Maaco paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the "Wagon" nomenclature for? I have a 91 JDM VX Limited, but it doesn't have the fender mirror or "Wagon" logo.
I have no idea, my full spec was 1fz, leather, center console fridge/icemaker, automatic, rear heat/ac, triple lockers. maybe it was a package they offered? it's a rhd 1992, but brakes, rear axle and engine are more common with 93's. the only option i wish it had was a diesel and the factory winch.

I'd pay that for the job they did for you, all day long. Great looking truck.

How were they able to work around the big decals on the quarter panels? I see the decals are not perfect (a few small bits/chunks missing from age) so I’m assuming they were never removed?

Edit: nvm it looks like you posted pics of how it used to look prior to the new paintjob.

I’ll say this, my boss wanted to get the hood of his 2004 Land Cruiser repainted same color. It’s a Texas truck, zero rust, no dents or dings on the hood, just oxidized/sunburnt factory dark grey metallic paint. A shop we work with and the GM just happens to be his college buddy quoted him $1,600 just to repaint the hood. So you getting a full paintjob under $5k is a bargain. Sure it might not be the best job but aftermarket paintjob a rarely look great unless you’re really paying a premium.

How were they able to work around the big decals on the quarter panels? I see the decals are not perfect (a few small bits/chunks missing from age) so I’m assuming they were never removed?

Edit: nvm it looks like you posted pics of how it used to look prior to the new paintjob.

I’ll say this, my boss wanted to get the hood of his 2004 Land Cruiser repainted same color. It’s a Texas truck, zero rust, no dents or dings on the hood, just oxidized/sunburnt factory dark grey metallic paint. A shop we work with and the GM just happens to be his college buddy quoted him $1,600 just to repaint the hood. So you getting a full paintjob under $5k is a bargain. Sure it might not be the best job but aftermarket paintjob a rarely look great unless you’re really paying a premium.
totally right, it's a lot of labor to get a perfect paint job. if it were a sports car i wouldn't mind paying more but this just gonna be headed off-road. also the manager was showing me his fj cruiser and his 3rd gen 4runner in the shop, i was thinking who else is better than this guy to paint my 80.

I have no idea, my full spec was 1fz, leather, center console fridge/icemaker, automatic, rear heat/ac, triple lockers. maybe it was a package they offered? it's a rhd 1992, but brakes, rear axle and engine are more common with 93's. the only option i wish it had was a diesel and the factory winch.

Interesting!

My 91 is a 3fe, cloth (leather covers so cloth is in perfect condition), center console fridge/icemaker, auto, rear heat/ac, only center diff lock. Wanted a diesel but couldn't register one in the prefecture I lived in for smog regulations. Always love seeing other RHD cruisers on the road.

Thanks for sharing the photos and details, I have not found anyone who would respray my 80 for that <$5,000 figure, stopped at Maaco in Bellevue a while back and just got blown off because they had so much insurance work. I'll likely head up there to talk to the shop in Woodinville.

Thanks for sharing the photos and details, I have not found anyone who would respray my 80 for that <$5,000 figure, stopped at Maaco in Bellevue a while back and just got blown off because they had so much insurance work. I'll likely head up there to talk to the shop in Woodinville.
I live in Redmond WA, if you're local and want to see the truck let me know. I will gladly point out all the pros and cons for you.

Your truck looks great!

I also will speak highly of MAACO, it is all about finding the right one though. I was bummed after going to the Colorado Springs MAACO, they seemed like I was bugging them even just walking around the truck with them. Then, I found two guys on the 60s forum who had good luck with a MAACO up in Commerce City in Denver.

They were awesome to work with. The lady who helped me spent around 45 minutes with me walking around my truck. She genuinely taking her time figuring out how to do this within my budget and quality that I would be happy with.

Our plan was I would pull everything I could off the truck so they could focus on the paint and prep work. They did a really good job prepping and although not OEM quality, I would say they gave it a 8.5 out of 10 paint job. One year later it is still holding up really well. Perfect for my truck.

It was funny though I pulled the flares off when I dropped it off, and I had them reinstall them and install the gaskets, and when I picked up the truck, the owner said he will never agree to do it again. Said it was a major pain in the butt haha.

Moral of the story is there are defiantly good and bad MAACOs, but for what I spent I could not be more thrilled. I think they gave me a screaming deal. Wish I did it 5 years ago instead of trying to wax the paint back to life a million times.

When I dropped it off
IMG_2829.jpeg

The day she came home
IMG_2896.jpeg

All back together

IMG_3257.jpeg

And what I paid

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 3.13.59 PM.png

Looks great, good price. I took body and fender classes when I was stationed in SoCal but that was 97-99. Wish I could find another college class setup and get back in the mix. Only sprayed one car, my 1980 Corolla and it was just single stage white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom