Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turned out great @spazzyfry123

As I'm searching to add my first Land Cruiser to the driveway (a 75-series Troopy at that), you're previously posted OwlVans images got me thinking if anyone has done something like that for the hinges on the Troopy.

I know that on their site they show 'need' for 180* swing doors, as well as a single hole drilled into the vehicle door. With a rear wheel mounted on the right hand rear door, something like yours could work well. I'd have to double the capacity with a carrier plate of sorts to that the receiver adapter. Without a door/bumper mounted spare, that plate design at OWL is mighty nice.

Obviously hinge design/spacing being much closer is one possible obstacle.

I'm waiting on my hitch mounted 1up to arrive via FEDEX guy any moment now. This could always end up being transferred between vehicles if need-be.
Keep in mind that the hitch mounted 1UP doesn't use the same tray as the roof rack variant. The roof rack tray has T-slot that runs the entire length and the hitch mount one does not.

For my use, I needed to ensure I received the roof rack as my design relied heavily on the carriage bolt use. Food for thought.

Still working great for me. Next revision will be coming up with a 90° mount to suck the bike in to the truck. May utilize a hinge design of sorts to have ease of load/unload and then turn it for travel. We'll see....

I’ve never seen bikes carried like this before. Pretty interesting.
D0D5A0E0-1312-49CC-A77B-59DBCBB1F1E0.jpeg

^^ i have seen them in heeps and fj40's with the top off
Down here near the border it is not uncommon to see one Toyota "pickup" --always with a 4-cyclinder, they will not buy the 6 --towing another Toyota "pickup". The beds of the trucks filled with more toyota parts typically, but sometime stuff with bicycles.

I had the last post in that MTBR thread. Those Tygart River racks were what I lusted over every time I saw one. Usually at the Gauley River.

I recently saw one here at Dupont State Forrest.

Another vote for 1upusa...

I had a Thule vertex 5 bike rack and it was a PITA. Bikes bounced around, fork stanctions were scratched and that was enough for me to put it on Craigslist.

The 1up will carry between 1 and 4 bikes. I don't recall how small of a bike it will hold but for sure it will hold 20, 24, 26, 27.5, 29" in bikes. Will work with road bikes and fat bikes. As stable as can be. No bike damage during transit - on or off road. Ridiculously easy to mount/dismount rack, and bikes. I love it. It folds up and down.

With my labs rear bumper I use a hitch extension from Amazon and it fits perfectly with my 35" spare

what length hitch extension is needed for your setup with a 35" spare on a swing-out?

What would you recommend for a Land Cruiser 200 hitch mount rack? I have a Yakima 2-bike tray rack at the moment, but the 2 kids have bigger bikes that don’t fit in the car anymore and we’re riding 2-3x/week. The Yakima I have now does not fold or swing, so I can’t open the lower tailgate all the way (use a towel for padding, but not ideal). I am searching for a 3-4x bike carrier that will allow me to fully open the tailgate - AND something that is light enough I can take it on & off frequently. I park in tight city garages and can’t keep a hitch rack on all the time.
Thanks!
16C81D1E-8045-4C1B-85B4-96DDB0E090E5.jpeg

I just bought the 1up USA Equip-D, but their models can be accessorized for 4x bikes and swing out. Weight at that capacity/functionality will be difficult to minimze with cheaper racks, eve nthe 4x swingdaddy from yakima, which would be the most similar to your current set up. You'll be able to re-sell your current rack to recoup some of the costs to upgrade.

def the premium price point out there, but heirloom quality.

What would you recommend for a Land Cruiser 200 hitch mount rack? I have a Yakima 2-bike tray rack at the moment, but the 2 kids have bigger bikes that don’t fit in the car anymore and we’re riding 2-3x/week. The Yakima I have now does not fold or swing, so I can’t open the lower tailgate all the way (use a towel for padding, but not ideal). I am searching for a 3-4x bike carrier that will allow me to fully open the tailgate - AND something that is light enough I can take it on & off frequently. I park in tight city garages and can’t keep a hitch rack on all the time.
Thanks!
I've been running the standard 1up racks for the past 3 years and at this point in my life, wouldn't buy anything else. It's just so much easier to use than the rest, and I have the original "basic" version that @nonstopbike linked. My load will vary between 1 to 4 bikes depending on the day and my wife needs to be able to install and remove the racks as well. So having something modular was a big factor. We currently have a single super duty 2", double heavy duty 2", and two add-ons. If I'm not taking 4 bikes, I find it easier to install the single then 1 or 2 add-ons. The single is easy to lift off with one hand and carry around.

Thanks!
View attachment 2609758
If you are hauling 4 mountain bikes nothing beats North shore. I had a 1up, it was great for 2 bikes, when I added 2 more trays to carry 4 it became awkward to use and huge.

~5 years ago I sold the 1up and got a North shore. The north shore is less then half the weight, stores easily, doesn’t hang nearly as far of the back, doesn’t obstruct tail lights, bikes come on and off extremely easy,...

I have pictures further up in the thread of the North shore on my LX.

If you are hauling 4 mountain bikes nothing beats North shore. I had a 1up, it was great for 2 bikes, when I added 2 more trays to carry 4 it became awkward to use and huge.

~5 years ago I sold the 1up and got a North shore. The north shore is less then half the weight, stores easily, doesn’t hang nearly as far of the back, doesn’t obstruct tail lights, bikes come on and off extremely easy,...

+1

When I started this whole thread I didn’t have the Tundra that gets the pad over the tailgate most the time when I drive.

(Frankly, I’d rather come back to my Tundra vandalized than the 80, real truth ;) )

I did a North Shore 4 on my 80 & with a little tweaking it clears both Hanna bumper swingouts full of bikes.

It was a few $$, but the North Shore for vert orientation works great looking backwards in traffic / RR window.

Loaded & in reverse / relying on your backup cam you may need to adjust between bikes 2 & 3 to get some visibility

Horizontal bike racks make the rear lower 1/2 glass totally useless out on the interstate/lane change, EMS rigs, etc.

————————

So that became the pro/con situation for me -

Vertical holder & adjust to use the backup cam & keep decent RR glass field of view beat the horizontal that looked like the backup cam would need to “see” through the bike frames (harder to adjust for IMO), and you lose more RR glass visibility.

So IMO you need to decide on which orientation you want, then pick the best of the ones that work in that way for you.

HTH all, @Sverige being the latest to ask.

So IMO you need to decide on which orientation you want, then pick the best of the ones that work in that way for you.
This is a VERY good point to bring up. Deciding between vertical and horizontal style racks would be the first decision, followed by manufacturer. Why buy a pick up when you need a SUV sort of thing.

For me, the 1up with 4 bikes is a bit of a pain but still workable. I need the modular aspect more than anything else as my bike load varies. But North Shore and 1up make two different style racks and you really can't compare the two to one another. It would be nice to have the 4 place NS rack for the times that I need to bring all 4 on the back of my LC, but those times are not frequent enough to justify spending more money.

I agree with this ...I have the 1Up and it is gigantic with 4 bikes. My ideal setup is a single bike 1Up for daily use and then a vertical rack like the North Shore for 4 bike days.

I agree with this ...I have the 1Up and it is gigantic with 4 bikes. My ideal setup is a single bike 1Up for daily use and then a vertical rack like the North Shore for 4 bike days.
I have 4 bikes and trying to find a workable solution for dual rear swingouts on my Kaymar bumper. I have a Kuat horizontal rack with a Pivot 2.0. and the problem with the 200 is the high hitch mount so when you install a custom rear bumper it severely limits hitch accessories that like to sit above the hitch like most bike racks do. The Pivot 2.0 (similar to RakAttach) failed out the box due to this limitation as it sits higher than the hitch so I tested with a Kuat hitch extension and also no joy. Anybody know of any racks that stay flush with the hitch mount and can be extended horizontally away and then be lowered (to allow the swing outs to clear the rack? So far I've only found one solid option on MUD which is Lolo Racks - one MUD user shared photos of how it drops down to the floor and allows his dual swing outs to clear. Would love it if North Shore or VelociRAX were proven to work in this scenario.
Thanks in advance if anyone can offer help :bang::beer:

I have 4 bikes and trying to find a workable solution for dual rear swingouts on my Kaymar bumper. I have a Kuat horizontal rack with a Pivot 2.0. and the problem with the 200 is the high hitch mount so when you install a custom rear bumper it severely limits hitch accessories that like to sit above the hitch like most bike racks do. The Pivot 2.0 (similar to RakAttach) failed out the box due to this limitation as it sits higher than the hitch so I tested with a Kuat hitch extension and also no joy. Anybody know of any racks that stay flush with the hitch mount and can be extended horizontally away and then be lowered (to allow the swing outs to clear the rack? So far I've only found one solid option on MUD which is Lolo Racks - one MUD user shared photos of how it drops down to the floor and allows his dual swing outs to clear. Would love it if North Shore or VelociRAX were proven to work in this scenario.
Thanks in advance if anyone can offer help :bang::beer:

I have a VelociRAX 5 arriving at the end of April. I don't have a custom rear bumper, but should still be able to figure out some clearances / distances relative to the hitch receiver that could help answer your questions. Remind me at the end of April in case I forget (that is if you're still waiting to purchase something at that point).

I started making this yesterday. Bolts to a bracket on the swing arm in the centre of the spare tyre and hopefully clears the hatch when the swing arm opens... I was limited for choice with the dual swing arms and tyres as I still wanted access to the back of the 60... and wasn’t keen on spending nearly $600).
Will modify, fully weld and paint today, and put some better pics up when complete...
1F4F3A6B-3A47-49E6-8D26-F98A83719A6A.jpeg

I ended up replacing the tray racks with a Yakima Hangover 4. Pretty happy with it so far. Clears the tailgate when in the mid and full-down positions so I can access my tailgate again.
9AD4AB5B-2983-4E03-A85C-3875FA8DE066.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom