LX 470 grille and headlight housings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a rough prototype to show as an example. This one is not exactly how the final will look, and no, the top is not interfering with the headlight. The entire headlight and trim will be replaced by this housing. I do think the only way it will look correct is to color match the face. The odd shape of the hood stands out when the housing is next to it. Color matching would fix that. The inner area can use whatever light anyone wants if it fits. I can have the openings custom cut to the lights.

View attachment 2032496
@kelly saad have you thought about reducing the low beam light to a common 5.75" diameter light (same great lighting options out there for that size as there are for the 7") and seeing if a second 5.75" can be fit into the high beam location? Fog lights are great, but they really belong way down on the bumper. The OEM quad setup really opens up the opportunity (legally, for some of us) to run some serious on and off-road forward lighting and I think two 5.75" per side would be amazing. If not, a 7"/90mm combo would be nice as well, but since you're in the design stage, I figured I'd ask.

@kelly saad have you thought about reducing the low beam light to a common 5.75" diameter light (same great lighting options out there for that size as there are for the 7") and seeing if a second 5.75" can be fit into the high beam location? Fog lights are great, but they really belong way down on the bumper. The OEM quad setup really opens up the opportunity (legally, for some of us) to run some serious on and off-road forward lighting and I think two 5.75" per side would be amazing. If not, a 7"/90mm combo would be nice as well, but since you're in the design stage, I figured I'd ask.
Funny you mention that. My original idea was to make this with two 5.75 lights. I cannot locate any 5.75 brackets though. I found some in Thailand made for some crazy Mazda vehicle, but that is too much trouble for me. I order my 7" brackets from China (unfortunately) and they cost $7 each. Couldn't find any 5.75, and I tried. Only thing out there is the 5.75" bucket for motorcycles. There is a "step-up" section on the lower frame piece and that might be in the way of using two 5.75" lights anyway. It was really tough to fit all this in there and make it work. The area that can hold the 3.5" light can be anything that will fit, not sure what options are out there. I just know that there are a lot of good options for 3.5" lights. Thanks for the ideas though!

Reactions: BEG
TAKE MY MONEY!!!!! This looks awesome!
Really? I hope it will look awesome, but I'm worried it won't. Once I fit this next headlight, then I will make the enire front (grille and headlights) together, and that will be cool.

Funny you mention that. My original idea was to make this with two 5.75 lights. I cannot locate any 5.75 brackets though. I found some in Thailand made for some crazy Mazda vehicle, but that is too much trouble for me. I order my 7" brackets from China (unfortunately) and they cost $7 each. Couldn't find any 5.75, and I tried. Only thing out there is the 5.75" bucket for motorcycles. There is a "step-up" section on the lower frame piece and that might be in the way of using two 5.75" lights anyway. It was really tough to fit all this in there and make it work. The area that can hold the 3.5" light can be anything that will fit, not sure what options are out there. I just know that there are a lot of good options for 3.5" lights. Thanks for the ideas though!
Thanks! I'm cool with the 7"/3.5". I plan to run a set of these and these, if it all fits.

Thanks! I'm cool with the 7"/3.5". I plan to run a set of these and these, if it all fits.
I have JW's and they are amazing. The 90mm will fit, both of those will fit. Now I just need to complete the headlight housings and not screw up. 😕

Here it is, prototype #3:bang: the headlight openings are too high, I messed that up, but an easy fix. If this fits then game on.

F811B684-45C3-4FE8-966A-FFA7B303BC72.jpeg

This week I will have it painted and get some better pics. Looks really good though. Was very happy. In these photos, the opening hole where the headlight will mount is too high FYI. Keep in mind, it's still bare metal so it looks a bit odd. Will mount it next to the prototype grille I have too once I paint the headlight.

Tonight, this is me: :p :D :bounce::) :):bounce::p:bounce2:.....................:cool:

This is just the most difficult step in this whole project. Now, I will remove the small fiberglass panel below the grille, and rework this whole front on the LX.

IMG_9899.JPG
IMG_9900.JPG
IMG_9902.JPG
IMG_9906.JPG

This week I will have it painted and get some better pics. Looks really good though. Was very happy. In these photos, the opening hole where the headlight will mount is too high FYI. Keep in mind, it's still bare metal so it looks a bit odd. Will mount it next to the prototype grille I have too once I paint the headlight.

Tonight, this is me: :p :D :bounce::) :):bounce::p:bounce2:.....................:cool:

This is just the most difficult step in this whole project. Now, I will remove the small fiberglass panel below the grille, and rework this whole front on the LX.

View attachment 2050652View attachment 2050653View attachment 2050654View attachment 2050655
Looks great! Can't wait to see it with lights in it.

Are there weep holes or channels for water to drain?
Yes, the whole inside have slots along every corner. No place for water to sit.

Again, incredible work. I assume the headlights will be fully integrated (able) with your grills?
Thanks! I didn’t like the way this looked once I painted it and installed the grille and headlights together. So, I redesigned the whole thing so that it will flow better from a design perspective. Well, hopefully anyway. Anyway, to answer your question, yes the headlights will actually attach to the grille.

Thanks! I didn’t like the way this looked once I painted it and installed the grille and headlights together. So, I redesigned the whole thing so that it will flow better from a design perspective. Well, hopefully anyway. Anyway, to answer your question, yes the headlights will actually attach to the grille.

Attached to the grille.. How would that work?

Attached to the grille.. How would that work?
Grille will be in two pieces. Only a thin section will be attached to the hood. Lower section will be attached to headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom