LS (5.3) vs Turbo Diesel (4BD1T, B3.3): Which is the better compromise? (1 Viewer)

Small diesel or 5.3?

• Diesel (4BD1T or B3.3)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • LM7 5.3

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I once seen a thread where a guy said case and axles survived abuse behind a 12v for several years. Was curious about my 5 liter turbo diesel.

No problems with my 250k mile axles or rebuilt split case for almost 2 years now. I do zero wheeling but I DO like to accelerate
I don't see a build thread...which diesel do you have?

I have a 6BT in my 80 series with a nv4500, no worries about drivetrain strength at the moment.

You will find the guys that say everything will break don't have one or any real world experience with it. They are just repeating what they have heard.

There is one guy in Alberta that has broken a couple rear ends in his but he admits he is not easy on his stuff and he runs 38" tires. That is the only one I have heard of.

Is it stressing the stock axles more? Likely, but if your not cranking the engine up to crazy power levels I don't think you will have a problem.

I'm working away from home with a good bit of free time, so while I'm bored in the mean time I like to think about ways to spend money that I've not made yet :bang:

I've just refreshed the top end of my 2F. The previous compression test numbers were in the 140 range. I know at 280,000 its got a good bit of life left in it. Just adjusted the valves, re did the entire cooling system, and it will get all new brakes/suspension and a birfield rebuild with wheel bearings next month. The 2F is not going to blow after this refresh, I'd like to get another 50k out of it. So this isn't a question of desperation, just planning of the future. The bragging rights to have a vehicle of this vintage and mileage, make me happy. 500k with only the head being pulled and a small refresh is nothing short of amazing.

I will be doing some off roading and extended range would be nice, also I would like to be able to pull my racecar @ 3500lbs plus trailer. I try to daily drive it as much as possible.

Bottom line: I'm in love with the truck. I really like the simple mechanical feel of it, the manual must stay, I don't want it to be super luxurious, but I'd like to increase power and mileage a bit down the line. If the 30 year old motor running on 5 cylinders got me around, this newly refreshed top end and misc items will feel like a rocketship in perspective.

Both swaps are not an issue because of the emissions exempt status of this truck.

Here are the options.

5.3 LM7

Pros:

-The engine hardware is cheap. I can get a running 100k mile dressed motor for $1000 ish around here. Low cost of entry.

-I'm familiar with this style of swap, and I've already got the fuel system for it. I swapped a 6.1 into my old car so EFI. I could go megaquirt or factory based EFI.

-Easily 360 hp, would just do a factory refreshed shortblock with Z06 or LS9 cam. Will move the truck at highway speeds easily with the H55. 200k of longevity easily.

-Parts availability is amazing and reliability. Accessories and everything is cheap.

-Readily available kits to adapt parts.

-Wide range of oil pans to aide in clearance for front differential.

-Mechanical fan can be used, accessories can easily be adapted over to the 60's AC and PS.

-Wont fare as well in a water crossing and could potentially have electrical issues.

Cons:

-Mileage will never be diesel like. What are you guys managing? I'd like to see at least 15 city to justify it all.

-Not sure if the power curve will be fine with 33 or taller tires and 3.70 gears.

-I'll have to toss out my brand new CSF radiator and cooling system.

Diesels (4BD1T and B3.3, not considering 4BT or 6BT at this point)

Pros:

-4BD1T. Second only to the 4BT in terms of knowledge base, but plenty of parts and easy to source info. Uses about the same style of adapter that the LS would use. Rebuild kits are all over and not used motors can be had with some searching.

-B3.3. New for $3500 but never used in an on the road vehicle in the states. Parts network is a little iffy, but they're out there.

-100hp and 280 lb ft would be enough to drive the truck to 70 mph, and get awesome mileage. 20+mpg

-Durability is on par with the gas engine.

-Adapters exist to use the H55F.

-If I ever got into a water crossing, the snorkel could be used and I'd have a safe motor.

-Turbo noise (I wont like, that makes me happy)

Cons:

-If something goes wrong, parts availability will likely put the truck down for a while.

-Fuel system will require better filters and pumps than the LS swaps.

-Turbo (another moving part to go wrong)

-Not required, but an intercooler is a good idea. Air to air would require creative piping and possibly cutting which I would like to avoid, air to water would be easier to package but would involve another electrical item like a Bosch Cobra water pump for the radiator.

-Eyes will likely be glued to the EGT gauge for the first few thousand miles out of paranoia.

-Will have to push for a 12v system. Glow plug starts could potentially be an issue but it doesn't get that cold in texas.

-Cost is higher than the gas engine by far.

-Engine accessories might be a pain. B3.3 is the most difficult in terms of adding AC and PS. Custom brackets more than likely. Not looking forward to that.

I've been reading threads left and right, most notably all 100+ pages of @The Phoenician whole saga of issues and triumphs. I'd really like to see his truck to help me decide.

What do all of you think?

I hear ya. My '62 is closing in on 400k and I am almost certain the engine will outlast the trans. Will cross that bridge when we get there...

To your delimna, I wonder myself. I also have a '76 '40 that has been undergoing a years long heart transplant. I am half tempted to scrap my engine choice and put an LS in it. It has a b3.3 and nv4500 now, and hasn't even driven with them yet. I am entertaining saving the b3.3 for the '62 down the road, with a 700r4 behind it. I will have to figure that out before I start back in with it, hopefully this fall.

I have more in adapters for my B3.3 than I would have had in a good 5.3 and 4l60. At least with the b3.3 I have, your 100hp and 280 ft lbs isn't going to come without some tinkering, and potential decrease in longevity.

LS wins on price, parts availability and power, anyone can work on it, proven longevity in truck platforms (not saying a b3.3 isn't good - but the sample size is rather small..), perfectly acceptable fuel mileage, quiet, easily adaptable, accessories are a breeze, etc. The only possible con some will see to the LS is that everyone is doing it (wonder why..?)

The pros I see for the b3.3 are more intangible - it's a diesel, it's unique, it sounds different. It should also return mid 20's for mileage (and maybe more?). It's dirt simple if you know what you're looking at. The cons are that its not everything else the LS is, its more expensive to acquire and adapt for vehicle use, and if you need a part in BFE you're probably waiting - but you will at least be able to get it.

My reason to swap in a non stock Diesel engine is that I'm simply a sucker for something different and I like diesels. It didn't hurt that I fell into a good deal on a couple of engines either. I am not sure a guy could honestly rationalize it any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom