Map Light Sheilds for Night Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have red map/cabin lights. They can be left on while driving without bothering your vision.
Useful!
I copied my Audi that has red led's in the overhead console. Always thought it was really clever.

I placed them on my rr view mirror so the spread is good and the oem map light is left as a white light.

@SmokingRocks if you ever make a hood that would fit on the backside of the rr mirror, I would buy it.
It could just clip onto the mirror. Right now, mine works but wires are exposed back there.

View attachment 2625871

Can you post some more pics of your setup? Early on I was considering the option of putting the cabin ambient lights behind the mirror. I'm curious to see how you set it up.

Can you post some more pics of your setup? Early on I was considering the option of putting the cabin ambient lights behind the mirror. I'm curious to see how you set it up.
Here is a post with it- i have the red led's on the floor (often people drop things at night, or looking for things while you're driving)
scroll down the post
I'll get pictures of the mirror led's this weekend - nothing fancy, so a cover would just clean it up

UPDATE:

I've got 6 more shields coming off the printer this week, 3 will have screw mounting holes and 3 will not have holes for double-sided tape application (one of these is already pre-sold). I'll let everyone know when the rest are availible.

I just added the bulb to my 80 map light in RED. It’s going to be great. Looking forward to seeing how the shield improves the light!

*** MORE LIGHT SHADES ARE COMING ***

I will have 6 more shades coming in

• (3) with holes, TOYOTA printed on the face
  • (3) without holes, TOYOTA printed on the face
    • (1) of these is already sold with custom text in lieu of the TOYOTA for @bonestock
If you want one of these let me know, if you get in early enough I can have any text printed on the front face. For an additional fee, I could probably print basic images on the face if you send me the solid works file (text is a safer bet though).

These are roughly $35 each depending on shipping, and this may be the last run for a long long time. I can add more to this batch if there is more demand, so please drop a reply if you are interested. @Kernal

@McDowra & @PolarRunner curious to see how yours have turned out!

Last edited:
These are back in stock. I had to have another one of my friends print these and he only had purple filament so I can either ship them for $30+ shipping or if you want me to sand, prime & paint them black before shipping it will be $50 each +shipping.

I'll post up some photos when I get home, one is already spoken for so there are 5 left.

@SmokingRocks has a great solution. The stock position of the map light can be blinding.

My solution used a Hella maplight that pulled power from the stock maplight fixture. 5 years in and it still works great.

20160117_222934011_iOS.jpg

New stock is in. As previously stated I had another one of my friends print these and he only had purple filament so I can either ship them for $30 or if you want me to sand, prime & paint them black before shipping it will be $50.

The TOYOTA text came out a little rough so I might test sand & paint one to see how it turns out, if it looks like dog s***e then I'll sand the text flat.

IMG_4947.jpeg

Update: All of the blank ones have sold, I still have ones with TOYOTA Printed on them, if you don't like that all it takes is some sanding, and voila!

If you are hesitant about screwing holes into your plastics I get that, there are two options;
1) Go to the classifieds section here and post a WTB thread for a second map light trim piece so you can screw into that one and keep your factory one in a box (they sell for about $10-$20 HERES an example)
2) Use double-sided tape, I know that @bonestock went this route.

Still, $35 plus shipping let me know! Shielding the light source is a major upgrade that you didn't know you needed until you experience it for yourself!

Took a minute to get the tape cut correctly but I’m super super happy with the results.

Edit: I ended up using a flat file to get the TOYOTA sanded smooth then painted with a few coats of that special plastic Krylon black spray paint. I'll post up some pics next time I'm with my truck.

Have had mine a while and it is a great! I highly recommend you get one will try and post a picture later if I can get by garage where cruiser is stored.

Really cool idea!

I've had mine now for a while. Painted it with Krylon fusion. The install would have been better if I had smaller screws laying around (too lazy to go buy some).
The LED bulb I have is stupid bright. This keeps the light focused down very well. I installed my friends with VHB tape. His looks factory.

IMG_3404.JPG

you'd have to color match it, but I could probably try one with the Lexus logo for about $50 + shipping. Just would need to find a good Lexus logo file and get it in the program

Finally getting around to posting pictures. Hardest part was finding small screws. I ended up using small hinge screws from a hinge kit I had lying around for a display box I was building. I haven't driven the cruiser in a while as I've been putting off fixing the busted brake line and leaking exhaust so I don't have night time driving experience yet. Having said that, even during the day there's no glare from the LED board. I'd like to run a red LED or add one in conjunction with the white on a sep switch.

OK what am I missing with photos? I haven't posted much of anything since the forum change up.

You guys may be interested in dual color map lights. The red switches on first then you can toggle the switch for white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom