Mark Levinson speakers replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Suggestion request: I have a Lexus GX470 Mark Levinson system. From what I understand, the speakers are a low hanging fruit weak spot, and are readily upgradable. What would you replace them with for max driver EQ experience? Let's assume a sizable budget. I haven't found anything technical on load balancing - could one go with 8ohm sub & woofer while going 4ohm for mid/tweets without risking the amplifier. The idea is adaptable speakers without rewiring.

Suggestion request: I have a Lexus GX470 Mark Levinson system. From what I understand, the speakers are a low hanging fruit weak spot, and are readily upgradable. What would you replace them with for max driver EQ experience? Let's assume a sizable budget. I haven't found anything technical on load balancing - could one go with 8ohm sub & woofer while going 4ohm for mid/tweets without risking the amplifier. The idea is adaptable speakers without rewiring.
The go to speakers that most use for the front doors are the ds18 DS18 PRO-X698 BM Loudspeaker - 6x9, Midrange, Red Aluminum Bullet, 550W Max, 275W RMS, 8 Ohms - Premium Quality Audio Door Speakers for Car,Truck and Motorcycle Stereo Sound System (1 Speaker) https://a.co/d/3t5nUqJ

The sub moat go to is the skar 6.5, needs a bit of grinding around the edges and some slight mod inside the bottom of the box to fit. Just did mine today.
Skar Audio EVL-65 D4 6.5" 400 Watt Max Power Dual 4 Ohm Car Subwoofer https://a.co/d/djg1ycw

Skar also makes a 6.5 8 ohm for back doors.

Beyond that I have no inout for the rear hatch speakers which I apparently need to attend to as I can hear the damage to them as I eliminate bad speaker after bad speaker. My skar 6x9’s should arrive in another day or 2. You will also need a 6x9 adapter for these.

I have some more resources on my home pc I can add later. I believe there is a write up or 2 in these forums somewhere

Last edited:
@Balrog, your question about 8ohm sub & woofer with 4 ohm mids/tweet is a little complicated to answer. If you are simply going to replace speakers in the existing ML system w/Nav (that have 8ohm speakers throughout) I recommend you do not mix 8ohm and 4 ohm speakers as replacements, if you do not want to risk the amp.

I assume you are talking about using the existing ML amp in a ML system w/Nav. If this assumption is correct, I would suggest you replace the speakers with equivalent 8 ohm speakers and the speakers Red470 wrote are a decent way to go. If you are thinking about replacing the amp, the head unit and the speakers, then that's a completely different discussion.

I'm replacing my entire ML audio system w/Nav in my 2007 GX470 now. The ML w/Nav Head unit, CD player, Nav box, amp and all the speakers are in very good condition as this car was very well taken care of by previous owner, but I wanted something more modern than the original ML w/Nav system. After months of off and on work (I travel a lot so I don't have more than a few hours a day to work on this) to sort out the Teyes CC3 (long story, but decent HW, SW has some glitches, but Teyes Customer Support is not good), I am now at a point of replacing the speakers and amp. The speakers are in, all 4 ohm, 6"x9" lower front, 3.5" mid range and 1" tweeters in front doors, 6.5" two way in the rear doors, and 6.5" woofer in the back. I've removed the dash speaker and the two rear tail gate speakers. I'm now in the process of installing a 6 channel amp to power the speakers in the front and rear doors and a dedicate mono amp for the sub.

Based on what you decided to do with your speakers and or entire system, PM me if you want more info.

Thanks
G

@Balrog, your question about 8ohm sub & woofer with 4 ohm mids/tweet is a little complicated to answer. If you are simply going to replace speakers in the existing ML system w/Nav (that have 8ohm speakers throughout) I recommend you do not mix 8ohm and 4 ohm speakers as replacements, if you do not want to risk the amp.

I assume you are talking about using the existing ML amp in a ML system w/Nav. If this assumption is correct, I would suggest you replace the speakers with equivalent 8 ohm speakers and the speakers Red470 wrote are a decent way to go. If you are thinking about replacing the amp, the head unit and the speakers, then that's a completely different discussion.

I'm replacing my entire ML audio system w/Nav in my 2007 GX470 now. The ML w/Nav Head unit, CD player, Nav box, amp and all the speakers are in very good condition as this car was very well taken care of by previous owner, but I wanted something more modern than the original ML w/Nav system. After months of off and on work (I travel a lot so I don't have more than a few hours a day to work on this) to sort out the Teyes CC3 (long story, but decent HW, SW has some glitches, but Teyes Customer Support is not good), I am now at a point of replacing the speakers and amp. The speakers are in, all 4 ohm, 6"x9" lower front, 3.5" mid range and 1" tweeters in front doors, 6.5" two way in the rear doors, and 6.5" woofer in the back. I've removed the dash speaker and the two rear tail gate speakers. I'm now in the process of installing a 6 channel amp to power the speakers in the front and rear doors and a dedicate mono amp for the sub.

Based on what you decided to do with your speakers and or entire system, PM me if you want more info.

Thanks
G
I also will be going that route after I finish converting AC and I am waiting a stick mark levinson non nav radio just to play and see what it sounds like.
I have successfully put in the ds18 6x9’s left mid and tweeter as they are still good, did the skar sub conversion, replaced the rear hatch tweeters as they where blown with these
Dayton Audio DMA70-8 2-1/2" Dual Magnet Aluminum Cone Full-Range Driver 8 Ohm
https://a.co/d/6qpGgFG
And the rear doors are still stock at the moment not blown and working.
So far the only downside is that the 6x9’s outperform the sub by leaps and bounds. I have to turn down the fronts by at least 50% in the settings and sometimes more to get a balanced sound. I’m wondering if the 6.5 woofer might be a better sound for me in the front than the 6x9’s. I like my bass from the rear not from the front. Probably won’t get around to that by the time I change system out but who knows.

Eq is set in the levinson amp. Any newer technology driver is going to better deliver performance against factory eq setting than them old crusty paper woofers

The Mark levinson amp is old. Don’t use drivers rated at a higher impedance. It sounds like you confirmed gx speakers are 8ohm so yeah, use 8ohm…not 4ohm

Also. The mark levinson amp is old. Look at the visatons or other 8 ohm offerings on parts express by size and pick speakers that have lowest rms requirement and highest sensitivity

Money is less of an issue example. Crazy good sensitivity.

Budget example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom