Low Profile: 80 + Front Runner Slimline II Rack + Awning Thru a 6'6" Door (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have M101 CDN 1/4 ton trailer for hauling camp along. It works great but it is after all a trailer and sometimes you want to go lighter. Several years ago now, my buddy pigeonfarmboy gifted me with their old Eeziawn Swift when they were doing some up grades on the Hungry Hippo.

At first I was inclined to get a couple of bars and just mount it that way after getting some recommendations in this thread.
Need Low Profile Mount Crossbars for Eezi-Awn Swift Awning
Sounds easy enough, except for the fact that once done, it all had to fit through our rather retsrictive 6'6" garage door. I was inclined toward the Front Runner Slimline II rack.

I recently dropped by my local tech's shop, Specialized, here in Urbana to take some pics on a whim a few weeks ago:
3x80 (plus a 100, a 60 & a Built Sequoia) Basking in the Midwest Specialized Sun - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3x80-plus-a-100-a-60-a-built-sequoia-basking-in-the-midwest-specialized-sun.1315727/
One of the beauty's sitting out from was a RHD 80 with said Front Runner rack. I took measurements to confirm and found that it would work, but would be very close - very, very close as you can see here.
qI0ewH.jpg

This is the driver's side. Fortunately, the PS had just a little more clearance - the door and garage are nowhere close to square - so the little bit extra the awning sticks out is OK.
Hs6P0M.jpg

Not sure I'll be able to back in, but not a big deal. Obviously, anything loaded on the rack needs to be done outside, but can cope with that.

I had to lube the Swift's zipper and gently tug at it withe some vice grips, since it had lain on the garage floor next to some salt-laden tires through a couple of winters, but it eventually freed up and I was able to enjoy the luxury of an awning on the truck for the first time. The Swift's set-up is easy and takes about 2 minutes, even on our sharply sloping driveway.
LB8KUD.jpg

I used the brackets that came with the Swift and slightly reworked the Front Runner Quick Release Awning Bracket kit for maximal clearance. It mounts solid, yet comes off easily when I don't need the awning on the truck.

And it fits, just barely, through a 6'6" garage door opening.

How? It's rolling on 33s, BFG KM3 Mud Terrains. The suspension is the near stock height OME 861/862, with rear Air Lifts. The Slimline II rack is the secret here beyond that.

To limit the possibility of snagging on the rack, I also fabbed up some limb risers.
v5Rdcj.jpg

Inside the truck, I added the Front Runner Footwell Water Tank and relocated some things to fit it in the sleeper conversion I built in there. Will add pics of all these mods here soon.

Surprised you can fit in at all.

I also have a Slimline II, on Gamiviti legs adjusted as low as can go; just under 6.5" from the gutters to top of rack frame.
Dobinson 2" lift springs and 285/75R16's
I have about 6'10" from the garage floor to door opening. Like you my garage is on a slight uphill.

I can just fit in forwards, but not reverse. Tried that and scraped the opening trim. My Slimline is oversized however, as it is the FJ60 model, so slightly wider and longer, so more junk in the trunk. My wife and kids have since filled that side of the garage with misc stuff so can't get in there anyways. Next time I try I'll air down the tires first and see if that helps

Surprised you can fit in at all.

I also have a Slimline II, on Gamiviti legs adjusted as low as can go; just under 6.5" from the gutters to top of rack frame.
Dobinson 2" lift springs and 285/75R16's
I have about 6'10" from the garage floor to door opening. Like you my garage is on a slight uphill.

I can just fit in forwards, but not reverse. Tried that and scraped the opening trim. My Slimline is oversized however, as it is the FJ60 model, so slightly wider and longer, so more junk in the trunk. My wife and kids have since filled that side of the garage with misc stuff so can't get in there anyways. Next time I try I'll air down the tires first and see if that helps

Lots of folks here want more than stock lift, so your notes will give them some hope of fitting into their tight spaces. Mine is just too low for that. But it's good to document what people have succeeded within fitting into tight spaces. Thanks for your observations!

I did fit in without filling it, but once the new water tank was filled it gained me maybe another 1/4" of clearance.

Here's a few more pics and thoughts about keeping things low with the Slimline II rack. Tie downs besides just looping through the rack itself are handy and more secure.
V1xp9I.jpg

Front Runner offers hardened loops that slide into the slot in the rack, as well as fitting through some downward facing holes in the perimeter of the rack. This allowed me to install the tie downs all facing down, because they just wouldn't fit through the door otherwise.
2Fa0mF.jpg

Keeping things low can also mean a low center of gravity. Front Runner offers an easy to install water tank holding a little over 10 gallons. There are taps on both sides, because the tank has a transmission jhump molded in (not much needed on an 80).
RJEEGt.jpg

I added brass cut-off valves for more peace of mind about the water supply. The inlet cap is on one side only, so I chose the driver side install. The header flap on the sleep conversion forms a door over the shelf created by the , so I put our front inverter there.
qLvOwF.jpg

When we are rteady to go, we have things packed away in boxes that fit the rack. Takes 15 minutes to get things up there and another 15 to strap it all down.
CJBL82.jpg

The gas bottle holder was placed at the rear of the rack. In case I forget it'll make it the truck exactly 8' tall, it will hopefully peel right off *in case of emergency*
FSZgf3.jpg

BTW the gray pack out boxes are Coho boxes, $50 from Costco. They not quite as nice as the Yeti version, but are a whole lot cheaper. They fit the 80 rack perfectly, two across then one lengthwise.

FPHRUS.jpg

Here's some more kit updates that the new Front Runner rack and the hand me down awning brought about. We previously used a 8x10 awning that went over the tailgate.
bvfTBE.jpg

8x10 is a rather oddball size, apparently brought about by the enforcement of 8' wide spots at one of the big university's (Iowa?) tailgates at football games. No longer available AFAIK, it worked well by keeping the interface between it and the 80 fairly small making it easier to heat. But awnings are big, clunky affairs and while not to involved to set up aren't particularly quick to set up.

Kelty is making a Backroads Shelter now that sets up fast and takes up less than half the space and weight of the old school awning.
QKTx2P.jpg

It sets up fast because the side panels are built in rather than needing to be set up once the awning is up. They can be staked out in various positions to cover up or to open up for more ventilation. There are several options for attaching to the vehicle and the orange straps tuck away in their own storage pockets. There is a nice big door/window arrangement at the rear.
Ua6roH.jpg

It is somewhat smaller than the 8x10, but not a big deal because of the space available under the side awning now. We repurposed one of the old awning's side panels to enclose that area
and it goes up in a jiffy, too.
6O0pft.jpg

The one disadvantage is that once the awning goes up, you can't drive away and leave it at camp, something which was a bit of a PITA to do anyway, so we'll not miss that much. However, the new side curtain arrangement does allow full access to both side doors.
hp5zsa.jpg

It hooks up pronto using a similar arrangement to the rear awning.
8NlVGk.jpg

To close the door opening we've got one of the smallest size Kelty Noah's Tarp we can throw over it. The side curtain of the Backroads Shelter can also be used to close most of that opening up.

In addition to the FR Footwell Tank, we also picked up a FR/Dometic Go 2.9 gallon water jug and faucet, which sets easily in the old space I had for a 5 gallon jug next to the fridge slide.
2g8Vpc.jpg

The size/weight of it makes it much easier to handle than the 5 gallon jugs. The strap on it is just the right length to carabiner to one of the D-rings. It's big party trick is the rechargeable faucet that dispenses water at the touch of a button. There's a light that comes on to illuminate things, plus it shuts off automatically after a liter to avoid waste. Here it is set up on our Cosco folding 4' table.
pwZbaa.jpg

You get two metal pucks that the magnets on the faucet can attach to. The other one I installed on top of the jug.
iS5CJR.jpg

While leaving the M101 CDN at home forces some rethinking on camping arrangements, we still have all the capability it provided in a more economical package.

Last edited:
The one disadvantage is that once the awning goes up, you can't drive away and leave it at camp, something which was a bit of a PITA to do anyway, so we'll not miss that much. However, the new side curtain arrangement does allow full access to both side doors.
If the Kelty doesn't work out and you go back to the ez-up, they offer a camp cube attachment(only 10x10). If is bulky but light and like you mentioned, you can leave gear back at camp. It also has a floor built in it. You can dock the hatch tent to it if you have a local shop sew in a zipper. The wifey loves it but I usually leave it home unless we do longer high altitude stays. Honestly I don't see it taking much longer than the Kelty but it is more bulk in the rear. I sleep in the Cruiser but you can do cots in it over a tent.

1694746392664.png

If the Kelty doesn't work out and you go back to the ez-up, they offer a camp cube attachment(only 10x10). If is bulky but light and like you mentioned, you can leave gear back at camp. It also has a floor built in it. You can dock the hatch tent to it if you have a local shop sew in a zipper. The wifey loves it but I usually leave it home unless we do longer high altitude stays. Honestly I don't see it taking much longer than the Kelty but it is more bulk in the rear. I sleep in the Cruiser but you can do cots in it over a tent.
Interesting. Didn't know EZ-Up offered such an item. Our 8x10 is a Quest IIRC. As you can see by the panel I used under the side awning, it goes halfway around, instead of being for just one side at a time like most nowadays. I assume the Camp Cube is more like a full four sides (plus floor), with the awning providing the roof?

The way we rigged the awning/truck interface was thus always a bit hit or miss with the half-panels. It worked better once we got their window end panel, which allowed for extra length (half the end width or ~4') at the truck end.

I've only done the test set-up as pictured in our drive, but the Kelty was very intuitive, with the side panels having multiple ways to rig them at the truck end of things. It took maybe 10 minutes the first time, so gonna be hard to beat on time.

We already have a panel that goes under the back of the truck, which is really needed anywhere with mosquitoes that are hungry. The floor in the Camp Cube sounds tempting, though. We've managed without one but now have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet we can throw down, but it's a little bulky to carry without the trailer. When you need it most, its ends up wet and a bit muddy. So that's why the floorless Kelty Backroads isn't too discouraging, plus we also have a 10x10 Coleman tent if we really get into something where a floor would be good. Otherwise, we sleep in the back of the truck as it has a sleeper/drawer system, which gets us well off the ground without the need to get up into a rooftop. Only drawback is with the tailgate down, it's not bear-proof:bear::slap:

I assume the Camp Cube is more like a full four sides (plus floor), with the awning providing the roof?
It is and also has it's own roof with a 3'x3'ish screened opening at the top to vent. It just needs the 10' x 10' EZ-up to support. So your looking at a fully sealed two part system(plus hatch tent) but its fairly cheap for what you get and tall so you can stand up still and the top sits just over your hatch. Then I think it cost me $40 to cut in a zipper around one window to dock, zip it up to seal everything inside if you leave the site for a while.
It works well to throw a space heater in the middle at night and pumps heat in the cab yet vents exhaust out.
Just thought it was kind of funny, it is similar to what you had.

I like to go light with only the hatch tent and actually have a Swift awning also, Love that thing, I just wish they have single wind screens, they have terrible add on options so I might have a coupe made. That's a nice score if you got it for free.
My Safari hatch tent is going on 20 years old lol, I'm looking to build one out of extrusion/ canvas but want to keep it small and quick. That Kelty might be a good solution to attach to the back of it when needed for a quick change or partial coverage outside the sleeping area. The storage back is a nice size, just wish it came with a partial floor like a few of their other models.

Interesting. The only real drawback to an awning set-up is that those sides tend to catch a lot of wind. There are a LOT of choices now if you search "tailgate tent." Even REI has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom