LX 470 grille and headlight housings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping a Land Cruiser latch will work.

I’ll have to compare my LX to my son’s LC over the weekend.

From memory the LC latch is on the core support and it latches to a “pocket” in the hood, while the LX latch is on the hood (operated by a handle on the grill that is connected by a rod to the latch) that latches to the core support. There’s probably another latch in Toyota’s inventory that would work, but I’m not sure the 100 series LC latch is it.

I’ll have to compare my LX to my son’s LC over the weekend.

From memory the LC latch is on the core support and it latches to a “pocket” in the hood, while the LX latch is on the hood (operated by a handle on the grill that is connected by a rod to the latch) that latches to the core support. There’s probably another latch in Toyota’s inventory that would work, but I’m not sure the 100 series LC latch is it.
I looked at my friends LX and I thought it was the same setup other than the extension rod that goes to the handle. Looked like my LC would swap over and work. Not totally sure though. Take a look and let me know, thanks.

I looked at my friends LX and I thought it was the same setup other than the extension rod that goes to the handle. Looked like my LC would swap over and work. Not totally sure though. Take a look and let me know, thanks.

LC latch on core support:
1572633664583.png

The catch in the LC hood that receives the latch:
1572633754903.png

The LX latch:
1572634041982.png

The catch on the core support that receives the latch:
1572634157846.png

It looks like the LC latch would bolt right into place on the core support of the LX:
1572634765872.png

But the LC pocket/slot/catch is nowhere to be found on my LX:
1572634848158.png

It looks like the LC latch would bolt right into place on the core support of the LX:
View attachment 2122663

But the LC pocket/slot/catch is nowhere to be found on my LX:
View attachment 2122664
That’s great, thank you. Looking at this, I think the LX latch will work still. Just need to make a lever or something to replace the bar. This was helpful

Test fit went pretty well. I was pleased with how it looked. With this design, I was not focused on the body line where the hood meets the headlight housing, it didn't present itself as the focal point anymore!! :D I think this design idea with the split grille might have actually been the right way to go. There are a few minor alterations, but for the most part, everything fit. The headlight housings dropped right into place, and the grille was a good fit also. The small piece on the hood was the one thing I knew needed work. That piece will be a little larger, now giving it more ability to have light options installed. I have made all the changes to my DXF files last night, and will have more cut hopefully in Dec.

I'm sure many of us would love to see a pic if you took any!
I did, but I do not want to show any photos until it looks perfect. I keep showing unfinished prototype parts because I want to share. That is probably a bad idea because they must just look bad to a lot of people. These photos weren't much to show anyway.

Also, when the hood is popped, you can reach the latch with your finger. This shouldn't be an issue, which is a good thing for me. I have enough nonsense to deal with.

I enjoy looking at your prototypes.

I would think the feedback you receive is worth showing unfinished work
Thanks, and you are right. I should have taken better pics. These are in a dark a garage, so next time I will make sure to take better ones.

Saw Kelly was the most recent post, came in to see if new pics were added.

I don't think you've got the wrong idea by wanting to keep pics to a minimum before the item is complete. However, I'm (and I'm sure others) are very curious to see how it's looking!

Saw Kelly was the most recent post, came in to see if new pics were added.

I don't think you've got the wrong idea by wanting to keep pics to a minimum before the item is complete. However, I'm (and I'm sure others) are very curious to see how it's looking!
Ok, ok. Just keep the critique to a minimum:zilla:, as this appearance is more rough looking than it really is overall.

The lower grille is 1/4" too high and nothing is bolted on, It is all just sitting there. The gap between the headlights and grille was off as seen in the picture. Easy fix, but strange because I used my grille file, and headlight file to make this whole kit, so it should have fit perfectly. Maybe I screwed up somewhere, don't know. Anyway, All the lines that are off in the photo will be dead-on the next round. The main, critical parts all fit really well, which was a relief. The headlight housings are fitting very nicely. The gap between the hood and face frame is near perfection :D :p:). All the attachment points landed on the holes. Nothing was tweaked or off other than cosmetic stuff on the face frames.

The DXF files are all updated already and will be cut next month. If I had a local plasma cutter here in Flagstaff, then I could produce these prototypes quickly. It is what it is though.🐌

I chose the basic small hex, one piece grille, no emblem, plain as can be. I feel like there is a lot of available options here, and I like the way it looks as it is here (minus the mistakes). This setup, powder coated and installed on a vehicle with a front bumper, I think it will look great. The best design update to this was removing the fiberglass part (valance) thinggy below the grille, bringing the grille face frame down lower to replace it. Less clutter of parts, cleaner aesthetics. Also, making the grille in two sections (upper and lower). This has helped the awkwardness of the headlight housing upper face frame seam where it meets the hood. Instead of running into the side of the grille, now it's continuous. I have some other ideas that might be good also, but I need to slow down for now. I am finally optimistic with these parts, as it has been a tough challenge to design.

Sorry too much text, I need to shut up.

IMG_0163.jpg

@kelly saad

Me and the Indy shop owner just test fit the 100 series lights today. everything should be wired up by the end of the weekend

I won’t judge your prototype if you Don’t judge my test fit

6271ADFA-D63C-4911-9AD4-3FE7595FF716.jpeg

As for the grill - has anyone ran the headlight housings with the factory grill?

and can your new LX design (which I’m buying) work with the factory grill?

thanks for sharing pics - we’re all stoked!

@kelly saad

Me and the Indy shop owner just test fit the 100 series lights today. everything should be wired up by the end of the weekend

I won’t judge your prototype if you Don’t judge my test fit

View attachment 2139122

As for the grill - has anyone ran the headlight housings with the factory grill?

and can your new LX design (which I’m buying) work with the factory grill?

thanks for sharing pics - we’re all stoked!
Factory grille fits, just drill the top 2 screw holes on the tabs on top of the headlight housings.

No LX factory grille with this. I tried, it looked horrible. So, it will be headlight housings and my grille, or just my grille. No headlight housings alone.

Factory grille fits, just drill the top 2 screw holes on the tabs on top of the headlight housings.

No LX factory grille with this. I tried, it looked horrible. So, it will be headlight housings and my grille, or just my grille. No headlight housings alone.
YES!!! I just copy pasted this 👆 to my wife...

you hear that honey? Kelly said I have to order the grille too - not my fault, just part of the design 😉

Couldn't resist. Upper grille section with opening for thin, single row curved light bar 31.5" wide. A little throwback to Knight Rider (KIT)

LX 470 grille with lightbar.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom