LX570 AHC Globe/Accumulator Replacement (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Throwing in my two cents.
Looking to keep rust out I found after pulling off the skid guards the bolt holes go through the frame. I sprayed a can of rust inhibitor inside both sides of the frame. Besides that I sanded and repainted everything I could that had rust.
There are two breathers by the pump and they look like they have seen better times. I'm going to replace them.
If you get the chance pull out the rocks and dirt from the plate under the shock tower. I want to drill another hole there to slow the rust at some point.
I grabbed a funnel and duct taped to the side with a clear hose to help me add the fluid to the pump reservoir. Still got some fluid on the floor :rolleyes:

LXdid5.jpg

LXdid4.jpg

LXdid2.jpg

LX DID1.jpg

Throwing in my two cents.
Looking to keep rust out I found after pulling off the skid guards the bolt holes go through the frame. I sprayed a can of rust inhibitor inside both sides of the frame. Besides that I sanded and repainted everything I could that had rust.
There are two breathers by the pump and they look like they have seen better times. I'm going to replace them.
If you get the chance pull out the rocks and dirt from the plate under the shock tower. I want to drill another hole there to slow the rust at some point.
I grabbed a funnel and duct taped to the side with a clear hose to help me add the fluid to the pump reservoir. Still got some fluid on the floor :rolleyes:

View attachment 3108276

View attachment 3108277

View attachment 3108279

View attachment 3108280
I hung my funnel from the gas cap with zip times. Same idea. I am really not a fan of where Lexus elected to put the reservoir this time....

This happened to me and I eventually ended up drilling a hole in the shell and jamming a pry bar in. You’ll be puncturing the nitrogen membrane so drill slowly.
@tbisaacs i broke a head off an accumulator. FML. I tried a strap wrench but that hasn’t worked so far. When you drilled it, about how big of a drill bit did you use? Any other tips on this alternate procedure?

@tbisaacs i broke a head off an accumulator. FML. I tried a strap wrench but that hasn’t worked so far. When you drilled it, about how big of a drill bit did you use? Any other tips on this alternate procedure?

That sucks! I don’t remember exactly but it was big enough to get a tapered pry bar into it. I was so stressed out from trying other methods that I went full scorched earth on that sucker.

is there possibly still pressure in that accumulator ? Did you bleed it enough so it is sitting on the bumpstops? or is it just rusted?

is there possibly still pressure in that accumulator ? Did you bleed it enough so it is sitting on the bumpstops? or is it just rusted?
No I was an idiot and started off by over tightening it. Forgot righty-tighty is the opposite way when the bolt is upside down. A breaker bar and too much omph caused it to break off. 🤦🏽

Well if you accidentally over tighten the accumulator and snap the bolt head off, you may need to drill it and jam a pry bar into it. I tried a variety of strap wrenches, cold chisel and hammer and eventually resorted to drilling a hole, jamming a tapered pry bar into it and that worked. Got the accumulator swapped out.

Oh, and removing the running board made it much easier to get the Ahc guard rear bolt in.

48D848C7-4D55-4956-8D8B-4EFF1922BB1B.jpeg

I started gathering parts for this, the nut in my accumulators are 13/16, not exactly 21mm. 21mm has some play, the 13/16 fits very snug and correctly, might be why some people had stripped but issues getting them off?

I started gathering parts for this, the nut in my accumulators are 13/16, not exactly 21mm. 21mm has some play, the 13/16 fits very snug and correctly, might be why some people had stripped but issues getting them off?
Toyota would use metric. Some socket sets have more play than others due to better or worse manufacturing tolerances.

Use 6-sided if possible, and by all means if a 13/16 fits tighter use that, but Toyota wouldn’t have built it that way.

Toyota would use metric. Some socket sets have more play than others due to better or worse manufacturing tolerances.

Use 6-sided if possible, and by all means if a 13/16 fits tighter use that, but Toyota wouldn’t have built it that way.
I agree, it’s super odd, I had both 21mm and 13/16 craftsman 12 pt, they both fit the same, small play with the 21, zero play with the 13/16, I went and bought 6pt 21 and 13/16, exactly the same, also tried the nut on different globes, figured this might be helpful if anyone is having trouble with the 21

I agree, it’s super odd, I had both 21mm and 13/16 craftsman 12 pt, they both fit the same, small play with the 21, zero play with the 13/16, I went and bought 6pt 21 and 13/16, exactly the same, also tried the nut on different globes, figured this might be helpful if anyone is having trouble with the 21

The lesson here for others is try different things until a socket fits tight. Tool makers aren't in the habit of building stuff that fits extremely tight, and in most cases that is fine. That "normal" play means it works on more hardware. But for what you guys are doing with your globes, run whatever is tightest.

I have two 10-mm combination wrenches, one is Kobalt brand from Lowes and the other is Wright, which is my new go-to tool brand when I want something I intend to keep but not to pay Snap-On or Matco prices. The difference in how they fit a given 10mm head bolt is dramatic. Tons of slop in the Kobalt.

The lesson here for others is try different things until a socket fits tight. Tool makers aren't in the habit of building stuff that fits extremely tight, and in most cases that is fine. That "normal" play means it works on more hardware. But for what you guys are doing with your globes, run whatever is tightest.

I have two 10-mm combination wrenches, one is Kobalt brand from Lowes and the other is Wright, which is my new go-to tool brand when I want something I intend to keep but not to pay Snap-On or Matco prices. The difference in how they fit a given 10mm head bolt is dramatic. Tons of slop in the Kobalt.

Extremely nerdy but relevant example of this exact topic

Hello all,

New member here with a question or two regarding AHC issues on an 08 LX570. Hopefully i can get some replies to help out decide on what to do.

The car has about 85k miles, and recently the rear suspension would bottom out on speed bumps with a slightly harsh ride. On a daily basis i drive with the AHC in OFF position and suspension height in N. Now and then i would cycle the AHC from H-L-N a few times and it would get better for a few days before becoming a bit harsh and slightly under-damped at low speed. The AHC fluid was recently flushed around 2000 miles ago when i replaced the leaking rear shocks.

Is this time for new accumulators? Thanks a lot guys!

Hello all,

New member here with a question or two regarding AHC issues on an 08 LX570. Hopefully i can get some replies to help out decide on what to do.

The car has about 85k miles, and recently the rear suspension would bottom out on speed bumps with a slightly harsh ride. On a daily basis i drive with the AHC in OFF position and suspension height in N. Now and then i would cycle the AHC from H-L-N a few times and it would get better for a few days before becoming a bit harsh and slightly under-damped at low speed. The AHC fluid was recently flushed around 2000 miles ago when i replaced the leaking rear shocks.

Why do you drive with AHC in the OFF position? Try running with it left ON and see if it makes a difference for you.

Hello all,

Mine needed replacing after about 10 years and 95k miles…I had a relatively harsh undamped ride that drove me to give the accumulator replacement a shot. They’re $600 worth of items (ebay) I’ll, now that I’ve done it once, replace every 10 years. They’re wear items imo.

Hello all,

Do you have any additional mods or weight? Is the ride issue a forward back pitching motion and lack of damping over bumps and humps?

Wright Tools are the bomb

Why do you drive with AHC in the OFF position? Try running with it left ON and see if it makes a difference for you.
I have been driving with it off since I bought it last year. It automatically turns on once you reach highway speeds. Tried leaving it in ON, ride is still harsh.

Do you have any additional mods or weight? Is the ride issue a forward back pitching motion and lack of damping over bumps and humps?
Bone stock. Only mod only wheels and tires. 17 inch Braid Wheels, on 285/70/17. Main issue is inconsistent damping, sometimes it would ride smooth as silk, and other times harsh. It's been getting worst lately. And when I come to a complete stop there's a slight bouncing on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom