Map Light Sheilds for Night Driving (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SmokingRocks

hopelessly addicted to Cruisers
Threads
A while back I sketched up and 3D printed some map light shields for the 80's series front map light. I was initially inspired by my long gone 740 iL that had two concealed amber LED's which shed light from sunroof switch area down onto the center console and surrounding areas.

What I liked about the german's approach was you never could tell where the light was originating from if you were just sitting in the normal driving position. Over the years I purchased a red LED map light bulb from super bright LED's (this one to be exact: BA9s LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - BA9s Bulb - Red). Once I got that put in I wanted to sheild the source of light from the driver and passengers resting eye position. So I designed the orignal piece, it had a radius in it.

Map-Light-Shade-1_zps3fmuenym.jpg

first prototype installed
IMG_20160409_192747388_zpsztu3pdh3.jpg

Well over the years I didn't like the radius cause I could see the source of the light so I changed the design and came up with this:
IMG_4399.JPEG
IMG_4401.JPEG

With a little gentle sanding, high build primer and paint these things turn out pretty good. And they cover the source of light from the driver while providing just enough low level red light to be highly usefull at night.

Anyway, I already hooked up my friends who have 80s and I wanted to offer up the remaining extras up to the mud community. I have SOLD ALL OF THEM! Enjoy everyone! There are several remaining from my last set available.
  • (2) Freshly printed shields with the TOYOTA badge printed on them in the toyota font
  • (1) Never installed shield with the TOYOTA badge printed on it in the toyota font that I started sanding (Light sanding is needed to smoothen out the layers created from the 3d printer)
  • (1) 1st gen model which I cut the radius off so it's like the others, is primed and painted and was installed on my rig for 3-4 years but still in great conditions.
I tried taking photos of what it provides at night but it's not possible without dusting off my dslr, so you'll just have to take my word for it. You won't be disappointed, I run with my red LED map light on any time its dark outside.

Last edited:
Great idea. One of the reasons I'm diving in to 3D printing; to make cool and useful things like this! Also, wanted to do something similar with a low lumen map light... this adds that little bit extra. I'm in for one.

A great idea! Would you consider disseminating the source file, so that mudders out of reach can also reproduce it?

Cheers,

This is a great idea! ive had the regular halogen bulb with a red plastic filter inside the clear lens, but its not very bright...

do you think that shield would hold on with double sided sticky tape? i just am hesitant of sending screws through that plastic.

@SmokingRocks , what is that orange thing above your map light?

I would love a cover that goes over the top of the ScanGauge II to cover it while on the steering column.

Rented a Mustang a few years back that had a very small blue LED lamp in the ceiling console that came on automatically with the headlights. It emitted just enough light to see where things were inside the vehicle and maybe read a map but did not affect your night vision. FWIW.

That's really slick.

I have 2 BMW's with the same amber/orange lights and I've considered trying to mimic them in the 80 - so they're on even when the map light is off. I've thought though about using red because the eyes don't have to adjust to the longer wavelengths (not unlike Navy ships)...

Nice job!

Rented a Mustang a few years back that had a very small blue LED lamp in the ceiling console that came on automatically with the headlights. It emitted just enough light to see where things were inside the vehicle and maybe read a map but did not affect your night vision. FWIW.
I've had many eye surgeries (torn / detached retinas and cataract lens replacements) and I cannot deal with interior lights of any sort when I drive at night.

I turn down the dash lights as much as I can and still see the speedo, and I'll hang a towel over the radio and other accessories that have indicator lights that don't dim with the dash lights.

Blue lights are the worst to me. Red and green are "ok".

If there is a building sign with blue neon on it, I can rarely read it at night due to the severe glare I get from it.

That's really slick.

I have 2 BMW's with the same amber/orange lights and I've considered trying to mimic them in the 80 - so they're on even when the map light is off. I've thought though about using red because the eyes don't have to adjust to the longer wavelengths (not unlike Navy ships)...

Nice job!
There's still some left!

I've had many eye surgeries (torn / detached retinas and cataract lens replacements) and I cannot deal with interior lights of any sort when I drive at night.

I turn down the dash lights as much as I can and still see the speedo, and I'll hang a towel over the radio and other accessories that have indicator lights that don't dim with the dash lights.

Blue lights are the worst to me. Red and green are "ok".

If there is a building sign with blue neon on it, I can rarely read it at night due to the severe glare I get from it.
I'm the same way but without the surgeries. This shield with the ultra-low lumen output of the superbrite LED is so perfect. When I say the superbrite LED in red is low lumens they are, their white and warm led replacement map bulbs are almost 100lm while the red comes in at 15lm in a perfect for night 631nm red.

Could these shields be made without the holes (for screws) and instead attach the shade to the console using low strength (removable) double sided tape? I'm guessing some people may not want to put holes in their overhead console. FWIW.

If there was a demand for them then sure, you can put these on with low profile double sided tape in their current configuration.

You will probably just need to put a length of electrical tape on the inside of the shade to cover the gap that the thickness of the tape makes.

Thanks @McDowra & @PolarRunner Post up your photos once you've got them installed, I'm curious to see how they turn out.

I have red map/cabin lights. They can be left on while driving without bothering your vision.
Useful!
I copied my Audi that has red led's in the overhead console. Always thought it was really clever.

I placed them on my rr view mirror so the spread is good and the oem map light is left as a white light.

@SmokingRocks if you ever make a hood that would fit on the backside of the rr mirror, I would buy it.
It could just clip onto the mirror. Right now, mine works but wires are exposed back there.

1616687321735.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom