LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got my LX back up and running, I'll detail my issues and fixes here in case it helps somebody else, and for my own reference. Sorry for the long post!

In May I acquired a 2010 LX with 140k miles (225k kms) and a full dealer service history. The dealer had flushed the AHC system at 87k miles, and the seller reported he did a DIY fluid flush a couple of months prior to the sale.

In June it threw a C1755 (Rear Gate Valve) code the first time I ever tried to put it into High. I cleared the code in Techstream, and the vehicle went into H as expected. The code sporadically came back and prevented use of AHC until I cleared it. A couple weeks later, while I was driving with the check 4 Wheel AHC light on, a chime rang and the ride quality rapidly deteriorated. I limped it home and found I now had the C1763 Abnormal Pump Pressure code as well.

After doing some basic diagnostic work, lots of reading on MUD, and having a bunch of fluid shoot back out of my pump while fiddling with the Active Tests, I zeroed in on the AHC pump. Turns out the pump wouldn’t operate even when hooked up directly to a charged 12v battery. Additionally, Rear Height Control Tube No. 6 had a seized flare nut, so I ordered the pump from Japan on ebay, and Rear Height Control tubes 4, 5, and 6 from Partsouq. I picked up 3 aluminum cans of AHC fluid from my local Lexus dealer.

All of the hydraulic line fittings were seized except fortunately the terminal end of No. 4, I took the exhaust off of a few hangers and passed a long handle ratchet over the muffler and used a mirror to see the banjo bolt. Also once I disconnected one end of No. 5, which passes over the exhaust, it immediately snapped in the known weak spot by the heat wrap. Glad I ordered all 3 tubes!

I never found a clear answer regarding how to prime the new pump. What I did was I filled the reservoir with new fluid to approximately the Min line on the bench. I hooked it up to a 12v battery with clear tubing attached to the outlet. It took less than a second before I saw fluid being pushed out of the outlet, so I considered it primed. I removed the tubing and plugged the outlet with the rubber plug that the pump shipped with. I bolted up the pump, removed the rubber plug and connected the No. 6 tube and topped up the reservoir to a little above the Max line (new fluid, inline filter in place).

My 6 year old battery was completely dead after sitting for several weeks, so I bought a replacement.

Once everything was installed I started the vehicle with Techstream running. The C1763 code immediately appeared. I cleared the code and it returned within 2-3 seconds, but I heard the new pump run for those 2-3 seconds, which hadn’t happened with the old pump. I cleared the code again, the pump instantly started running, and the code never came back. I hopped out of the vehicle and watched the reservoir to ensure the fluid level was dropping, but not at risk of running dry. After a few seconds I noticed the vehicle beginning to lift to N.

I topped up the reservoir and bled the system. Lots of air in the front left, incrementally less air as I moved through the remaining corners. Topped up the reservoir, took it for a test drive, cycled through L-N-H no problem. Overnight I noticed fluid had dripped from the bleeder screw on the Accumulator which I had loosened while trying to diagnose the problem. Tightened it, considered it bled, topped up the reservoir, and bled all 4 corners again. Still substantial air in the FL corner, but not as much as the first time. Topped up the reservoir, and that’s where I sit today. Everything works, and no codes.

I plan to disassemble the original pump at some point to see if I can at least form a theory regarding what the problem was.

@turbotwo did you replace the globes? I wonder if your front one is shot. Would explain all the air.
Interesting question. My system lost at least 4 litres of fluid before I swapped the pump, so it didn't really surprise me there was air in the system. Also when I say I had a lot of air I don't really have anything to compare it to. Given the age and mileage it could certainly be that the globes are due for replacement, however the system is functioning properly at the moment.

Ok, here’s my dumb question. What level should the arc tank be at when in lo mode? Im sitting on low level on low height. Is this correct?

Ok, here’s my dumb question. What level should the arc tank be at when in lo mode? Im sitting on low level on low height. Is this correct?
Nope - should be near max when you’re in low

Nope - should be near max when you’re in low
Thanks that’s what I thought. Ordered some fluid. Weird but my fluid i the reservoir even though low looks brand new. I’ve put at least 20k on there since I bought it. Would have thought it would have been darker. Ahc seems to function properly

Does anyone have a source or at least part number for the AHC access panel that screws to the rr inner fender? Can't locate it on parts diagram
Thanks for any help!

Edit : if someone could go look at their door, and post a part number, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a source or at least part number for the AHC access panel that screws to the rr inner fender? Can't locate it on parts diagram
Thanks for any help!

Edit : if someone could go look at their door, and post a part number, it would be much appreciated.
77278-60020

There is a dash light showing : Check 4 wheel AHC.
I was bleeding the front driver side. The first bled was fine. I started the car and it raised up. The second time I bled it, the pump kept going and stop after it tried and it didnt raised the car. Then the light showing Check 4 Wheel AHC.

I tried to bleed the 5th accumulator next to the resonator until it stop bleed, the pump kept trying and nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

There is a dash light showing : Check 4 wheel AHC.
I was bleeding the front driver side. The first bled was fine. I started the car and it raised up. The second time I bled it, the pump kept going and stop after it tried and it didnt raised the car. Then the light showing Check 4 Wheel AHC.

I tried to bleed the 5th accumulator next to the resonator until it stop bleed, the pump kept trying and nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?
After a restart, do you get the check AHC light?

Did you make sure your reservoir tank isn’t out of fluid? Are you using fluid from plastic cans, if so did you check it for clumpy gel?

Might try to do some repeated restarts while changing height to N before the system completes a self check, assuming the answer to above is that the fluid you added was good.

If you can get it to pass a self check without failing after a restart, I’d try driving it around for a while. If everything is still in working order it will eventually level out. If you want to have a better idea what is happening, check techstream, or get OBD Fusion and monitor AHC with that.

20221017_210311.jpg

I can see you threw your glasses off in frustration lol.

I've had this happen after and a bleed and for me the trick was always to press the height switch as soon as I turned the key on, before the engine finished turning over, before the check runs. That starts the pump running right away.

Hope that helps.

I can see you threw your glasses off in frustration lol.

I've had this happen after and a bleed and for me the trick was always to press the height switch as soon as I turned the key on, before the engine finished turning over, before the check runs. That starts the pump running right away.

Hope that helps.
Hahaha..
I tried that too and it didn't work

I had the check AHC message when I first did mine too. I didn't want to deal with it and let it sit overnight. The message was gone the next day.

Hahaha..
I tried that too and it didn't work
You might try doing it 10-12 times before giving up on that tactic. I've had to do it multiple times before to get enough pressure to build up so it won't trip on the self test.

When you get the AHC alert, is it immediately after start up (2-3 sec), or after the pump runs for a while (30 sec)?

You might try doing it 10-12 times before giving up on that tactic. I've had to do it multiple times before to get enough pressure to build up so it won't trip on the self test.

When you get the AHC alert, is it immediately after start up (2-3 sec), or after the pump runs for a while (30 sec)?
The Pump starts after about 3 seconds when I started the engine. The pump automatically starts. It sounded louder than normal.

Pump ran about 30 secs before it stopped and post the warning check 4 wheel ahc

tell us more about your fluid cans and if the reservoir ever ran out or close to out during bleeding

After verifying fluid is all good and plenty of it, you may try making sure the fill cover is removed when starting. I've had issues where the check valve would starve the pump because air doesn't fill in behind the fluid removed from the reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom