For Sale (MD) Rebuilt Stock FJ40 Power Steering Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
SOLD! SOLD! SOLD!

Stock FJ40 power steering assembly for sale: $1000 shipped. New Price: $900 Shipped.

Freshly rebuilt stock FJ40 power steering box, rag joint, heat shield, frame mounted cooler line with all the clips, high pressure hose (original and an aftermarket replacement), low pressure line fitting, pitman arm, drag link with good pitman arm hardware and TRE, rebuilt center arm box (arm reamed for 80 series TRE) and DOM relay rod (threaded for 80 series TRE at center arm box and Chevy 1ton at the steering arm) and 2F power steering pump mount. The steering box was rebuilt with the Toyota seal kit. It and the pitman arm are rust free, primed and painted. The PS pump mount is dirty but otherwise in good shape. If you want the pedestal I will throw that in for free.

IMG_20140209_204926_321.jpg

IMG_20140209_204951_261.jpg

IMG_20140209_205026_263.jpg

IMG_20140209_205215_798.jpg

IMG_20140209_205045_142.jpg

Last edited:
This is an ORIGINAL FJ40 power steering box, not a minitruck box. It comes with the original PS box heat shield, pitman arm, high pressure hoses, rag joint, steering pump engine mount and ORIGINAL PS cooler line.

Very fair indeed. I sold the last USED setup like that for almost that much. And that was quite a few years ago. GLWS.

Considering that a dirty used PS box of unknown condition and no rag joint from a '79 just sold on e-bay for $770, I think I've priced these parts fairly. The PS rebuild kit from Toyota is over $100. The stock cooling hose is fairly rare and over $150. Finding a stock power steering heat shield in good condition is not easy either. I also rebuilt the center arm a few years ago and it is very tight.

I know it's not a bargain price, but it isn't insignificant to rebuild a power steering box and the parts that come with it are all in top shape. This would be perfect for someone doing a high quality restoration who wants all Toyota factory original parts.

Last edited:
I think its a good price after casually looking around mud and vendor sites and would have already messaged you about it if i didnt already have enough projects going the next few months making me watch the project money( I still might wake up in the middle of the night and figure i can't live without this, the fj40 original steering are hard to find in any shape).
If its still here in a few months when I get to steering on my 40 project punch list I would pay that price for it.

Since power steering isnt high on my list at the moment i havent researched how it would work it at all just prices of what people are selling on here for ps but what would someone like me need to get this working on a 78 that currently has no ps steering, looks pretty complete to me, most of the stuff i see needs a rebuild and is missing major parts. Good luck with sale

Last edited:
Bump for a new price: $900 shipped for all of it.

I fit this on my stock, non power steering 1981 FJ40 without the shorter stub shaft or modifying the existing stub shaft at all.

For later model FJ40's the existing stub shaft can be modified, if you are inclined to do so, by pulling it out of the column, shortening it from the column end 185 mm (7.3"), redrilling the cross post hole and reinserting it in the new hole. Pretty straight forward and still a lot less fabrication than Saginaw or 60 series swaps.

It will wheel 35" tires just fine (with a 14" steering wheel no less). In fact, I wheeled this setup SUA and SOA for 10 years before moving up to 37's and changing my steering to 60 series as a result.

Last edited:
Dang it, Stump. I'm trying to resist buying this and you go and lower what was already an awesome price. I have sag now, but I don't like it - steering feels too light / overpowered. How does the stock box compare to a sag in that respect?

I cannot compare it to sag, since I've never driven a 40 with a sag box.
This set up felt good, not too loose nor under powered. If you've ever driven a 80,s/90's Ford Mustang (silly loose and disconnected for a sports car), this steering is tighter than that, but not as responsive as a Japanese sports car. I attribute it to the number of linkage connections over the 60 box set up.
If I was confident thine OEM box would handle 37's off road, I would have kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom