LX windshield for LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just replaced my LX windshield with aftermarket glass and my truck is still extremely quiet. You could be chasing a unicorn on the OEM side. If you’re looking for acoustic follow the path that @TLEXAS
used

We also have one of the best LC/LX glass technicians on the planet …Mike from Windshield City in the DC area

I just replaced my LX windshield with aftermarket glass and my truck is still extremely quiet. You could be chasing a unicorn on the OEM side.
I'm seeing multiple Lexus websites (both dealers and online businesses) that show the OEM windshield (part 56111-60430) for about $700 including tax. I keep hearing how OEM is hard to find... am I missing something here?

For LX windshields, I'm seeing these as the options, installed, at least in my area. I'm hemming and hawing given no consensus on the quality of the aftermarket brands:
  • OEM Lexus: $850
  • PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works): $425
  • FYG (Fuyao Group): $350
I'm thinking if I had an LC, I may not notice much difference with the PGW or FYG. But since I have an LX, I'm guessing it may be more noticeable. Anyone wanna coax me one way or another?!

I'm seeing multiple Lexus websites (both dealers and online businesses) that show the OEM windshield (part 56111-60430) for about $700 including tax. I keep hearing how OEM is hard to find... am I missing something here?

For LX windshields, I'm seeing these as the options, installed, at least in my area. I'm hemming and hawing given no consensus on the quality of the aftermarket brands:
  • OEM Lexus: $850
  • PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works): $425
  • FYG (Fuyao Group): $350
I'm thinking if I had an LC, I may not notice much difference with the PGW or FYG. But since I have an LX, I'm guessing it may be more noticeable. Anyone wanna coax me one way or another?!
Lexus glass is not hard to find. It's just hard to get covered by insurance because they default to the cheap stuff. Many policies explicitly state the insured person may demand OEM parts. That's how my policy is with Allstate. The policy very clearly states you have the option to demand nothing but genuine OEM parts.

IMO, this is a quality risk tolerance question. How tolerant are you of a potentially flawed (even in minimally) windshield. Also consider how much of a PITA a proper windshield job is.

One note my windshield shop made was that they always push insurance for OEM glass. Every time. It makes them no extra money, but it saves them from potential hassle when the aftermarket glass is slightly off. Aftermarket glass could have waviness or outright missed features like primer ceramic strips that don't cover the whole area where urethane will be applied. Or problematic rain-sensing wiper cutouts, etc...

I think you're crazy to try to save $400 on non-OEM glass on a 100 series if you plan on owning it a long time.

If you don't already have full glass coverage, get it quoted. My $0 deductible glass coverage costs nearly nothing - and it's already paid out ~$2.5k+.

I think you're crazy to try to save $400 on non-OEM glass on a 100 series if you plan on owning it a long time.
This truck will be with me til the end. But I'm wondering whether OEM now is going to be the same quality as OEM back in 2002. I keep hearing about the glass industry changing so much and Chinese manufacturing being mostly a big miss. Anyone know who manufactures Lexus OEM glass NOW? I can't get an answer from my neighborhood Lexus dealer.

If you don't already have full glass coverage, get it quoted. My $0 deductible glass coverage costs nearly nothing - and it's already paid out ~$2.5k+.
My State Farm agents says they don't offer glass coverage. It's all part of my comprehensive deductible.

I ended up going for the OEM 2002 LX glass. Even though my installer, who is extremely experienced working on 100 series installs, said it was exactly same as the LC and made in same factory etc. Perfect fit no issues.

The OEM glass is made by AGC (Asahi Glass Co.) who, as far as I know, was the original manufacturer when the vehicle was released. I do not know what factory my windshield was made in but from a quick google search there are plants in Tennessee, Kentucky and Kansas.

Here's the bug on my newly installed windshield

IMG_7006.jpg

I ended up going for the OEM 2002 LX glass. Even though my installer, who is extremely experienced working on 100 series installs, said it was exactly same as the LC and made in same factory etc. Perfect fit no issues.
@shakeandpop, thanks for sharing. That's good to hear. I see you're in LA. Care to share which installer you used? I've been looking around and I know Alfredo's in Corona comes highly recommended... but I'm in Long Beach. And did you purchase the glass yourself from a dealer or did the installer get it through their sources?

Here is the bug from my other neighbors LX. Not sure if the glass is original or just an OEM replacement.

7918D37E-8F14-45D2-AD65-CE173D04FF64.jpeg

Hello all, I wanted to weigh in on the windshield discussion in an attempt to help. I’ve spent my entire life working for various OEMs as an engineer, assembly plant maintenance tech, field tech, technical training, quality, R&D, warranty, safety, marketing and now parts.

One thing to check is the DOT number:

The LX and LC should be DOT 20 if OEM glass installed at Araco/Toyota Auto Body Yoshiwara A11 plant.

Some other pics I’ve seen of the bug/graphic/text with the Lexus (!!!) logo are in fact not OEM or even an OE supplier based on the DOT number.

In my current role I fight this stuff all day long with counterfeit or gray market parts.

Anyhow, I have an appointment to have my windshield replaced on 6/28 and came across some of the threads trying to ascertain whether my 06 LX has an acoustic shield type glass or not. I still don’t know!

I did request OEM glass and it is being performed at the local LX/LC expert noted so we will see what gets installed. I’m going to ask what brand will be installed if my OEM request is denied by Progressive and hope that the local expert knows what is good if it won’t be OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom