Magnaflo Overland (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know your question is directed toward mudwagon, but here's a common sense answer: generally your exhaust flow is only as much as your intake. You can't flow more exhaust if you don't open up intake. So yeah, if you want to increase your exhaust flow, you'll need to increase your intake too.
FYI, the GX460 intake has such a high flow from the factory that you don't need to do anything to it. The exhaust (manifold + headers) are the bottleneck. Maybe a higher flow drop in filter like the AEM dry filter may reduce a tiny bit of air intake restriction at the cost of more particulates getting through (if any).

Reactions: r2m
I don't have any science behind it, but my snorkel seems to add a wee bit of mph and hp.
People often ask me if I go underwater with it, to which I chuckle and say the GX can't do much more than just a couple feet deep.
But what it is good for is getting cooler air and a ram effect. It also helps when on a dusty trail, not sucking up everyone's dust when following.
And I think it looks snappy! 😜

I don't have any science behind it, but my snorkel seems to add a wee bit of mph and hp.
People often ask me if I go underwater with it, to which I chuckle and say the GX can't do much more than just a couple feet deep.
But what it is good for is getting cooler air and a ram effect. It also helps when on a dusty trail, not sucking up everyone's dust when following.
And I think it looks snappy! 😜
I want a snorkel. LOL

No snorkel on the GX… yet, but I have one on the Tacoma. Air filter is definitely dirtier than before.

No snorkel on the GX… yet, but I have one on the Tacoma. Air filter is definitely dirtier than before.
Washable filters for the win. :)

Washable filters for the win. :)
I hated the K&N filter I had in a previous rig. It didn't help with anything and seemed to get dirty quicker due to the oil you have to put on it. I'll stick with the disposables.

I bought a 2010 GX with the Maganflow overland catback and tbh after 4 months I was happy to get rid of it. it wasn't an old setup as the previous owner had installed it within the last year. I've had lots of sports cars with varying exhaust setups, and unfortunately have grown sensitive to drone and the GX especially on hilly roads with the magnoflow drones. I found a local GX guy and gave it to him free for the cost of his oem setup and him paying the labor for both trucks. 3 months later I'm much happier with the quiet interior.

As suspected, I think pretty much any aftermarket exhaust on a GX will drone. Even my old stock exhaust developed a bit of a 1,500 rpm drone. It's a combination of the short wheelbase, overall length of the vehicle, and where the exhaust dumps (under the passenger compartment). The interior provides a lot of room for reverberation, without the benefit of the empty space provided by a truck bed.

The solution to any of this is to add either a quarter-wave of helmholtz resonator. On my 470 I am getting a very distinct drone at 141-144 Hz that is a good 10 dB louder than the other background noises. It disappears below 1500 rpm and above 2500 rpm. Being that it's at a very specific frequency, it should be able to easily removed with a quarter-wave resonator that I'll be adding soon. This requires cutting and welding on to your brand new exhaust and voiding the warranty. I do not know why Magnaflow, aFe, Borla, and others don't include these resonators as they are simple pipes/cans attached to the exhaust.

After twice pinching off the exhaust on the rear axle crawling in rock gardens, I just removed the resonator section and had a down spout added to the muffler.
It's been a couple weeks now, and so far I haven't had any droning or anything else. Just as quiet as before.
But then I am a little bit older and my hearing isn't as good as it used to be.

I think it's more due to the internals of the giant OEM Lexus muffler than the relatively small bullet-style OEM resonator on the tailpipe. The OEM muffler has lots of tubes/chambers designed to let the drone frequencies cancel themselves out, while an aftermarket muffler is straight-through without the dedicated closed chambers to kill drone. In looking at the insides of the OEM muffler, I can see why the Borla gave such a nice power gain, things look pretty darn restrictive.

I bought a 2010 GX with the Maganflow overland catback and tbh after 4 months I was happy to get rid of it. it wasn't an old setup as the previous owner had installed it within the last year. I've had lots of sports cars with varying exhaust setups, and unfortunately have grown sensitive to drone and the GX especially on hilly roads with the magnoflow drones. I found a local GX guy and gave it to him free for the cost of his oem setup and him paying the labor for both trucks. 3 months later I'm much happier with the quiet interior.
You obviously need louder tires :)

I hated the K&N filter I had in a previous rig. It didn't help with anything and seemed to get dirty quicker due to the oil you have to put on it. I'll stick with the disposables.
I hate K&N. I use AEM dry filters that are rewashable.

I spent 100 bucks and had the resonator cut off and a pipe down turn welded on. Slightly louder WOT but quite of the highway and after 14 hours behind the wheel that's what you want.
I haven't felt like there's been any increase in engine noise after the resonator delete. :hmm:

I spent 100 bucks and had the resonator cut off and a pipe down turn welded on. Slightly louder WOT but quite of the highway and after 14 hours behind the wheel that's what you want.

I haven't felt like there's been any increase in engine noise after the resonator delete. :hmm:

Drone is the enemy and my bane. Anything done to the factory exhaust will increase drone unless you sound deaden the s*** outta the cabin. LOL. I'm going to take my magnaflow muffler off and put the OEM factory muffler I kept back on.

Drone is the enemy and my bane. Anything done to the factory exhaust will increase drone unless you sound deaden the s*** outta the cabin. LOL. I'm going to take my magnaflow muffler off and put the OEM factory muffler I kept back on.
Well I do have a boatload of sound deadener and 2" Thinsulate in all the rear panel/door cavities.

What are you doing with the magnaflow system?

What are you doing with the magnaflow system?
It isn't the whole system, just a muffler. I'll probably sell it locally. It's pretty big and I don't want to ship it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom