LX450 York OBA Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

Today I installed a brand new York 210 on my 1FZFE, so I thought I'd make an install write-up.

george.arnold was kind enough to sell me his complete NIB kit from Wit's End. I had decided on a York OBA but had been searching for the pulley which is the only piece currently NLA.

Total the install took about two hours, very straightforward. The most involved part was getting a thread checker and assembling bolts, washers, and lock washers.

The most finicky part was swapping the pulleys. After having previously replaced the radiator, I wanted to remove as little as possible to get this job done.

This was my process:

1. Loosen belts. 12mm flex head ratcheting wrench makes this pretty easy, just get above the battery and snake your hand down.

2. Remove top two fan shroud bolts (12mm).

3. Remove fan nuts. Four nuts x 12mm.

4. Gently slide fan up and out between the shroud and radiator.

5. Remove and replace pulley.

6. Hang new third belt from pulley, reinstall fan.

7. Mount bracket to engine block (2 x M10x1.25, 2 x M8x1.25).

8. Mount compressor to bracket (4 x 3/8-16).

9. Run third belt over York clutch, tighten York tensioner pulley.

10. Tighten all belts, reinstall upper shroud bolts.

11. Wire/plumb to your design.

I have an air manifold assembled but I'm waiting on some aluminum to make a bracket to mount under the hood. Plan is to leave all components under the hood, and have one output front and one rear. If need be I'll add a buffer tank. Plan is to fill tires, run occasional air tools, and to inflate paddle boards.

York test video

PXL_20230827_200632935.jpg

PXL_20230827_200641336.jpg

Snapchat-1071601242_exported_0.jpg

Last edited:
that's a nice bracket you got there

Update:

I got the rest of the plumbing parts assembled. Manifold is in, system is up and running. Aluminum bracket is mounted to the CC module bolt holes.

The York came prefilled with ~13 oz of oil, so I expected it to puke oil for the first while. I ran it into an air tank for about 15 minutes, emptied about 2 oz of oil from the oil separator. No oil made it into the air tank fortunately.

As a test I filled a 14' paddle board to 15 psi. Took 5 minutes at ~700 RPM. If I set my hand throttle at a higher RPM it would fill much faster.

PXL_20230830_221619437.jpg

Just about to embark on this tomorrow - did you have to trim the heatshields at all ?

Just about to embark on this tomorrow - did you have to trim the heatshields at all ?
I didn't trim it, but I did massage it somewhat with some parallel-jaw pliers. A few taps with a mallet or some strategic bending should be enough.

Do you have any specifics around the oil and water separator you used?
This is the unit I went with. It's in-line just before the unloader valve so the filter doesn't stay pressurized.

Screenshot_20231027-115638.png

Thanks for sharing the pic of your setup. It looks really nice. Did you tap threads for custom fittings up top? Also, do you get any oil leaking from the breather you installed? Still not sure if I should vent the case or not.
I took apart the top end so I could plug the oiling hole on the suction side. When it was off I did tap the ports to 3/8”NPT. Tapped the side hole to 1/4” npt. No oil coming out of the vent. Really just there as an easy way to add oil when needed.

After plugging the oiling port and going to the tapped head I have noticed the compressor is a bit slower to get to 145psi than it was when it was unmodified. Could be from the fittings or the plugging the oiling port. Those were the only two changes. Haven’t investigated yet and it’s still fast enough to do what I need to do, except it is now putting out much cleaner air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom