Most Desirable Year of Fj60-62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I said. After a while, that cranky starting problem will just grow really old.

or you could just fix whats wrong with it.
mine starts with in just a few turns.....i'm sure it's not the only one here like it.

It's pretty simple, really. Do you want to be stuck at 65 mph or 85 plus? The 60's suck ass on the highway. No top end. Off road, no problem, other than the problematic pos carb. Overdrive makes all the difference. My 62 will run 100 for hours on end, no problem. You'll never do that in a 60, even with an H55, it can't pull the od gear, especially with taller rubber. I was never an auto fan, but you'd need a clutch in the 60 by the time you'd need an auto rebuild. In the end, fuel injection and overdrive overcome the automatic 10-1. This is my REAL WORLD experience, Ive had dozens of both. I love 60's, as long as they are where the wheeling is. If you have to drive there like I do...I'd pass.

I drive the 84 FJ60 and the 82 BJ60, I never consider driving 100 for any amount of time. If that were my consideration, I would own a different configuration. To me, reliability, steel and overall bad assedness is enough. I do not have an auto, but based on others I have driven, I think that would be awfull in a 60. Anyway I am sure there alot more experienced and informed individuals out there, just my .02

100 % correct......heck if you cannot offord a 5 speed get a 4 speed. I a 3fe will outlast any othrer F motor when they are tuned right.....;)that is why I had 400 k on my last on. btw a 62 frame is stronger than a 60, the axle hosings are stonger also. The auto is a really good tranny AS LONG AS THEY ARE KEPT COOL. You cure this by changing the fluid as needed and adding a tranny cooler
I would agree with the FJ-62 with the H55 behind it the 3fe has more horsepower and runs smoother and starts up easier with the fuel injection.

The main complaint about the 62's is the power sucking automatic.

personally a well tuned 3fe even with the auto will out run a 2f with the 4 speed from start to finish.

most 3fe's are not tuned right and most autos are not adjusted right.

cam

I drive the 84 FJ60 and the 82 BJ60, I never consider driving 100 for any amount of time. If that were my consideration, I would own a different configuration. To me, reliability, steel and overall bad assedness is enough. I do not have an auto, but based on others I have driven, I think that would be awfull in a 60. Anyway I am sure there alot more experienced and informed individuals out there, just my .02
I have both, drive and maintain both so I can compare on a daily basis. The 62 is better. That really does not mean the 60 is bad, just missing some very good design improvements.

It's pretty simple, really. Do you want to be stuck at 65 mph or 85 plus?

going 85 at altitude is not an option, unless you are going downhill. ask me how I know.

If you want to check out a 62, you can drive mine. She runs a little rough at idle though. I saw you on rising sun, so feel free to pm me on either forum.

If you can't find a FJ60 then I would buy a FJ80 with electric lockers.

And that's a ridiculous asking price.

Going 100 mph in a 60 or 62 is a ridiculous and stupid idea. I've also never had any problems starting my 60. A manual is a lot more fun to drive than a power sucking auto. If you want an auto, then buy an fzj80 with e-lockers.

well then why does the speedometer read up to 100? :rolleyes:

truly just a matter of opinion......some folks REALLY like jeeps!
With the 3b in my BJ, i would think an auto would be constantly shiffting, and thus ineffective. However, the 3b and H55 combo is great, both efficient and fun to drive.
The speedo is an interesting point, but power wagons from the 50's show top of 85, and that is even more unlikely than a 60 at 100

I have an 87 60 and a 90 62. No contest. Go with the 62. Heavier build, way easier to start. You just can't beat fuel injection. Running a 60 is like beating yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop.

Carb Rebuild time

Going 100 mph in a 60 or 62 is a ridiculous and stupid idea. I've also never had any problems starting my 60. A manual is a lot more fun to drive than a power sucking auto. If you want an auto, then buy an fzj80 with e-lockers.

It's thinking like yours that brought on the 55 mph speed limit. 100 is neither ridiculous, nor stupid. My vehicle is perfectly maintained, and easily capable of that speed. I was running WITH the traffic at the time, between the coast and San Antonio, Tx. There's not a freaking thing out there. Where's the line? I can't drive my 62 100, so I shouldn't drive my motorcycle 100? How about my XKE, will it be ridiculous to drive 100? Some cruisers I definitely wouldn't drive that fast. For this one, no problemo. The fact is, the auto has overdrive. No stateside 60 came with it. I have owned more 60's than I can count, starting with my first one in 84. I love 60's. I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't like driving 60. The issue is really not the vehicle, it's the gearing. One of my Fj40s had a 383 stoker motor with over 350 horsepower. I never drove it over 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom