Maaco paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got the 80 back from paint. It was a Maaco job, top package, had the body cladding paint matched and old trim pieces replaced. It's not perfect by any means but for a vehicle I take camping and off-road its great. Waiting a month and might do limited ppf to enjoy a scratch free ride for a while 🙂

PXL_20230824_004303818.jpg

PXL_20230824_004239580.jpg

PXL_20230824_004428733.jpg

PXL_20230824_004933825.jpg

PXL_20230824_004619743.jpg

Nice, sometimes we need to think about the use versus cost. I have used the cheaper paint shops for almost all my resprays because I tend to have drivers and not show vehicles.

Did they replace the welting around the flares, if not they look really good. I see your plates are WA, are you in the state? If so, which shop did the work?

Nice, sometimes we need to think about the use versus cost. I have used the cheaper paint shops for almost all my resprays because I tend to have drivers and not show vehicles.

Did they replace the welting around the flares, if not they look really good. I see your plates are WA, are you in the state? If so, which shop did the work?
Welting was replaced, mine was cracked and falling apart. I had the Woodinville shop do it, it's right down the street from the bourbon distillery. Nice folks, the manager has 3 toyotas he's restoring and was really easy to work with.

I had a body shop quote a full body paint at $15k. Would be curious to see what others are doing.

What did they remove, what did they tape off, what brand paint, what warranty?

I don't bubkus about paint jobs but what is the typical difference between a Maaco paint job vs a super duper expensive paint job?

I realize the prep work is a huge part of the expense so if you can remove everything, sand it down, fix the dents (if you want), then drive it to Maaco, the paint job might actually be decent.

I don't bubkus about paint jobs but what is the typical difference between a Maaco paint job vs a super duper expensive paint job?

I realize the prep work is a huge part of the expense so if you can remove everything, sand it down, fix the dents (if you want), then drive it to Maaco, the paint job might actually be decent.

That's part of it, Most Maaco jobs just spray over bolts, door latches etc. Another part is removing windows and seals vs not.

Some chain joint paint shops use inexpensive bulk paint in your choice of 7 colors - not paint that is color-matched to your vehicle. I saw a Maaco paint job (20 years ago) where you could easily scratch the paint with your fingernail.

Having said that, if the Maaco is a well run shop, and you pay enough (a lot more) you can get a decent paint job there. But, the shops vary hugely in skill and outcome.

Like with any paint shop, you should ask to see completed jobs they have done so you can see what their finished product looks like.

Looks good.

what price?
Did you do any kind of prep or parts removal before turning it over to them?
If so what?
$4900, I live in Redmond WA so cost of living is a big factor here. Other quotes I had were 10k for a factory quality paint job and 14K-15k for better than factory job. I live in an apartment for now so I don't have acces to a garage so I did no prep, trim pieces and gaskets were replaced. i picked the stock color to match the door jambs, saves about 1-2K. There's orange peel and some rough spots but it's so much better than before. I attached the old pics and 100 percent agree with the other replies, do what's best for your budget and view some of the previous work in person if you can.

PXL_20230724_005631990.jpg

PXL_20230724_170328436.jpg

PXL_20230724_005708865.jpg

PXL_20230724_005700008.jpg

PXL_20230724_005654571.jpg

It looks great! Now it's time to break her in with some pinstripes!

Actually looks pretty decent. Maaco is not a bad option, specially if you're willing to strip the car down and do some prep work on your own.

What is the "Wagon" nomenclature for? I have a 91 JDM VX Limited, but it doesn't have the fender mirror or "Wagon" logo.

What did they remove, what did they tape off, what brand paint, what warranty?
any trim pieces near glass were replaced if it was available, fender trim reolaced, i guess they taped off everything there's no overspray that I saw. brand of paint i have no idea, 2 part epoxy with a 5yr warranty, stock metallic green original color. major flaws are orange peel but considering what this will see in a few months I'm not too worried.

Actually looks pretty decent. Maaco is not a bad option, specially if you're willing to strip the car down and do some prep work on your own.
yeah they offered to take off a big portion if I did the prep and disassembly myself, i just didn't have the time or workspace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom