Members Tire Choices (Renamed to not confuse with the other thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interco Trxus 35x12.5x16 (previously 33x12.5x15)

1995 FZJ80 3" Lift

Considerations for Purchase

- Tire had to perform well in all snow conditions from extreme conditions in the Colorado High Country to hardpack around town to deep trail snow

- Tires had to be comfortable and safe for a family of six...no excessive road noise or harshness or poor handling

- Excellent rock crawling tire that can handle both rock and unexpected snow conditions in potential precarious conditions (ledge roads)

- Must have excellent lateral traction

- Reasonable road wear acceptable as mileage is 5K per year

- No smallish 315's that are the size of 34" trxus

Performance

I have run these tires three different times, two of which replaced BFG AT ko's. In a 33" size, they are as quiet as the BFG's, but dramatically outperform them in all snow conditions including hardpack. 35's are something of a different beast. You know you are running a large load range E tire, but I've never run 315 BFG AT's to compare.

Due to the much heavier sidewall, this tire can be run at about 5 PSI less than BFG AT's for the same level of handling, and I have found them to be a more comfortable "around town" tire because of this. They soak up the bumps much better.

As a snow tire, the trxus MT is simply unbelievable. I used to "white knuckle" around in BFG AT ko's, and lose traction in mild offroad conditions, and these things perform like a dedicated snow tire. I trust 4 small kids and my wife in sometimes very ugly conditions, and there is no tire I would rather have in those rapidly changing conditions.

Offroad performance is excellent and they are tough tires. Lateral traction is outstanding.

You will balance and rotate every 3K, and maybe sooner - make sure free balance and rotation is included in your purchase. Some say that no one tire does everything well. I disagree. This is a true all terrain in a true 35" size. Get to know your tire guy and you'll love this tire.

Recommend

Cannot recommend this tire highly enough for people who rock crawl in the summer and deal with snow 6-8 months out of the year on and off the trail. But it is a lot of tire and probably not the best for a daily commuter tire.

Toyo Open Country MT 315/75/16

1997 LX450 850J's in Front and 863J's in rear. L Shocks

Considerations for Purchase:

I had been driving with 285 BFG AT KOs and had been real happy with them. There had been a couple of ocassions that I slipped when a more aggresive tire may not have. I had just bought Sarah a LX450 and it needed different tires. So, I took the opportunity to upgrade and moved the 285's to Sarah's truck and put the 315 Toyo's on my truck. This is part of my long term plan in building my truck to have 35's, and the way the BFG's were wearing, it would have been a few more years. Since I had to get tires now for one truck, I utilized the opportunity.

I debated a while between these and the cooper STT. Both tires seemed like a good choice.

The thread this was debated on can be found here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=114850

Specs, rationale and arguments back and forth

Performance:
I haven't had a chance to wheel with them. I did see MOJ's truck wheel on the loose crap at Flat Nasty and it did perform a lot better than my truck. The highway noise was not much more (if any) than my BFG AT KO's. I would still recommend the BFG AT KO's for those looking for an All terrain tire, but if you want to step up to something that is more agressive and built like a tank, this is the tire.

Recommend:
Yes
Mods Tire exhaust 016.jpg
After J's and L's 007.jpg

Last edited:
First pic stock Michelins on unmoded 1996 LC.
0ab870e6fdea80eab6101a31e61146d7_525.jpg

Next pic Revo's 285-75-16, OME stock height springs, Bilstein HD shocks.
dsc06133-187_525.jpg

Most recent pics with latest mods!
dsc06493-132_525.jpg

Nitto Terra Grappler 295/75 R16

Nitto Terra Grappler 295/75 R16

1993 FZJ80, OME 850/863

Considerations for Purchase

At this time my 80 was also my daily driver, so I needed a tire that performed well on and off road.
After reading many reviews both on MUD and elsewhere, I decided to go for the Nittos.
I debated between 285/75s 305/70s and the 295/75s, and chose to go with the 295/75 R16s because they would give me a little more clearance, they looked right on a lifted 80, and reports said they would fit without any rubbing issues.

Performance

The tires balanced very easily, and I immediately noticed how smooth and quiet they were on the road.
Shortly after getting the Terra Grapplers I made a road trip from Utah to Bozeman Montana in the dead of winter. I encountered miles and miles of continuous ice and hard-packed snow driving through Island Park. The tires performed so well I had to stop and verify that the road was actually covered with ice.
I've had them off road in various southern Utah conditions, and they have performed very well. Running them at 25 psi on my 6,000+ lb rig worked very well off road. I haven't had them in any serious mud yet.
They are wearing well so far (I'll add mileage later).
They are a very heavy, beefy tire. The extra diameter and weight was noticeable on the highway.

Recommended?

YES

I will add pics later

255/85/r16 Bfg Mt

Okay, I'll be the odd-ball w/ the tall, skinny tires.

Considerations for purchase:

I wanted a general use tire. Something that was easy on the road, i.e., helped with gas milage, was easy on the steering and braking, and wasn't a big, bulky tire. And something that performed great in the trails and decent in the rocks, i.e., easy to maneuver, nice narrow track width, tall and thick sidewalls w/ mud terrain tread, strong tire w/ solid construction.

Performance:

I went with the BFG MT's, size 255/85/16 beacuse they are a true 33inch tire (they are actually about 33.5"). My 80 is my DD and I am not a full-time rockcrawler (apparently some of you are), so I do not need a 35", or 37" tire. I do realize I sacrificed some rockcrawling ability when purchasing this tire. I purchased a tire that works best for me. I spend more time in the backwoods, mountains, and the trails leading to the "rockcrawling" than I do "in the rocks". I want to get in and out of where I'm going, and yes, sometimes over. These tires will do that. I haven't been "hard-core wheeling" /w them, but I'm not afraid to either. I will either get through on my own, or if I need a "tug", I'm not embarassed.

This size and brand is a dependable tire that suits my needs. And I'm not afraid to go anywhere or follow anyone with them.

Recommended?

Yes, for value and needs!

Height-28575vs25585.jpg

RideHeight-Increase.jpg

SideView-After.jpg

Last edited:
MTRs

Present: 315/75R16 Goodyear MTRs mounted on stock rims
Past: 35x12.50R16 Swamper TSLs on stock rims

Process:

I needed new tires because the swampers I bought with the truck were chunked and couldn't be used for as much as I drive on the road.

MTRs attracted me since they are good all round tires and could handle more road time.

Results:

MTRs are not a good tire for the east coast (or at least the southeast). They do great on rock, but add mud and leaves and they don't void nearly enough to make it through or over a lot of the things down here. I suspect in a dry climate with rock/sand and the occassional water it would ideal.

Recommend:
Yes, for anyone living anywhere but the Pacific NW, the NE, or the SE US.
No if you live in these areas. If you wheel get swampers. If you adventure go for a Toyo or something other than these in the geographies I mentioned the MTR not working well in.

Personally, I am going to a 37" Irok radial next time. I want to be able to dig when I get into the muck down here.

Clean2Small.jpg

Looks like I should have no problem then installing 305/70R16 on my FJ80 that already has a 2" lift? Is that correct?

Looks like I should have no problem then installing 305/70R16 on my FJ80 that already has a 2" lift? Is that correct?

Correct

Toyo Open Country MT 315/75/16

1997 FZJ80 850J's & 2" MetalTech spacer in Front and 863J's in rear. L Shocks

I was stepping up in tire size from a 33" Trxus. I was looking for something with good road manners that would be aggressive enough for the type of wheeling that we have in the Pacific Northwest and that had a strong enough sidewall.

Performance:
They do really well on the road, though a bit loud. Off road, they do really well in the dry. If you have any moisture, these tires are worthless... They get a lot worse with age. In the snow, all they want to do is dig, not float, even at 6 psi on an 8" rim. Good qualities include an amazing life span (I'm trying to wear them out!) and they are extreamly true (I've never balanced them and they have been on two sets of wheels).

Recommend:
Not in my neck of the woods! These have to be the worst tire I've ran in the Pacific Northwest... However, if your 80 stays dry and/or sees a lot of pavement, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

DSCN0027.jpg

100_0693.jpg

295/75 r16

295/75 R16 BFG KO

75mm OME HD

I use my truck as a DD and do alot of traveling / hunting and fishing so I needed a tire that would handle a wide range of terrain. This is my 4th set (2 on 88 4Runner and 2 on FZJ80) I have been getting over 70K miles per set. Spend time in West Texas so it had to be able to handle sharp rocks. Thought the 295 filled out the fender wells and wanted something at least 33" in Diameter.

Performance:
I am happy so far. They tend to clog up a little but I figured that would happen. They handle great on and off road. Have not had a flat tire yet. Not happy that the price continues to climb.

Recommend:
Yes
DSC00332.jpg

Tire Choice

Firestone Destination A/T 285 75 16

My Cruiser is my Daily Driver. I wanted a tire that would do it all, year 'round

I do 90% on road driving, yet I live 2 miles up a dirt road.

Love to "off road" here in the mountains, yet I do 2000 mile road trips commonly.

I'm in the gravel, bare rock, ice and snow on freeways and around town.

I wanted a tire that was good on ice, and low on hydroplaning (A/T KO's were bad for that)

It had to be affordable, yet tough, and get good mileage thru low rolling resistance.

That's a tall order for one tire.

Performance:

I nearly slid off a cliff on on my icy road, on my AT KO's, which also hydroplaned. At that point I determined to find a tire with better ice performance. Did tons of research. No un-studded tire is going to be "great" on ice, but these performed admirably under a 3 ton truck on ice, churned thru a foot of fresh dry snow on a 10% grade, and do not track in semi ruts at 80mph. Air 'em down, and they conform well for off road. Good tough sidewalls. Bridgestone Uni-t technology at Firestone prices. A good value, a dependable tire, and it wears well. The pics show it with 12K on them, I should be able to go 45K before changing. I don't like to get too bald before changing. Need the good snow traction.

Recommend

Yes​

20081025_0170.jpg
20081025_0171.jpg

Lt265/75 R16 & 255/85 R16

LT 265/75R16 M/T Green Diamond Tires & SXT 255/85 R16 SXT A/Ts

A/T SXT 255/85-R16. 1st pic: Used tires purchased from a Craig's List ad for $250. 2nd & 3rd pics are of My Green Diamond Icelander MTs. Ordered from their website and installed by Les Schwab. Please see my tire thread for details about these tires.

Performance:
SXT: Typical AT tires, quiet and well mannered for all around light duty. GDT MTs: are phenomenal on ice and packed snow. Excellent winter expedition type tires. Be cautious about taking them in the rocks. The sidewalls are highly susceptible to rock abrasions. Please see my tire thread for details on this, also.

Recommend:
SXTs: Shop around for your best deal if choosing used tires. Do not buy any tires with out looking at them 1st. If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is. If you're in to saving money, a good deal on used tires can help. M/Ts: The GDTs are good winter pavement tires, but from my experience, don't get them for double duty in the rocks, - you'll be disappointed. I have not tried them yet in serious mud conditions, but they were rated well in a road test for mud performance.

HPIM0663.jpg
P1020042-1.jpg
113_1397.jpg

Last edited:
Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction

1996 FZJ80, stock height.

Desired something tolerable on-road, acceptable on snow/ice, excellent off-road.
The mountain snowflake rating on a siped M/T tread and a reasonable price sold me on this tire.

Performance:
At 7,000 miles, noise is still acceptable and quiet for a M/T. Performs well in dirt, gravel, slickrock, and moderate sand. On paved roads it performs well in snow, rain and dry. "E" load range sidewalls in 285/75R16 at ~40 psi results in a stiff ride and responsive handling on dirt and paved roads.

Recommend:
Yes

P1000185.jpg
P1000185.jpg

Being this is now the FAQ for tires, I thought I would ask this question here.
I am currently running Yokohama AT/Ss on my Range Rover classic. They came with the Rover when I bought it. Combined with the traction control of the Rover they performed well, but I am looking for something a little more aggressive, but not a full mud tire. I live in Colorado so they need to be good in snow and ice as well.
I have been looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac for a good in-between tire(in-between MT and AT). I am going to be selling the Rover and getting a FZJ80 soon. The cruiser will be my DD as well as a casual off-roader and expedition vehicle for family trips.
Has anyone had this tire on their cruiser? I have heard good reviews from the truck world but can't find any cruiser reviews of this tire.

Thanks,

Dan

Many run tire DuraTracs on cruisers. Type in duratrac in the search bar and you will find many reviews and opinions. I think they would be a tough tire to beat in CO.

I have heard good reviews from the truck world but can't find any cruiser reviews of this tire.

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome.

Click on search button, select Advanced Search, enter duratrac and choose 80's forum. Plenty of reviews and comments in many threads. I've run them for 1 1/2 yrs on my 80, good tyre and wears very well. Now go and search...

cheers,
george.

Goodyear M/TR (1st Gen.) 315/75/R16

94 fzj80 4.5" Lift (F: 850 Heavies +1.5" MT Spacer +5mm poly - R: 863 J's)

I know these tires are discontinued/replaced w/ 2nd Gen M/TR's but small stockpiles of them can still be found here and there with production codes in the 2008's.

Decision Process:

D Load rating perfect for weight of 80 while still airing down nicely.

Love the tread design, good rock performer, nice shoulder.

Not a mud tire, not an all terrain, sort of in the middle.

Recommend: Hell Yes, if you can find them but buy extras right away if you can get them

dscn7654y.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2011-05-11

dscn7637e.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2011-05-11

stuff2r.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2011-03-05

Another BFG 285/75/16 here.

Reasons:

1) Have had 3 sets on other vehicles, always get more than the listed number of miles out of them.

2) Tread is as aggressive as I want without killing me since I'm on asphalt over 95% of the time. My DD.

3) Like the look of the tire.

4) Talking to the guys at the tire shop, going to a 305 or even 315 in the same tire wouldn't get me much more height, but would indicate regearing (not gonna do it...).

I have a OME stock lift with MAF 25mm spacers all around.

Obligatory (crappy, in this case) pic:

a240f793.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm still working my way through the newbie FAQs. So much information all at your fingertips!
Guess I should have tried the search first first!:doh:

Nankang Mudstar 285/75R16

Stock 1994 80 with coil spacers

I got a great deal on the set. Wanted something more adept at the muddy conditions where I use four wheel drive (rural/farm area).

Will update this thread on the performance of said tire.

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom