LX windshield for LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 cruiser, looking to replace windshield in a month or so. I have seen people say the LX windshield glass has sound deadening or acoustic properties vs the land cruiser, both in this forum and others. But I haven't really seen much definitive proof beyond hearsay that the LX glass is quieter.

So, can someone point me to some definitive evidence that the LX glass has deadening properties? Perhaps some LX promotional materials from the time?

Another question: Do all years of LX have the acoustic glass, or is it only the latter years?

Reason I am so interested in this question is if LX glass is indeed quieter I will likely install it in my cruiser. Is there any reason why that would not work, or is not a good idea?

You could add this.

Last edited:
Thanks yeah I’ve added pretty much every mod in that thread in order to help quiet things down.

Windshield is my next weakest link ;)

Anyone care to chime in on this? I see it written an awful lot on this board. Is it just accepted fact the LX glass has acoustic deadening properties and the LC does not?

I went down this path, when considering replacement windshield for my 06LX.

I was not able to find material on the 100 series glass being different in LX vs LC. Instead, I found that most glass companies hadn't a clue and thought all the glass was identical, regardless of manufacturer. :eyeroll:

Acoustic glass is generally marked as such. My genuine Lexus glass has no such mark. It's AGC Lamisafe. They make acoustic glass as well, but it appears to be a different product line.

Regardless, I'd go OEM again. Windshield installs are a huge potential problem for the 100 series. Spend the extra $400-500 on genuine OEM stuff (toyota/Lexus). A poor windshield job can cost thousands to repair (mine cost around $2200 in corrective body work). My installer said they try to use OEM whenever possible because they've had multiple instances where the aftermarket glass had improper or poorly applied ceramic. The OEM stuff never has such defects. If those ceramic areas are flawed you can get poor adhesion and excessive wind noise or moisture ingress.

1622138242761.png

Absolutely recommended upgrade to get the Lexus screen. Had to do a tidy up of rust around the screen last time I had it replaced. Took the opportunity to upgrade to better tinted and acoustic screen. At the time I did an amateur level sound test with an app and found there was a measurable reduction in noise after fitting the new screen.
Windscreen landcruiser.jpg

Here in West TX, windshields are replaced at least once a year! No way.. I go with OEM.

Yes I am going OEM for sure. It's simply a question of whether the LX windscreen actually offers acoustic deadening, and if so will it fit my 2002 LC.

@Supra if your LX OEM windscreen didn't have the acoustic marks, I wonder if that's the same across the entire range of years for the 100 series. Perhaps other LX owners could take photos of their windshield markings and we can get to the bottom of this?

Last edited:
Here in West TX, windshields are replaced at least once a year! No way.. I go with OEM.
My All State policy very clearly states windshields are under comprehensive with $0 deductible and that OEM body parts shall be used if insured (me) does not accept aftermarket.

Adds like $10 to my annual premium. 10/10 would recommend, haha.
Absolutely recommended upgrade to get the Lexus screen. Had to do a tidy up of rust around the screen last time I had it replaced. Took the opportunity to upgrade to better tinted and acoustic screen. At the time I did an amateur level sound test with an app and found there was a measurable reduction in noise after fitting the new screen.View attachment 2686572
Weird. Is that Lexus glass? Maybe an aftermarket part compatible with Lexus? I don't think Fuyao is on OE supplier, but maybe they are. 🤷

Here's their marketing for the acoustic glass: ACOUSTIC GLASS_Fuyao Group - https://www.fuyaogroup.com/en/products_list_7.html

Apparently uses a sound insulating material between "PVB" to reduce 1000-4000 hz.

"My All State policy very clearly states windshields are under comprehensive with $0 deductible and that OEM body parts shall be used if insured (me) does not accept aftermarket."

I also have All state Insurance but only collision for my LC. However, I have collision and comprehensive for my 21 Taco. Do you think I too have zero deductible for windshield for the Taco?

any LX owners care to look at their Lexus windscreens and report back whether or not they have the following marks. pics welcomed!!

• The word “Acoustic
  • A capital “A
  • An ear with a curved arrow passing
  • SoundScreen on the glass indicate that your windshield is made of acoustic glass.
These are lifted straight from the article @awesomeissquid listed above: How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - https://bettersoundproofing.com/how-to-tell-if-you-have-acoustic-windshield/

There are a few LXs that live in my area. When I take the dog out later I will see if I can grab pictures of any of their glass info.

any LX owners care to look at their Lexus windscreens and report back whether or not they have the following marks. pics welcomed!!

• The word “Acoustic
  • A capital “A
  • An ear with a curved arrow passing
  • SoundScreen on the glass indicate that your windshield is made of acoustic glass.
These are lifted straight from the article @awesomeissquid listed above: How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - https://bettersoundproofing.com/how-to-tell-if-you-have-acoustic-windshield/
Pics here:

I can’t get a picture of our 99 LX at the moment, as it’s at the shop, but I’m pretty sure every piece of glass on that vehicle is marked “TOYOTA”.

A picture from our 2006 LX470 original “NightView” windshield:
2790FFA1-A45D-4E3C-968B-12E639E9F5C7.png

thanks for all the pictures folks. so far I haven't seen any markings to indicate LX glass with acoustic deadening properties. Hopefully someone can turn that around soon ;)

I was at the Lexus dealership today and took the opportunity to stroll around their certified used car lot. They were several 2017 and newer LX 570’s on the lot as well as a LS500 and none of them had the acoustic markings as outlined by the linked article. The LS500 windshield is certainly acoustic so this leads me to believe the OEM Lexus glass must not prescribe to the linked naming conventions.

Here’s the LS500 windshield. Note there are no “acoustic” or “A” or ear markings on it.

8E255CD7-17D3-4A98-8223-4EA58290313F.jpeg

Last edited:
My assumption is that you can use the LX glass on the Land Cruiser. I don’t see why there would be any fitment issues with it anyways. The main question for me is whether a later model LX windshield will work with an earlier model Land Cruiser (98-02)

As for the acoustic question, seeing the newer Lexus model windshields with no markings makes me think the only way we could ever verify whether the LX windshields actually do you have acoustic properties is to reference the original promotional/marketing materials released at the time of launch for the vehicle. Surely the acoustic properties would have been touted to justify the higher sticker price.

As a data point my original 2002 Land Cruiser windshield is marked “Lamisafe”. So it is laminated. But I guess it is not acoustic?

Here’s the bug on my 2002 LX. I assume this is original OEM. I read on another Lexus forum that AGC/Asahi/DOT20 all refer to the same manufacturer in Japan FWIW.
12583663-B202-45A6-9BB5-8F9FA51BD1A4.jpeg

I ended up on this thread because my son broke the windshield while sitting on the passenger seat trying to put on his soccer cleats :bang:

Will it be possible to find OEM for a 2002 LX? If not, which aftermarket windshield are good enough and which should I avoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom