Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (1 Viewer)

We have the Kuat NV2 that’s on the truck 90% of the time. When we go on longer trips we also have their swing away adapter which is a great add on since we sleep in the back of the Hundo. It’s a much smoother than our old Thule rack.
B1360FBE-D589-4A57-A4FA-E76DA1CC5022.jpeg

67262C2A-9EEA-4424-A1D5-31CE81A7AC34.jpeg

An old Yakima/Rocky Mounts roof rack on the Toyota Echo in background.

We also have a 8020 rail mounted in the cargo area with a few fork mounts. It gets used when we need 3 or 4 bikes or when we want the bikes inside the truck which doesn’t happen as much these days.

I've got an ARB rear bumper that I'd like to have the bike go out with a swing-out. The spare tire swing out for the bumper has a hitch receiver. Is anyone aware of a vertical mount that utilizes a hitch receiver? I'm thinking something similar to the Surco, but vertical. Northshore is cool, but would put the bikes up way too high.

Love this idea. Wish it could retain the front wheel!

Land Shark

SILVER Star

When I carry my own bike around I use my single mount 1UPUSA. However, there are times when I need to haul additional bikes for the kids and their friends. I had some old Yakima roof mount trays laying around. Now, since I don't have bars any longer on the roof I had to get creative. I currently have the t-nuts track on the roof so just drilled a few holes in the tray and added the required hardware and bam there you have it. fairly easy to install and remove since I don't need them all the time.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG
IMG_9192.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG

I've got an ARB rear bumper that I'd like to have the bike go out with a swing-out. The spare tire swing out for the bumper has a hitch receiver. Is anyone aware of a vertical mount that utilizes a hitch receiver? I'm thinking something similar to the Surco, but vertical. Northshore is cool, but would put the bikes up way too high.

Love this idea. Wish it could retain the front wheel!
look up veloci rack. See if they’ll sell their front wheel holder by itself. Then you could make something pretty easily with that

look up veloci rack. See if they’ll sell their front wheel holder by itself. Then you could make something pretty easily with that
Not bad! I was thinking of creating a 1UP, but vertical, with two of their Van Trays and maybe something like some L-track to mount / position if I wanted to add a second set.

One of those Veloci Rax up top would make mounting a breeze, though.

1606097679824.png

For those with the 1UP systems, what is actually securing the bike down? Is there a pin that slides through or something that keeps the "arm" in place? In my application, I'd want to make sure nothing would shift with it mounted 90° from intended.

4-Right-Facing-open-close-van-tray.gif

4x4Labs has a swing-out kit that you can build yourself, too. Could be an option to have a good base to fab to your needs. Both skewer and wheel-on variants.

1606098237969.png

Not bad! I was thinking of creating a 1UP, but vertical, with two of their Van Trays and maybe something like some L-track to mount / position if I wanted to add a second set.

One of those Veloci Rax up top would make mounting a breeze, though.

View attachment 2504039

For those with the 1UP systems, what is actually securing the bike down? Is there a pin that slides through or something that keeps the "arm" in place? In my application, I'd want to make sure nothing would shift with it mounted 90° from intended.

View attachment 2504029
There's a ratchet mechanism attached to the red lever to prevent the arm from opening. I've had a similar idea of making a vertical carrier out of my one ups. Working on a home brew rack at the moment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom