously, it goes fast.....

Love it man. I’ve had my 80 Since my kiddo was a baby. This photo was from 2012, daughter is 14 now.

53BED1BB-E30E-42AA-B931-A2BBF1422549.jpeg

She has already started driving off road. She started at 13. The desert is a great place for this. Not much stuff to hit. I will probably have her drive some of the easier parts of the trail this weekend.
Interesting...you headed to Borrego last weekend and Coyote Cyn (just N of Borrego Springs) is where my daughter drove for the first time (not just steering), in my 80 last winter. Congrats.

She has already started driving off road. She started at 13. The desert is a great place for this. Not much stuff to hit. I will probably have her drive some of the easier parts of the trail this weekend.
That's where i learned to drive.

Here is my wonderful daughter doing some wheelin` last Easter in my 80. Without family none of this stuff means a thing.

View attachment 3256916
Nice! I have a good friend that lives near Raleigh, I need to go visit some day. Agree with you on the family point you made.....

Interesting...you headed to Borrego last weekend and Coyote Cyn (just N of Borrego Springs) is where my daughter drove for the first time (not just steering), in my 80 last winter. Congrats.
yes that's where we were, coyote canyon, that's our favorite spot to camp, been going for years, used to be no people up there at sheep camp but the rangers grated the trail years ago and it has not been the same, but still beautiful.

the 80 series is the best 4x4 that was ever offered in North America.
This sir is fact.

My son and I are planning to start a build for him as well. He is 13 now. Not intending it to be his DD but a toy like mine that hopefully he will share with me.

yes that's where we were, coyote canyon, that's our favorite spot to camp, been going for years, used to be no people up there at sheep camp but the rangers grated the trail years ago and it has not been the same, but still beautiful.
I drove my 60 all the way S to N to Terwilliger through Coyote Canyon a few decades ago when it was open; that full route was tough with no lift and little stock-sized tires. The rough southern section of trail they graded several years back used to be a substantial challenge for unlifted vehicles. As you noted, it is pretty easy now. My daughter and I have camped in Sheep Canyon out of my 80 about every other year since she was little. I want to take my little off-road camp trailer to Sheep Canyon for a couple nights this winter.
You and I have a bit in common...
I am contemplating letting my daughter (now 12 YO) drive my 80 regularly when she turns 16. She wants a 60 or an 80.

Have a good week everyone. Cheers.

IMG_7696.JPG

I drove my 60 all the way S to N to Terwilliger through Coyote Canyon a few decades ago when it was open; that full route was tough with no lift and little stock-sized tires. The rough southern section of trail they graded several years back used to be a substantial challenge for unlifted vehicles. As you noted, it is pretty easy now. My daughter and I have camped in Sheep Canyon out of my 80 about every other year since she was little. I want to take my little off-road camp trailer to Sheep Canyon for a couple nights this winter.
You and I have a bit in common...
I am contemplating letting my daughter (now 12 YO) drive my 80 regularly when she turns 16. She wants a 60 or an 80.

Have a good week everyone. Cheers.

View attachment 3259792
Nice, yeah I was blown away by all the water up there! haven't seen a wash with moving water like that in a long time....

you are in Encinitas? we should grab a beer sometime. A couple cruiser guys and I have dinner every so often.....

Nice, yeah I was blown away by all the water up there! haven't seen a wash with moving water like that in a long time....

you are in Encinitas? we should grab a beer sometime. A couple cruiser guys and I have dinner every so often.....
Yep. We are in Eastern Encinitas. Lots of water moving this winter. Escondido Creek in North County is flowing well this week.

It would have been cool to see Coyote Creek flowing so high. That smaller drainage coming out of Sheep Canyon next to the camping area was likely flowing high as well.

Yes, let's grab a beer sometime. We can grab a couple other 40 and 80 series North County LC buddies. I will PM you.

New tires and bumper for FRED!

Well it seems I need to take my own advice I give my customers more often. I always tell customers that tires, brakes and steering are the most important things to have sorted in any vehicle. Was out driving Fred the other day and dropped into Discount Tire to have the tires on the truck looked at by them. I knew they were older and was thinking maybe 5 or 6 years old. Nope. 16 YEARS OLD!!!! The guy at the tire place said he didn't think he has seen ones that old before. I was sort of proud in a strange daredevil way :). I have driven the truck to mammoth 2x and on one trip to borrego. Guess I am lucky I did not have any blowouts.

I couldn't really afford it right now but decided to get new tires. Not worth the chance of failure. I also got in the ARB front bumper. Still have to install. Will wait till I get all the front end engine repairs done. Also picked up some chains for the snow.

IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4151.jpg

Where are you driving in the snow that you need chains?

Cool to see you guys making progress on the old cruiser :)

Where are you driving in the snow that you need chains?

Cool to see you guys making progress on the old cruiser :)
Have you been living under a rock? j/k, I have been going to mammoth a lot this season. Amazing deep snow. Took FRED up to Mammoth this past week. 2 days of fresh powder and the third day was a complete blow out / white out with high winds so headed home

69999362081__641A7DC3-883D-407D-BEBB-A6229C954E02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom