Builds LX450 crawler build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go wide! Why did you clean the tubes?
Because it was undecided who or how they were going to do it, and also what width I wanted. Originally I was leaning towards just swapping tube ends and running stock length inner shafts, but after measuring stuff I had limited space to land the links on the tube and the drive shaft/pinion would be 3.5” further out than stock, so now the plan is for the pinion to be in the same place as stock and stock f250 width which is 70.5” IIRC.

Because it was undecided who or how they were going to do it, and also what width I wanted. Originally I was leaning towards just swapping tube ends and running stock length inner shafts, but after measuring stuff I had limited space to land the links on the tube and the drive shaft/pinion would be 3.5” further out than stock, so now the plan is for the pinion to be in the same place as stock and stock f250 width which is 70.5” IIRC.
Yeah the cruiser pinion lateral offset is surprisingly centered. I measured it about 5.75-6" from centerline. This only mattered to me because I wanted to run a CV driveshaft up front to keep it out of the rocks. With the lackluster gearing of the a343f, I went with 6.17s rather than 5.38s. that gear ratio is only avail with a low pinion 60... Etc

Assume you're running 5.38?

Awesome thread and awesome skills!

And I love your attitude of wheel it till it breaks, find a solution, and laugh the whole time!

Yeah the cruiser pinion lateral offset is surprisingly centered. I measured it about 5.75-6" from centerline. This only mattered to me because I wanted to run a CV driveshaft up front to keep it out of the rocks. With the lackluster gearing of the a343f, I went with 6.17s rather than 5.38s. that gear ratio is only avail with a low pinion 60... Etc

Assume you're running 5.38?
I’m thinking 5.13, I have 10% underdrive in the high side, and with the 1FZ I’m somewhat afraid of the highway revs/power. Im not sure how much longer this will be 1FZ powered though so I have to think of future engine/gearing options. I’m currently on 4.88’s.

I’m thinking 5.13, I have 10% underdrive in the high side, and with the 1FZ I’m somewhat afraid of the highway revs/power. Im not sure how much longer this will be 1FZ powered though so I have to think of future engine/gearing options. I’m currently on 4.88’s.
1fz likes revs. If you're gonna swap engine and trans, I assume t case goes away too?
You're going to keep the rear centered?

1fz likes revs. If you're gonna swap engine and trans, I assume t case goes away too?
You're going to keep the rear centered?
I’d most likely go with an atlas, but nothings been determined yet. I Don’t plan on messing with the rear width, the pinion is about 2.5” inward compared to the stock axle which could be an issue with the driveshaft into the fuel tank. There’s a decent chance I’m gonna end up ditching the stock fuel tank so I can do a triangulated rear 4 link anyways. People will say don’t mess with making the front axle passenger drop, but if I do try to do everything at once I’m never going to finish it, trying not to bite off more than I can chew at once.

I’d most likely go with an atlas, but nothings been determined yet. I Don’t plan on messing with the rear width, the pinion is about 2.5” inward compared to the stock axle which could be an issue with the driveshaft into the fuel tank. There’s a decent chance I’m gonna end up ditching the stock fuel tank so I can do a triangulated rear 4 link anyways. People will say don’t mess with making the front axle passenger drop, but if I do try to do everything at once I’m never going to finish it, trying not to bite off more than I can chew at once.
You can dual triangulate the rear without ditching the stock tank. I posted a thread on it. @jfmaillot also time travelled into the future in 2012 or something and copied me. @jcardona1 did it too

Progress has been slow, front axle is still at the machine shop but I should have it back this week(I’ve heard that before). All the brackets are cut off the truck and I ditched the stock fuel tank and will be building a custom tank.

Will be doing 5.13’s, 40 spline front and 35 rear, ARB air lockers F and R, 14” radflo coilovers all around, aluminum fuel cell(under truck and behind the rear axle, most likely 7075 aluminum lower links, undecided on the upper link material, 17” dirty life roadkill beadlocks, and 42” good year MTR’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom