Front Runner Tall or Bowfin Roof Rack?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you who have used both, can you please share the advantages/disadvantages of each? The 80 I purchased recently came with the Front Runner (already mounted), however the previous owner had purchased the Bowfin and not yet installed (still in package), which I purchased as I had hear good things about it. Been reading about both but couldn't find a comparison post.

My thoughts on the Front Runner:
1) Lots of support for add-on bracketing.
2) Has the ability to store a table under the roof rack between roof rack and roof of vehicle (an option I don't think I'll ever purchase).
3) Excellent customer service.
4) The feet/stand-offs are individual as opposed to the Bowfin design, where the vertical supports sit on the whole length of the gutter. For those of you that have the Bowfin, does this cause dirt/debris/water to get stuck there or in the rubber "u" channel they provide to install between the vertical support and the gutter?
5) Seems plenty strong as I did climb up on it and walk around to see how sturdy it was.

My thoughts on the Bowfin (from pictures and what I have read):
1) Lower/sleeker look.
2) Weight of the rack and everything mounted on it is lower, making the whole truck less top heavy when the roof rack is being used
3) Doesn't seem to have many bracketing options (compared to the Front Runner). Even the ones I saw on the website are out-of-stock. Items I may want to mount on this (for which Front Runner has solutions) include Maxtrax, 5-gallon jerry cans, high-lift jack, water containers etc. Can other brackets (for example from Front Runner, ARB, Prinsu, etc.) be used, or does everyone try to make their brackets proprietary, so that it's harder to adapt/mount to a competitors rack?
4) A few threads where I did read about it, owners were commenting on how stout it is, and no one seemed to have any complaints about it.

My truck did not have the gutter molding when I purchased it, and I have already bought these (not installed yet) as it gives a good finish to that area. Can both roof racks be mounted with the gutter molding in place? Appreciate any feedback.

Have Bowfin, like it, would buy again. Haven't owned Front Runner but previous experience for me with similar design is taller square edged racks tend to make wind noise. If it has a wind deflector option get it. Bowfin comes with 1. To add brackets and ty downs you just need to get the 1/4 " T slot inserts for the track 80/20.net they have all kinds of options for attaching stuff. Haven't had any problem with build up in gutters. Good luck :flipoff2:

Have Bowfin, like it, would buy again. Haven't owned Front Runner but previous experience for me with similar design is taller square edged racks tend to make wind noise. If it has a wind deflector option get it. Bowfin comes with 1. To add brackets and ty downs you just need to get the 1/4 " T slot inserts for the track 80/20.net they have all kinds of options for attaching stuff. Haven't had any problem with build up in gutters. Good luck :flipoff2:

Appreciate the feedback on the Bowfin! The Front Runner was making wind noise on the highway (speeds above 40-50 mph), however that's because it does not have a wind deflector. If I end up keeping that one, I would be getting a wind deflector for it.

I'll jump in. I have a Front Runner and love it. Been on my 80 for about 3 years now. I've had lots of the FR accessories and used them with limited success. My thing about the front runner is that when it gets dinged up on trees or rocks, it is relatively easy to either fix or replace the damaged part(s). I don't have experience with the Bowfin.

3) Doesn't seem to have many bracketing options (compared to the Front Runner). Even the ones I saw on the website are out-of-stock. Items I may want to mount on this (for which Front Runner has solutions) include Maxtrax, 5-gallon jerry cans, high-lift jack, water containers etc. Can other brackets (for example from Front Runner, ARB, Prinsu, etc.) be used, or does everyone try to make their brackets proprietary, so that it's harder to adapt/mount to a competitors rack?
I have the Bowfin and love it. I wouldn't get hung up on this. If anything with Front runner using its own slots, your more limited to using their mounts with their rack. I don't know if this is the same gap as the Bowfin or not though. I also don't like the look of the Front Runner personally.

The great advantage to the Bowfin as already mentioned is they use the standard 1/4 aluminum extrusion as just about every other make out there. The big one that comes to mind is Prinsu/ CBI (also fast shipping) and probably dozens of others, I have used all kinds of their mounts on it. Actually, I have made up even more of my own mounting and brackets just searching for 10 series extrusion parts. Beware 8020 has a high markup and I would search before pulling the trigger there if you do. I think McMaster is the same but always ships fast. Either way tons of options, don't just get hung up on Bowfin accessories, Also make sure you search the correct extrusion if making your own mounts. Many series out there and easy to get the wrong one.

As far as the gutter mount, pretty sure it doesn't matter either way. The guy that makes them is on here, just ask him.

Do y’all ask for the dynamic and static load rating on these or no care? 🤷🏻

I'll jump in. I have a Front Runner and love it. Been on my 80 for about 3 years now. I've had lots of the FR accessories and used them with limited success. My thing about the front runner is that when it gets dinged up on trees or rocks, it is relatively easy to either fix or replace the damaged part(s). I don't have experience with the Bowfin.
Appreciate the insights, however curious about your comment about having limited success using some of their accessories?

I have the Bowfin and love it. I wouldn't get hung up on this. If anything with Front runner using its own slots, your more limited to using their mounts with their rack. I don't know if this is the same gap as the Bowfin or not though. I also don't like the look of the Front Runner personally.

The great advantage to the Bowfin as already mentioned is they use the standard 1/4 aluminum extrusion as just about every other make out there. The big one that comes to mind is Prinsu/ CBI (also fast shipping) and probably dozens of others, I have used all kinds of their mounts on it. Actually, I have made up even more of my own mounting and brackets just searching for 10 series extrusion parts. Beware 8020 has a high markup and I would search before pulling the trigger there if you do. I think McMaster is the same but always ships fast. Either way tons of options, don't just get hung up on Bowfin accessories, Also make sure you search the correct extrusion if making your own mounts. Many series out there and easy to get the wrong one.

As far as the gutter mount, pretty sure it doesn't matter either way. The guy that makes them is on here, just ask him.
The look is dependent on the user I guess. I personally think the FR looks more stout and matches the lines of the 80 more while the Bowfin looks more sleek and low profile, so to each their own. Since I have both, think I will build the bowfin and see how it compares side-by-side to the FR.
Do y’all ask for the dynamic and static load rating on these or no care? 🤷🏻
Excellent question... I checked both sites, and these numbers aren't included. Would anyone happen to know what these numbers are?

Appreciate the insights, however curious about your comment about having limited success using some of their accessories?

I think I just do not like having things mounted on top. The offroading that I do often includes obstacles where height can be an issue. My FR rack basically protects my lid and holds an awning. Also helps occasionally when I need to use it like a pick up truck.

Who cares? Either of these racks will likely withstand anything that 80 series owners will put them through.
Haha, that's too funny... I can't disagree!

I have a Bowfin on my 60 Bowfin rack on 60 series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bowfin-rack-on-60-series.1285920/ and when the time comes will run one on the 80. I like the low profile, stoutness, functionality, and it's quiet and hasn't impacted fuel mileage.

Having little to no wind noise and not impacting fuel mileage are definite factors. Having done a 1000+ mile trip with the FR, it was very noisy on the highway, but then again I didn't have the wind deflector on it, so it's probably not a fair assessment. However, as it sits a little taller, I'm assuming it will be louder than the Bowfin.

Have the bowfin and love it. I wanted to use the FR surf rack. The FR bars are roughly three inch bars with a center slot. To make it work I added a couple of three inch 80/20 bars which have the slot in the middle. Worked a great for the FR surf rack and I expect that it would work for many of the other accessories also adds some extra beef to the rack.

IMG_0566.jpeg

BOWFIN all the way!! Can’t comment on the other. Lots of versatility on the Bowfin and to me it looks like a perfect fit on the 80. If there’s something in particular you’re looking for with adaptability, I’d reach out to Pat directly and I’m sure he’d have helpful advice (@dogfishlake)…

Don't know about the Front Runner but the Bowfin has the option of installing a roller on the rear of the rack. I've loaded canoes on racks over a few decades and my first thought about the roller was, who needs a roller? If you go with the Bowfin add the roller because it is a huge improvement for loading long items from the rear. Canoes, kayaks, plywood, lumber, just zip it right onto the rack instead of struggling to push it against the friction.

The Front Runner was making wind noise on the highway (speeds above 40-50 mph), however that's because it does not have a wind deflector. If I end up keeping that one, I would be getting a wind deflector for it.
Sounds like your FR has been on there for awhile, but the wind deflector is now standard on it. Doesn't totally hush it, but does substantially cut the noise so it'll not be a bother.

I currently have the Bowfin rack installed on my 80, and I must admit, I'm not a fan of it. While the rack has an appealing appearance and a sleek, low-profile design, its drawbacks outweigh its benefits. I constantly find it frustrating to have to custom fabricate mounts whenever I want to attach something to the rack.

In contrast, I have a Front Runner rack on another vehicle, and I find it to be a much more satisfying option. Considering my dissatisfaction with the Bowfin rack, I'm seriously contemplating replacing it with either a Front Runner or a Delta rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom