Builds Meet Uma and not the one you are thinking of (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Treating your windshield with RainX is different than using their washer fluid. When treated, the water just beads off quickly. Not sure what the washer fluid does.

@JackA - you can now buy washer fluid with RainX mixed in with the fluid. It works pretty well. In the old days, I would apply RainX to my glass, but I don't drive my truck enough in the rain to justify that any longer.

1661000883690.png

I took her to a local Cars and Coffee this morning, and followed an other blue 40 into the parking lot.
20220820_072921.jpg

Later @mrad2181 came also. My goal has been to meet all of the local to me 40 owners.
20220820_072305.jpg

The other 40 owner gave me this sweet Australian registration plate.

For my birthday this last spring got a third brake light and i got around to installing it tonight.
20220831_200259.jpg

Although i made one tragic mistake. I tied it into the brake circuit but unfortunately that circuit and the turn signal share the same wire on my 69. I don't think that they have a separate circuit till later hen they started with the amber rear tu rtt n signals so I will have to run a new wire from the switch.
20220831_200655.jpg

So she got a bit of a spa day. She got asked to go to homecoming so she has to look her best. My daughter is part of the auto club at her high school and they have a bit of a jted night at the homecoming game where all of the trade clubs do basically a show and tell. Well the auto club hosts a student show and ask some adults to come show their cars and judge the students cars as to not make it a popularity contest. Hence why she was asked to come to homecoming.
20221020_173406.jpg

20221020_173333.jpg

Man she cleans up really nice.

The dash lights came out of the sockets and I was trying to get them back in from behind the dash with out pulling anything out. Which is always more difficult working in a tight space backwards and upside down. Anyway one of the voices in my head said to take the LED bulbs out. Which lead to breaking the LED's. So i found some more Amazon specials and was able to reinstall the lights to the dash so now I can see my speedometer that doesn't work and the other gauges at night
IMG_20221114_172203_914.jpg

I found out that at least one wheel cylinder in the rear was leaking so it was time to do something about it.
IMG_20230118_162140423.jpg
IMG_20230118_162135635.jpg

So now she sits on stands while I work on the brakes. New wheel cylinders are $59 and rebuild kits are $12 from cuiserteq.com. since I was going to do all four it was cheaper to order the rebuild kits.
IMG_20230124_074234827.jpg

The part number for my 69 BWCRK60011, don't make my mistake the first time I ordered 55 series wheel cylinder kits. I got a wheel cylinder hone and cleaned up all of the pitting and corrosion in and around the wheel cylinders. It is amazing how far WD-40, a brake hone and a wire wheel will go
IMG_20230123_080745606.jpg

I made sure that I labeled the exact location and on what wheel they were at as I pulled them off, and I only worked on one at a time. Normally I am not meticulous but I made sure I was here. Last thing I want to do is do this all over again.
IMG_20230124_074253904.jpg

The new seals hold the pistons in but I have the zip-tie just as a precautionary measure. The final cylinder had a seized piston on one end, shocker that that one barely had a seal on it as it was already split in half. I placed it vertical and soaked it in PB blaster for almost an hour and my 17mm impact socket was the right size to fit in to help dive it out.

Last edited:
I had to take the kids to school today to accommodate my wife going to some much need Dr.'s appointments. So I took the day off to get some much needed time to devote to Uma. I got new copper crush washers for the "new" wheel cylinders put the wheel cylinders. I got everything plumbed and the new shoes
IMG_20230125_114905690.jpg

A while ago for either a birthday or Christmas my mother-in-law gave me a drum caliper that I knew I would need for this day. What is nice about that tool is I can measure the drum tighten it down and turn around and adjust the shoes to fit the calliper which is fit to the drum so I don't have to constantly try to adjust the cylinders with the drum on and check for the right drag.
IMG_20230125_114918167.jpg

IMG_20230125_114931567.jpg

I tell you what for the 2-3 times I will ever have to do that it sure came in handy. I now have the drums on and I am going to rotate my tires next from the opposite corners of each other.
I think next I will do the rear drive shaft u-joints.🤔

I have been in a scramble to get other odds and ends done. The brakes are completely bled. Tires rotated rear drive shaft installed after replacing the U-joints.
IMG_20230204_111418030.jpg

My daughter helping me finish the tire rotation to earn some walking around money.
An other thing on my list to do was to get an internally regulated alternator since when I replaced the voltage regulator I must have done it wrong. Also to get it to stay more steady. In order to do that I had to get an AC Delco alternator.
IMG_20230118_091500177_HDR.jpg

The OEM alternator was a bit wider at the mounting tabs
IMG_20230118_091530297_HDR.jpg

So I had grind it down to fit also the mounting bushings had to be ground down a bit so that the bolt could go all of the way through. When I got the alternator in I found that the tensioner hit the alternator. So I made an extension to the original one and was able to get it welded and painted and working in place.
IMG_20230205_143642957_HDR.jpg

While was in there I decided to remove the exhaust header wrap. One it didn't work like I thought it would in lowering the ambient exhaust temperatures, two the color faded from black to white and started shattering, and third and most of all I was tired of getting fiberglass all over my arms every time I even looked at the header.

Sometimes it is the small victories. This was one of those for me today. When I was doing the wiring harness I got the ID10T code with my reverse light in the sense that when I would go into reverse nothing would happen but when I pulled the dome light the reverse light would come on. Well it was one of those things that I just lived with and would try to get a pull through parking space wherever possible. When I had my cluster out because of a broken speedometer cable that I had to replace I decided to get the reverse light working again. I was trying to chase the wires and get the correct wire but I realized that all I had to do was get power to the switch and continuity to the reverse light. Purists just avert your eyes and plug your ears. So I ran a new wire to the reverse light and I had a wire from the "new" harness that was going to the external voltage regulator that I wasn't using and plugged them into the reverse switch.
IMG_20230216_153257516_HDR.jpg

As with the rest of my lights I did an LED bulb swap with this one too. It doesn't seem that bright during the day but at night should be more then enough. The speedometer cable is also replaced and installed and the cluster is back in. This weekend is a long weekend for me and the wife and kids have to go to school and work on Monday even though it is a holiday. Here in SoAz we don't get snow days but there is a rodeo that comes to town so they get that time off instead. So I am going to take that time to redo again the oil pan with a gasket from CCOT.

I fixed the oil pan gasket with a one piece gasket and while I was at it I was going to fix the oil filter inlet. I tried to fix it with rtv but didn't get the bolts in tight before the rtv cured so when I started it up I lost about 2 quarts of oil. Luckily I got a case of oil from Napa for really cheap like $20 for 12 something like that. So I got some gasket material and peen'ed it out so I can get exactly the shape that I needed, cleaned out the threads and put studs in with blue thread locker and was able to get it on better with out screwing up the gasket.
IMG_20230313_174437066_HDR.jpg

I was able to get her running again and not leaking oil

I went out to a cars and coffee show and shine over the weekend and met a 4runner owner who had a really nice camera and he did an impromptu unofficial photoshoot. I think that the pictures are absolutely amazing

IMG_20230327_080924_094.jpg

IMG_20230327_080926_575.jpg

IMG_20230327_080928_422.jpg

IMG_20230327_080931_240.jpg

I have been in a scramble to get other odds and ends done. The brakes are completely bled. Tires rotated rear drive shaft installed after replacing the U-joints. View attachment 3240791
My daughter helping me finish the tire rotation to earn some walking around money.
An other thing on my list to do was to get an internally regulated alternator since when I replaced the voltage regulator I must have done it wrong. Also to get it to stay more steady. In order to do that I had to get an AC Delco alternator.View attachment 3240793
The OEM alternator was a bit wider at the mounting tabsView attachment 3240794
So I had grind it down to fit also the mounting bushings had to be ground down a bit so that the bolt could go all of the way through. When I got the alternator in I found that the tensioner hit the alternator. So I made an extension to the original one and was able to get it welded and painted and working in place.View attachment 3240795
While was in there I decided to remove the exhaust header wrap. One it didn't work like I thought it would in lowering the ambient exhaust temperatures, two the color faded from black to white and started shattering, and third and most of all I was tired of getting fiberglass all over my arms every time I even looked at the header.
An Other thing that I found out this weekend is that one wire alternators and internally regulated alternators are not the same. So yeah that fact that I could run on an internally regulated alternator that didn't automatically mean that the alternator is charging now I have to really find out how to do a single wire.

Look on mad electrical 's website. They have good articles and tutorials on the subject.

now I have to really find out how to do a single wire.

I ran a 1-wire alt. (GM style from NAPA) on my FJ45. the truck was rewired from end-to-end so I had no voltage regulator or factory wiring to mess with.

I ran the 1-wire alternator output to the factory dash ammeter gauge, and then ran the other end of the gauge back to the new wiring harness. So, the starter circuit would not affect it during cranking, and the dash ammeter read (correctly) what the vehicle was using as far as current. It's was super-simple to set it up this way.

So I am still having issues with my alternator. I found an actual alternator shop that can convert my Delco alternator to a true one wire self excited alternator. But the belt is curved and the alternator sits a bit to far back.
IMG_20230403_175317483.jpg

That happens because the mounting bracket sits a bit too far back
IMG_20230403_175046001.jpg

I am thinking about cutting a ¼ inch off of the back and adding a ¼ inch spacer/
IMG_20230403_175035589.jpg

Yes I know that the alternator bracket will have to be before to help it ride more evenly.

You had to grind that alternator to make it fit when you first got it, right? That is worrisome because if you get stranded and need to swap in a new one, that same pet number won’t fit. Maybe that alternator isn’t correct for this application.

Same goes for paying to convert the alternator to one wire. If it fails, can you get an off the shelf replacement or will it have to be modified again.

If your must deviate from OEM, make it so future repairs are simple and done with widely available parts.

Good luck bro!

You had to grind that alternator to make it fit when you first got it, right? That is worrisome because if you get stranded and need to swap in a new one, that same pet number won’t fit. Maybe that alternator isn’t correct for this application.

Same goes for paying to convert the alternator to one wire. If it fails, can you get an off the shelf replacement or will it have to be modified again.

If your must deviate from OEM, make it so future repairs are simple and done with widely available parts.

Good luck bro!
I just got to get it home and if i have to call the wife to come get me with the tow bar then that is what is going to have to happen. Needles to say I am trying to figure it all out as I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom