Builds Mr. Torgue's 2010 GX460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The crack is ginormous. And yes, that’s what she said.

346483E6-AE38-42CF-A50A-594400285DB7.jpeg

REALLY annoying when the crack is in your line of sight, looking straight ahead when driving.
Had a small crack a couple years ago, low on the passengers side. It was able to be "glued" and it's unnoticeable unless you're looking for it.

REALLY annoying when the crack is in your line of sight, looking straight ahead when driving.
Had a small crack a couple years ago, low on the passengers side. It was able to be "glued" and it's unnoticeable unless you're looking for it.
Fun fact. I have a chip RIGHT in the middle of the line of foresee sight on the windscreen. Got that on the 5400mi trip in June. Super annoying.

• Sad
Reactions: r2m
A week and about ~500 miles later and we’re nearly empty again. The temperature gauge never goes above slightly below middle so it isn’t overheating.

I do not see any leaking near or on the water pump so rule that out. Nothing down the front of the engine and again no puddles in the driveway. This week I’m going to put it up in ramps and take a closer look up the back and sides of the engine and the top of the trans to see if I see anything. This sucks because; a) it’ll be expensive to fix its looking like and b) our new RAV4 Prime won’t be at the dealer for another 7-10 days so we’re down to one vehicle.

2C91AC88-970F-4176-ACBA-20EEF82F2939.jpeg

This is a horrible thought, but you're not seeing white smoke out the tail pipe are you??

This is a horrible thought, but you're not seeing white smoke out the tail pipe are you??

No... It’s still cold so I’ll have my wife start it while I stand at the back. I do not remember seeing any when the vehicle is at operating temp.

A head gasket might be the same cost there abouts as the coolant valley leak since essentially about the same s*** needs to come off? Haha

Head gasket failure is pretty unlikely unless the vehicle has been severely neglected or overheated. You'd also be getting some combustion gasses in the coolant too (on the compression stroke) and the engine might not be running that well. A 1UR is not a Subaru EJ25 (where head gaskets are 100k maintenance :)).

If you do want to rule out a head gasket you could do a compression test (pretty easy DIY on a 2UZ, not sure about a 1UR - depends on how hard the plugs are to get to).

Last edited:
Just thinking about all the sensor that are on our rigs, it that was the case, it'd seem like there would some light or another coming or throwing a code.

Yea I’m 100% sure it isn’t a head gasket. I’m sure I’ll know more once I can get it up on the ramps to get my head up in that craw to see what’s what.

Ordered these from China. Yes they are likely cheaper less durable plastic versus OEM. Yes they don’t seem to have the indention for the door lock sensor. BUT, they are all black and a cheap experiment. I’m wondering if it’ll still work with the sensors.

Oh and screw fake chrome. Hate it.

A4909E64-E7B6-4ED4-AB6E-620EE3C8174C.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Ordered these from China. Yes they are likely cheaper less durable plastic versus OEM. Yes they don’t seem to have the indention for the door lock sensor. BUT, they are all black and a cheap experiment. I’m wondering if it’ll still work with the sensors.

View attachment 2905293
I decided to just mask and plastidip mine. Going to do it tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes.

View attachment 2905293
I believe I have seen others have tried similar knock offs and the sensors have not worked for the lock / unlock hand touch. Interested to see what you find.

I decided to just mask and plastidip mine. Going to do it tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes.
If you're going to do that I would remove the handles completely and then paint. Not getting any of the plastidip on the inside where you grab the handle is going to cause a ridge and eventually (fairly quickly I would imagine) you're going to tear the paint film and then it's going to peel. Just my .02

If you're going to do that I would remove the handles completely and then paint. Not getting any of the plastidip on the inside where you grab the handle is going to cause a ridge and eventually (fairly quickly I would imagine) you're going to tear the paint film and then it's going to peel. Just my .02

Oh I’m just going to dip the chrome bit. Leaving the rest of the handle alone due to high peeling potential.

I believe I have seen others have tried similar knock offs and the sensors have not worked for the lock / unlock hand touch. Interested to see what you find.

It won’t be much of a loss for me since I don’t use those sensors much. I’ll update the thread when I get around to testing them.

View attachment 2905293
Just for giggles, if you have a set of calibers, measure the thickness of where your handle broke and your new ones and see if there is any difference in thickness.

Just for giggles, if you have a set of calibers, measure the thickness of where your handle broke and your new ones and see if there is any difference in thickness.
I did buy a set of calipers recently. :D

They are very handy! I have three different lengths in my garage (6", 12" and 18") and a 8" in my library. They are all good to a half thousand (0.0005") resolution.
Another thing I find useful are a pin gauge set! From about 0.011" to 0.25". Great for pinning holes for sizing.
But l'll save the tool talk for another time. I can seriously rabbit trail down that path!

They are very handy! I have three different lengths in my garage (6", 12" and 18") and a 8" in my library. They are all good to a half thousand (0.0005") resolution.
Another thing I find useful are a pin gauge set! From about 0.011" to 0.25". Great for pinning holes for sizing.
But l'll save the tool talk for another time. I can seriously rabbit trail down that path!
I’m more curious what you’re measuring in your library.

Too much personal info. Deleted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom