More H55f Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
If you saw the other thread about H55fs you saw my tranny t-case in progress. Tonight I got the rear output preload shims from Cruiserdan. To get the right preload I had to install, test, un-install, drive out the race, new shim, re-install, 3 times! It took about an hour. I was able to bolt up that part of the case and snap a pic. As usual, Cruiserdan was invaluable here and sent me the shims by 2 day express. I bought almost a full set of shims and then Andrew (Asief007) offered to send me his set of out-put shims-thanks for the kind offer.

Right now I have the case basically done and bolted to the tranny. I'm waiting on the input shaft cover (new one on the way from guess who) since the old one was pretty corroded looking. I would have worked fine, but it looked like it came from New Jersey with rust pitting and ugly funk.

I was out in the garage shifting the tcase in and out of high range and engaging the 4 wheel drive-my wife thought I was nuts. I still have to either swap the output flanges or get some new ones, but I think my friend Jeff Kauffman on this board is coming to the rescue with the flanges off his parts cruiser.

Just a couple of pics:
H55ftcase2.jpg
H55ftcase1.jpg

Last edited:
You'll love that tranny when it's done. One word of advice: check to make sure the tranny will shift through all the gears prior to putting it in the rig - I've seen one circumstance where we installed a brand new tranny in a 60 and it wouldn't shift.

Cruisergreg said:
You'll love that tranny when it's done. One word of advice: check to make sure the tranny will shift through all the gears prior to putting it in the rig - I've seen one circumstance where we installed a brand new tranny in a 60 and it wouldn't shift.

Solution?

I was told specifically not to shift the tranny prior to filling it with gear oil and letting it spin in N with the t-case in N. Something about the syncros get jammed up or do something bad they are not supposed to. The tranny is shipped in gear to keep things still, so I just popped it into neutral before beginning my rebuild. No more shifting until it has oil in it. I don't know how true this is, but since our local guy who does these (Mudrak) said to do that way, I'm going to.

Cruiserdrew said:
I was out in the garage shifting the tcase in and out of high range and engaging the 4 wheel drive-my wife thought I was nuts.

Were you puckering up your mouth and saying "Vrooom, vrooooooom, vrooooooom" as you were doing that, Andy?
:D

Dave

Cruiserdrew said:
I was told specifically not to shift the tranny prior to filling it with gear oil and letting it spin in N with the t-case in N. Something about the syncros get jammed up or do something bad they are not supposed to. The tranny is shipped in gear to keep things still, so I just popped it into neutral before beginning my rebuild. No more shifting until it has oil in it. I don't know how true this is, but since our local guy who does these (Mudrak) said to do that way, I'm going to.
That's interesting because the troublesome tranny CAME from Mudrak who at the time specifically said we should have checked the shifting prior to mating it to the t-case. Hmmmmm

Cruisergreg said:
That's interesting because the troublesome tranny CAME from Mudrak who at the time specifically said we should have checked the shifting prior to mating it to the t-case. Hmmmmm
I said to shift it into neutral . As it is transported in gear. If this was the one that robby installed .
I remember that one . That was most likley dropped by UPS and the syncro got jamed onto the input shaft. How does it drive now?
Gary

This may sound kinda silly but I a m gonna ask anyweay...how did you set the pre load???

calfj60 said:
This may sound kinda silly but I a m gonna ask anyweay...how did you set the pre load???

I should have taken a pic. The 6 bolt housing over the rear output shaft has a bearing race on the back side. To adjust the preload, you unbolt the housing, drive out the race with a drift, put a different shim under the race, and drive it back in. THe thickness of the shim determines the preload on the output bearing which lives on the output shaft itself. It's conceptually easy, but a PIA to get right.

I guess I should have been more specific....how did you measure the preload???

Gotcha-an inch pound torque wrench.

Mudrak said:
I said to shift it into neutral . As it is transported in gear. If this was the one that robby installed .
I remember that one . That was most likley dropped by UPS and the syncro got jamed onto the input shaft. How does it drive now?
Gary
This was one we installed ourselves here in Albuquerque (not mine) in 2000. It was installed in whatever gear it arrived in as we didn't put the shifter on until after it was in the truck. But with everything buttoned up and off the rack the tranny wouldn't shift. Finally we took the top cover off and manually pushed and pulled the internal shift mechanism until things freed up.

I could be wrong, Gary, because I didn't speak with you directly but my buddy says that operating on the theory that the assembly lube used in mfrg created a hydraulic lock once everything was fitted, you suggested running through the gears to eliminate it before installation. I did that with mine and it worked fine from the get-go.

FWIW, that other tranny worked fine after we freed things up until the rig was destroyed in a head-on with a drunk in 2003.

PabloCruise said:
:Is the owner o-k?

Did you guys find a new home for the H55? If not, let me know...
Guy walked away shaken but not stirred, testament to the crash worthiness of TLCs even from the pre-air bag era. Cops thought the other driver was probably going 90 when they hit.

Ironically, the tranny and some rear axle components were the only salvageable portions of the drivetrain - everythings else was vaporized.

That tranny lives on in another local rig...

stupid question, but is the h55f tranny the non us 5 speed? just got home from putting 800 miles on my new 84 60 and it sure would be nice to have a 5 speed, love the truck, towed my sisters tent trailer home thru 40c heat yesterday no problem, just got to fix the air now!!

Mudrak said:
Gary

Highjack Highjack.....

Hey Garry, did you install the toy box on the H55 yet?

I have not seen this combo together yet.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom