Builds Meet Uma and not the one you are thinking of (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since the time that I have owned her I have had a love hate with the speedometer. It didn't work when I got it so I tried to clean it up and repair it. That broke the spring and gear. So I ended up with a paper weight .
16837368801367194948814504671914.jpg

I couldn't find one for a 69 but found one for a 74 the back was different so now I had to get a cable for a 74. That work great I loved seeing how slow I was going. After nearly 5,000 miles the cable broke. So I was back to no speedometer. I got a replacement cable and thought I had it connected correctly only to not work. So being an Amazon junkie that I am I found a cool dial speedometer that is GPS.
IMG_20230510_093605846.jpg

I didn't read the size specs of it and found out that it is an 85mm diameter and the stock window is A LOT smaller then 85mm. So do I cut the speedometer to fit, do I cut the cluster to fit. Do I send back the GPS speedometer and stick with the classic look, do I go Dakota Digital. There is a 2 inch GPS speedometer but it is digital and I wanted the needle.
IMG_20230510_093630305.jpg

So I decided to make my own cluster. I made a template of what the new cluster would look like using the windows for the original gages ( oil, fuel, and amp) I already have a different temperature gage moved to a different location partly thanks to the previous owner. I went to a fab shop and was looking at near $300-$500 for their cuts. But I found a cluster blank from metaltech4x4.com for $50 after shipping.
IMG_20230510_093754171.jpg

Although I had to drill the mounting holes even though the description was for pre drilled mounting holes. That was one obstacle in the way figured out. Now the backing plate and the mounting plate for the gages and relocation of the high been indicator. One option was plexiglass but the mounting plate had to be steel because that was the ground for the dash lights. So decided to use the glass windows for the gages in the backing plate and I found some file shelves that were being disposed of and it was the perfect thickness of metal for the gages.
IMG_20230510_093655073.jpg

So I can make a cut out of the backing plate with room for the new speedometer. Now I just have to get the jigs saw blades and the 85mm hole saw to make my cuts. I am still trying to figure how to attach them all together and still have the dash lights illuminate the cluster.

You can carefully drill the corners of the holes for the stk gages for cleaner looking openings. Then cut the openings with the saw. You want the outer circumference of the drill to the edge of the planned opening line.

Recently I received a quart of the paint that I used to paint her as touch up paint for the spots that were too thin and was able to paint those spots and the quart almost ended up being enough to basically do a third coat of paint.

I got the GPS speedometer in and working I don't have the fuel gage working but at least I know how slow I am going now. I figured that a speedometer with the top speed of 80 would be more then adequate for Uma
IMG_20230603_065610600.jpg

As part of my father's day gift I got the last 2 u-joints this time for the front drive shaft.
IMG_20230630_142510553.jpg

The grease and mu was really caked on I tried to run it through the parts washer to get the newer muck off but had to put it in the media blaster to get all of it.
IMG_20230630_142516192.jpg

So it also got a fresh coat of paint and new grease to boot.
IMG_20230630_142504143.jpg

Ever since i put the new alternator in the previous belt that I had was a bit wide and was getting stretched out and making a horrible noise. So I bought a new one from AutoZone and fully extended I could take it off by hand. I tried the old trick of getting some rope and making a gage for how long it needed to be and went back to AutoZone and returned it for a smaller belt. I put that one on and no such luck, again too long. Luckily for me I only live a mile away from an AutoZone. So back I go again this time with the belt. we measured it and the lady at AutoZone pulled out an other belt that was significantly smaller tried that one on and it barely fit around the crank and water pump. So back again for like the 4th time this time with a different belt, surprisingly enough NOT one that i had tried earlier. Sure enough I was able to get it on all 3 pulleys not to tight not too loose but just right. At one point a kid that worked there was saying "oh I don't know if these belts will work because the teeth are different sizes. I had to inform him that on V belts because they run in a loop that they are not like timing belts that the teeth aren't for lack of a better term traction but rather to bend and run around the pulleys. So now after playing goldilocks i made sure that i wrote down the belt number on the alternator as to always have it.

It is official as of Friday Uma has become my daily driver my oldest passed her driving test.

IMG_20230908_163324957.jpg

Ever since I painted her up I hadn't had seals on the kick vents. Recently Cruiser Corps had a special on the seals so I bought the pair. I had to finagle and arm strong the vents just a bit to get the new seals in. But I got them in and glued into place.
IMG_20230911_091018790_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230911_091028560_HDR.jpg

I probably glued them on the wrong side, now that I think about it.

Twice in the last 2 days Uma has tried to kill me. I am beginning to think that she doesn't like being the center of attention as my daily driver. First some how a cotter pin came off of my center arm tie rod end. Luckily I was going straight and the wheels stayed straight. Some how she angled her self over to a curb and I was able to get out of the road. I did a quick "trail repair" limped it to AutoZone and got a new castle nut. Put it on and got home where I rebuilt the tie rod end with a new grease boot. Tightened up the castle nut and put in a new pin.
IMG_20231018_162801419.jpg

Then yesterday I was out on location recording a podcast episode and after we hit the hard pack she started to sputter and died, while in traffic. I was doing what I could to diagnose it by myself I was getting spark I was getting air. I checked the carb and it seemed dry. I was able to get in touch with an other cruiser head that lives close by and he confirmed that the mechanical fuel pump took a dump. So on the hook she went on his trailer and he towed me all the way home.

So I got the fuel pump out and cleaned up. @Cruiser Cult got me hooked up with a rebuild kit that I had no problem paying for the 2 day priority shipping
IMG_20231023_092654055.jpg
IMG_20231023_092700482.jpg

After a quick cleaning and bath to get all of the grime off I decided to see the guts of it. Luckily @Cruiser Cult also has a really good video on how to rebuild it.

So as part of my commitment to live up to my end of the agreement, she promised no to kill me and I promised to keep her alive as long as possible. I did a valve adjustment yesterday. She sounds a lot happier, healthier, and a bit more quiet. I just hope that she is able to pass emissions today after work

I don't know if I am surprised or excited or if I knew it was going to happen or what. Uma got a clean bill of health passing her emissions test on the first try. I took the advice of @DSRTRDR and did a lot of driving i.e. 45 minutes (from work to my daughter's school to the emissions facility) and she passed with flying colors.
16987082804509078462391063401277.jpg

So the other day I was on my way to work and she wasn't shifting, like at all. This is about the time that we came to the agreement to not kill me and I would keep her alive. When I did get to work I found the clutch fluid was low. And I looked down and the slave cylinder was leaking right onto the exhaust. So I topped off the fluid and ordered a new slave cylinder from Amazon. Wednesday I installed the new one. Unfortunately the new push rod was half the length of the old one.
IMG_20231103_153842152.jpg
IMG_20231103_153838408.jpg

I would have done a rebuild kit but honestly the new one was $20ish for a dorman. Yeah I know that is not a TEQ / AISIN part but dorman is a known brand and it fit perfectly.

So the other day I was on my way to work and she wasn't shifting, like at all. This is about the time that we came to the agreement to not kill me and I would keep her alive. When I did get to work I found the clutch fluid was low. And I looked down and the slave cylinder was leaking right onto the exhaust. So I topped off the fluid and ordered a new slave cylinder from Amazon. Wednesday I installed the new one. Unfortunately the new push rod was half the length of the old one. View attachment 3472507View attachment 3472508

I would have done a rebuild kit but honestly the new one was $20ish for a dorman. Yeah I know that is not a TEQ / AISIN part but dorman is a known brand and it fit perfectly.
It wasn't picture worthy but but yesterday my clutch pedal felt as though it wasn't engaging far enough if at all. So today before everything started happening I had to pull the push rod back out and adjust it a bit. Now it feels more better.

I have a cousin that does embroidery and a couple of years ago she made me this ornament and it is the best one on our tree. I am biased
IMG_20231119_154017364.jpg

When I first got her it had a hitch that the previous owner had installed. It worked pretty well and at one point I had even towed our sequoia with it. So needless to say it was strong enough. It was ⅜ steel and was gussetted and overly welded. The problem with it was that it was just the ball hitch and it took over half of the step.
Screenshot_20231122-162913.png
I didn't want it like that and wanted to be able to put my bike rack on the back of it. So I took it off and had it sitting on my toolbox at work for a while. Luckily I hadn't put it in the scrap metal. I had tried to sell it but people didn't want a home made hitch with a 2" ball, and I had contemplated buying a hitch receiver. But my ADHD got the better of me so I removed the ball hitch and cut the gusset off and the lower platform. I found a 2" receiver and cut out an opening for it and welded in the new receiver.
IMG_20231122_140112230.jpg

Yeah I know my welding could be better. But now I can run a hitch or my bike rack.

My daughter and I went off roading today her first time really off roading and I think she might be hooked
IMG_20231125_153427_704.jpg
IMG_20231125_101537659_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231125_160516_081.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom