My 1971 fj40 never had a stereo. Anyone know how i can wire in a stereo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will need a 12v power source and a little creativity in routing speaker wiring and mounting speakers.Other than that it's fairly simple.

I spent quite a bit on equipment and speaker boxes along with lots of time running wiring and all for nothing.I can't hear a damn thing when I'm driving over the roar of the engine and hum of the tires :meh:

My 1971 fj40 never had a stereo. Anyone know how i can wire in one?

The easiest way is just to put a bluetooth speaker on top of your dash and play your phone library through it.

Other than that, you can put an amp under a seat or in the glove box and hook up some speakers and and a source like a phone. You can get 12v power from the fuse block. Speaker wiring will depend on where you put them.

If you want a conventional car stereo in the radio opening in the dash, you can buy miniature ones that will fit in there. You can get 12v power from the fuse block. Speaker wiring will depend on where you put them.

There are some existing threads that show all of the above.

The easiest way is just to put a bluetooth speaker on top of your dash and play your phone library through it.

Other than that, you can put an amp under a seat or in the glove box and hook up some speakers and and a source like a phone. You can get 12v power from the fuse block. Speaker wiring will depend on where you put them.

If you want a conventional car stereo in the radio opening in the dash, you can buy miniature ones that will fit in there. You can get 12v power from the fuse block. Speaker wiring will depend on where you put them.

There are some existing threads that show all of the above.

Thanks! But I wonder if add a fuses are available for the round glass fuses like they are for the blade style

Post pics so someone can stop you from cutting a stereo into a clean dash on a clean truck.

I’m getting a Kenwood amp with Bluetooth so I can tuck it away and just use my phone as a head unit. My rig is 100% stock. No way I’m cutting the dash! It would be pretty cool to put in a double din Android stereo though.

Thanks! Now this might be a dumb question but what’s the best fuse to tap?

Well your choices are on/off with ignition, or constant power, so pick whatever position in the stock fuse block that suits your need (there are some of both).

Ditto on 1911's comment above.
Add a Bluetooth speaker and play music via wireless from your phone.

To avoid cutting the dash or drilling any new holes, I spent a lot of time installing a radio-CD player in the glove box.
One speaker fit up under the cowl to the right of the glove box and the other is under the middle seat.

I would never do it again.
We have 3 wireless Bluetooth speakers that are also radios and the sound is terrific and you can take it wherever you are going.

We have a Sony that is about 10" long and 3" diameter, 2 Lbs., that runs about 24 hours without a charge.
Power it from the cigarette lighter.

Also have a bigger Ion Tailgater that runs on 12 volt, Integral lead acid battery runs 50 hours on a charge, PA system, Bluetooth speaker, radio, about 10" x 12" x 12"
The sound is incredible.
Each of those was about $100-$120 and no installation to fool with.

Ditto on 1911's comment above.
Add a Bluetooth speaker and play music via wireless from your phone.

To avoid cutting the dash or drilling any new holes, I spent a lot of time installing a radio-CD player in the glove box.
One speaker fit up under the cowl to the right of the glove box and the other is under the middle seat.

I would never do it again.
We have 3 wireless Bluetooth speakers that are also radios and the sound is terrific and you can take it wherever you are going.

We have a Sony that is about 10" long and 3" diameter, 2 Lbs., that runs about 24 hours without a charge.
Power it from the cigarette lighter.

Also have a bigger Ion Tailgater that runs on 12 volt, Integral lead acid battery runs 50 hours on a charge, PA system, Bluetooth speaker, radio, about 10" x 12" x 12"
The sound is incredible.
Each of those was about $100-$120 and no installation to fool with.

I thought about going Bluetooth but I want a sub and some bass to drown out the engine. Lol

I thought about going Bluetooth but I want a sub and some bass to drown out the engine. Lol

My experience only: big enough speakers and amp(s) to drown out the wind noise, tire noise, and engine noise on the highway gave me a headache (since I had to turn them up so loud). Around town is OK though. I took out the previous owner's setup.

I’m running two (paired in stereo) UE Megaboom Bluetooth speakers. They sounds great, secured in between the side window glass and the rear side roll bar. If you want to hear your music better, wear ear plugs.

I’d be shocked if you’ve never heard of Crutchfield, but here is a link to their marine stuff. I’m not sure you mentioned it, but I love to run without a top (just a bimini) and doors in the summer and a couple of times a year, things get REALLY wet! I’d probably only put marine grade equipment/connections in, if you’re going the full stereo/amp set up.

My wired-in stereo doesn't really compete with the engine/wind noise when the top is off.

What I had in mind for a Bluetooth wireless speaker is the kind you can use as a PA system.
ION makes these in a variety of sizes from the size of a lunchbox up to the size of a suitcase complete with wheels.
My wife has an ION Bluetooth tailgater, 50 watts, 50 hour run time off of power, 17 pounds about $120.
I was so impressed with the sound out of this thing that I bought 2 more for relatives.

They offer an "ION Bluetooth Block Rocker" 100 watts, 22 Lbs. 10" x 18" x 15" priced at $160.
A quick search also turned up one that is 500 watts.... too much.

These have integral 12 volt lead-acid batteries but plug into 120VAC.
I'm sure they could be wired to get power from the truck but the quick install would be an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket..

Ion Block Rocker.jpg

My wired-in stereo doesn't really compete with the engine/wind noise when the top is off.

What I had in mind for a Bluetooth wireless speaker is the kind you can use as a PA system.
ION makes these in a variety of sizes from the size of a lunchbox up to the size of a suitcase complete with wheels.
My wife has an ION Bluetooth tailgater, 50 watts, 50 hour run time off of power, 17 pounds about $120.
I was so impressed with the sound out of this thing that I bought 2 more for relatives.

They offer an "ION Bluetooth Block Rocker" 100 watts, 22 Lbs. 10" x 18" x 15" priced at $160.
A quick search also turned up one that is 500 watts.... too much.

These have integral 12 volt lead-acid batteries but plug into 120VAC.
I'm sure they could be wired to get power from the truck but the quick install would be an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket..

View attachment 1982524
Not the most elegant solution but I guess it would work

acrylic sheet on the roll bar, radio box from marine supply store below it, with Radio Shck mini speakers on each corner. Power from the dome light wire.
cruiser radio mount (7).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom