Mark Levinson AMP Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How can you tell if it's the AMP or the speaker itself? For example, my passenger side main speaker (the largest one near the floor) is crackling randomly (potentially when there is heavy bass).

Thank you!

Older thread, but wanted to see if anyone had a solution to this issue that doesn't require me to shell out $475 for repairing an AMP/Technology that is now 18+ years old?

Is there no way to easily swap in a JL Audio or similar amp for less $ ?

As far as I’m aware............ nope
Older thread, but wanted to see if anyone had a solution to this issue that doesn't require me to shell out $475 for repairing an AMP/Technology that is now 18+ years old?

Is there no way to easily swap in a JL Audio or similar amp for less $ ?

Or you can buy a Bluetooth speaker for 150...... that’s what I did and it works until I feel like shelling out money for amp repair

hey guys, Ive been having the popping issue for weeks now.... last week it stopped but when i tried playing the radio no noise whatsoever.
yesterday the screen and buttons stopped working (no A/C) anyone know if these two issues are related?

2002 lexus Lx470

thanks

hi, how did you go about wiring this up?

I think the poster who suggested using a bluetooth speaker just meant that he connected his phone to the BT speaker and just used that as an alternative to fixing the Levinson system.

Just picked up our new-to-us '05 LX470 yesterday. CD player didn't work during test drive last week, but it was loaded w/ CD-Rs from the PO, and there's a sticker on the changer saying that CD-Rs won't work, so I figured that was the problem since everything else worked (except the flopping blown sub, but I can fix that). No such luck...commercial CDs and DVDs don't work either; just says DVD error on display. I'm lucky...United Radio is only about 10 miles from my house, and they did a great job on the factory head unit of my '93 325i a few years ago. However, I can't find any info on how to remove the disc changer from the center console.

Anyone?...thanks.

You have to take the center console out. Look for the link to the 2004 fsm. Same for all years past 2003 as far as that part of the interior section goes.

I've had the crackling and popping several times over the last several years in my 2004 LX, but the issue usually rights itself each time after a couple of days. This time around, it has deteriorated to the point that I'm consistently getting a split second of sound out of the speakers upon startup and then the cut-out. Bluetooth calls work fine, but no sound comes out of the stereo speakers. Is United Radio still my best option? Is it possible that I may have a fuse issue and, if so, how can I test for that?

Since this thread has been revived, thought I would post a follow-up for anyone who may be experiencing the issues described by the OP and myself. After almost a year of using a portable bluetooth speaker, I finally removed the amp and sent to United Radio. They called the day they received it with a prognosis and repair estimate - they've seen a lot of these ML amps manufactured around 2003-2004. $475 and 3 days later, I had it back and reinstalled. Everything works great again and I wish I would have done it from the outset. I would recommend unbolting the passenger seat to remove the amp. I didn't actually remove the seat because I didn't want to undo all the electrical connections - I just unbolted it and tilted it back onto the rear passenger seat while removing the amp. I also didn't need to unbolt or remove the Nav dvd driver to remove or reinstall the amp.

Glad you got it squared away. I've contacted United about my changer and will getting around to figuring out how to remove it in the next couple days. For today, the project was to get the amp installed properly; just got the car yesterday and the dealer just left it on the floor behind the seat 'cause he couldn't figure it out. Since I couldn't find any pics anywhere, I snapped a couple once I figured it out and have attached them in case they're useful to anyone else. Fletch.. you're amazing if you got that amp out and back in w/out removing the nav dvd player.. kudos. I took the whole seat out and the nav box... there's no way I could have figured it out blind w/out seeing how it was originally installed. Maybe these pics will save someone a little time and grief!

I just opened up the carpet a little more with a box cutter to maneuver the amp in and out. But I had the benefit of seeing how it was originally installed and how the bolt holes in the brackets are supposed to line up. A new install would have been a different story!

Hi guys, I have a 2004 gx470 with the pop and then no sound from the radio. I am so thankful that I'm not the only one in the universe with this particular problem. Thanks so much for the info and the pics!! Forums are great for this sort of thing. I'm not sure I want to spend $450 on this old thing, but it's great to know where to go with it. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Hi guys, I have a 2004 gx470 with the pop and then no sound from the radio. I am so thankful that I'm not the only one in the universe with this particular problem. Thanks so much for the info and the pics!! Forums are great for this sort of thing. I'm not sure I want to spend $450 on this old thing, but it's great to know where to go with it. Thanks again!!!!!!!
I found out that my amp went bad from water damage (leaking sunroof) sent it out to United radio and finished in no time !

Just wanted to post my experience and add to the thread. I had the popping of the radio and intermittent sound, but Bluetooth still worked. Like others, I removed the passenger seat which made everything very easy. I removed the amp and opened it myself (which requires a Torx10?). I didn't see anything internals that looked bad, but I'm no electrician. I sent it to United Radio. You have to print out a repair form on their website. They called on same day they received it and said it was repaired. Cost $475 which included shipping back to me. I wish we knew what the defect is. I doubt the cost is anywhere close to what they charge, but of course, we are paying for their expertise. Either way, it works great for now and hopefully at least another 10 years.

Just wanted to post my experience and add to the thread. I had the popping of the radio and intermittent sound, but Bluetooth still worked. Like others, I removed the passenger seat which made everything very easy. I removed the amp and opened it myself (which requires a Torx10?). I didn't see anything internals that looked bad, but I'm no electrician. I sent it to United Radio. You have to print out a repair form on their website. They called on same day they received it and said it was repaired. Cost $475 which included shipping back to me. I wish we knew what the defect is. I doubt the cost is anywhere close to what they charge, but of course, we are paying for their expertise. Either way, it works great for now and hopefully at least another 10 years.
What did you use for Bluetooth?

As far as I’m aware............ nope

does anyone know ... why not? Why isn't there an aftermarket replacement option?

I was quoted $675 from United. part #86280-0WA40
Retrieved below from partsouq.com
862800WA40AMPLIFIER ASSY, STEREO COMPONENT86280URJ201 AUDIO(FOR OVERSEAS MARKET)-EMV + DVD + AM/FM + *MAR 19SPEAKER101.2012 - 09.2015

does anyone know ... why not? Why isn't there an aftermarket replacement option?

I was quoted $675 from United. part #86280-0WA40
Retrieved below from partsouq.com
862800WA40AMPLIFIER ASSY, STEREO COMPONENT86280URJ201 AUDIO(FOR OVERSEAS MARKET)-EMV + DVD + AM/FM + *MAR 19SPEAKER101.2012 - 09.2015
If you need a replacement amp, I have one for sale.

I had a similar ML Amp problem with my GX. The radio went on and off intermittently. I contacted FactoryRadio in Socal, and took my ML amp there for repair. John from Factory Radio told me that the solder connections were separate. He said that he de-soldered the main chip and replace it (?). He charged $400 (I took it there, and therefore no shipping). He is a one man shop, and he seems to know what he is doing. It has been a week, and my Amp is working fine now. No relationship with this shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom