Builds My Backwoods Overland built URJ200 “Jolene”--- (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

General Update on the Truck:
Vermont Overland Rally: I took truck up to Vermont for the last week of September for the Vermont Overland Rally. There were a couple other 200s there. For the first day of the event, we kept it fairly tame with some easy forest roads--out goal was to hit up Hill Farmstead and Alchemist which involved about 250 miles of driving. I LOVE THE ICON suspension. We were bombing down a few dirt/gravel roads and the truck handled so well in those terrains. For day 2, we went after mostly blue level trails (moderate rating) and I enjoyed getting the truck in some off-camber and tight spots. In one situation, I had to fit her through two trees with about 3 inches of space on either side of the truck--I'm hoping someone has film of that. Overall, the truck was comfortable, it handled the terrain really well and I picked up my first pin-stripes (which I knew was going to happen and I just had to grin and bare it).
When I went to the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic (at Rausch Creek) this summer, I was the sole 200-series participant. There was one similarly tight passage I was being spotted through. The crowd of onlookers, mostly with 40's and 60's, got a real kick when I said "hang on a minute" and hit the power mirror folding switch. Sadly no video has emerged.

Here are a few photos of the National Luna Rear Hatch Install. In traffic and will get a write up soon.

3A07EE90-A6D3-4B32-886C-921B79C5B8BA.jpeg

389A31E7-5D63-471B-955B-2DE46A264840.jpeg

9CE97661-5BAA-4F2B-A47C-1A2913854E9F.jpeg

CA73C261-783E-404E-93BB-58AE06B95E86.jpeg

2C3660AD-EFC6-4D14-96F1-FC92FE8BE759.jpeg

Vermont Overland Rally: I took truck up to Vermont for the last week of September for the Vermont Overland Rally. There were a couple other 200s there. For the first day of the event, we kept it fairly tame with some easy forest roads--out goal was to hit up Hill Farmstead and Alchemist which involved about 250 miles of driving. I LOVE THE ICON suspension. We were bombing down a few dirt/gravel roads and the truck handled so well in those terrains. For day 2, we went after mostly blue level trails (moderate rating) and I enjoyed getting the truck in some off-camber and tight spots. In one situation, I had to fit her through two trees with about 3 inches of space on either side of the truck--I'm hoping someone has film of that. Overall, the truck was comfortable, it handled the terrain really well and I picked up my first pin-stripes (which I knew was going to happen and I just had to grin and bare it).

Hey Jason,
Really enjoyed seeing you again at VOBS.
Your 200 series is very well equipped and spawned several ideas for my own rig.
Especially looking forward to installing some of those rear hatch lights.
Drop me a line if your in Pittsburgh - first pint is on me.
Best,
Chris

I love this truck, I have been following you on IG as well. Lots of inspiration for ours for sure. Looking forward to seeing where your build goes from here.

Okay. For the National Luna Lights, the power for that we utilized for these lights was through the BlueSea fuse/power bank we installed on there passenger side of rear cargo area (under the side panel of the drawers). The wiring was ran through the cable tube from the rear door into the main compartment. That being said, we could have easily ran the wires over to the drivers side and clipped into the 12V socket that is always "on".

285/70/17s? Stance and truck look great!

Reason I ask / double check is that the tires look bigger than other 200s I’ve seen with similar lift. I was hoping to run 285/75/17 ko2s but they have either stopped making them or are in extended backorder, so I’ll be ordering 285/70s for the 2016.

My Baja Designs Light Bar issue has plagued me for nearly a year now, I fired off this message to Baja, Prinsu, and CBI today. We'll see how this shakes out.

Jason/Trent/Prinsu/CBI,

I'm reaching out this morning to see if we can talk on the phone next week. If you recall, I worked with you all in June, 2018 and again in August/September 2018 on a warranty issue surrounding my S8 40" Light Bar. The light bar was purchased through Prinsu Designs in tandem with a Prinsu Roof Rack for my 200 Series Land Cruiser on January 25, 2018 and installed in March/April 2018. Almost immediately, I started to notice condensation and water build up within the housing of the Light Bar when the truck was exposed to the elements. I then worked with Baja in Late May/early June to have the original unit shipped back to Prinsu (which I paid for) to address the water issue, the light was returned and installed in late June. Moving to late July/early August, the unit started to malfunction to the point that it became in-operable---I suspected that the electronics likely failed after constant exposure to moisture. Again, we (Baja and I) worked to resolve the issue with the unit--you all sent out a complete replacement unit that we (Nick Atwell-Backwoods Overland and I) installed directly out of the box and onto the truck. Within a month, I again found that water was building up in the housing (mostly within the 2 outer lens compartments). This go around, I have opened the compartment to allow the water to drain from time to time, taking meticulous steps to ensure that the bolts were all re-installed correctly (criss-cross tightening/25lbs torque). Last weekend, Nick Atwell and I pulled the lenses again to allow the water to drain and this unit started to malfunction the same as the Original Light Bar back in August 2018--the 10" outer section on the drivers side flashed repeatedly for about 10 seconds and then shut off entirely--also on the outer section over the passenger side, 1 of the lights does not function at all).

**NOTE: In the attached embedded pictures, you can clearly see that the water and dirt/dust are able to penetrate the light housing between the front facing lens bolts

I took the time to upload this video to YOUTUBE for your review and assessment:

I'm reaching out today to figure out a path forward. I'm at my wits end with trying to keep a $1000+ product from being unusable. I want to understand how Baja and Prinsu/CBI can remediate this situation for me--I'm starting to think that this is a joint design/engineering issue with both Baja and Prinsu/CBI. I'm absolutely leery about putting yet another S8 Light Bar on my truck as I'm to the point that I'm pretty tired of this situation happening (over and over--pretty much the definition of Insanity---doing something again and again, expecting different results). I want to pose the following questions to both Baja and Prinsu/CBI to try to resolve this issue both for me and for future customers:
  • Is the S8 Light Bar that Prinsu sells from Baja not compatible, not a good product to have on Prinsu Racks? This question focuses on the idea that the lenses on the S8 Light Bar are not completely sealed and the Prinsu Mounting location leaves the Light Bar exposed to all weather elements, thus increasing the opportunity for condensation and particulate buildup within the housing? More so, if the Light Bar were mounted under a component of the Rack, would that provide more protection for the housing? (Think FrontRunner Racks/Mounting location)
  • When mounting the S8 Light Bar onto a Prinsu Rack, should the customer seal the lenses/housing with a silicon for added protection from the elements (which would fly in the face of the UService capability that Baja champions with it's products)? This is in relation to the first question but goes a step further in trying to mitigate the issue that I've continually experienced since the original unit was installed. Note: I'm not aware of the engineering design patterns of the S8 and if sealing the lenses with silicon would cause issues with heat dissipation. Thoughts?
  • Are the Baja Lights not designed for areas of the world that receive a lot of rain/moisture? This is a real question--I'm on the east coast and we had 66 inches of rain last year--with a product that's designed and promoted for an arid climate (Baja)...maybe this is the issue that I'm experiencing? Note: The S2 Lights I have mounted on the side of the Rack (driver/passenger) have been great and there have been no issues of condensation build up).
  • If Baja Designs can not guarantee this this issue can be resolved, can I please receive my money back from Baja or Prinsu/CBI for this product? I'm extremely serious about this request. It's entirely unacceptable that a year later, I still don't have a product that functions as designed and I should be treated fairly in this request. Yes, I understand this is probably the most extreme response I can ask for but I'm frustrated with this situation and I'm tired of dealing with it.

I look forward to your response to the questions and how we will move forward with this customer service issue. I hope that the resolution will be positive for all involved.

Thanks,

Jason Grogg

This is a bummer as I have the same light set to go on the rack on our 4Runner. I haven't ever had any issues with any of the BD lights I have owned over the past three years so I am hoping that this is a rare or isolated event. Thanks for sharing in detail your issues, it's good to have these things documented like this.

That's a sweet truck you have there! That sucks about your BD lights. I've had rigid's and a few other knock offs fail but my BD lights have been rock solid. I really hope they do right by you. Are those the lightforce Genesis LED driving lights? How do you like them compared to the LP9's for output? Has BD got your LP9's back to you yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom