Low mileage '91 vs. rebuild '97? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted about something similar before, sorry about all the questions.

Would you rather... a 1991 with the 4.0l straight 6, 180k miles, good condition or 1997 4.5L straight six with 265k that has had a lower engine rebuild, trans rebuild, new driveshaft, head gasket replacement, all new fluids, new cooling system - within the last 40k mi. Will also say the 97 is an LX470 with a much nicer interior and new seats, headliner, etc. Owner put a lot of work into it. Just nervous about the # of miles on that sucker.

Both within the same price range (7-9k, room to negotiate). Both have service records and have been well maintained. That seems like a lot of miles on the 97 but have read the 4.0 is a bit of a dog.

Thoughts? Which would YOU take?

Whichever one you can negotiate the lowest price. 265K on a '97 isn't all that bad and it has had plenty of work done that should, if done right, not give you any troubles for awhile and is OBDII. The '91 shouldn't give you any issues if it was decently taken care of. Is maintenance history available on both? What do you want to do with the truck? How does the undercarriage look on both?

97 in a heartbeat.

Basically service records for only the 97. It was meticulously maintained and feel like based on that the rebuild was done right.

no idea about undercarriages. Can request pics but both areTN cars with no surface rust.

I’d do a mix of DD and adventure. We have a comfortable care. I know the ride will be rough with solid axles, I’ve owned every Jeep Wrangler since CJ7. Cant be worse than a YJ it TJ. But the 97 has a much nicer interior. The owner put in remote start. New speakers. Head unit. Redid seats.
Main hang up was the mileage.

Basically service records for only the 97. It was meticulously maintained and feel like based on that the rebuild was done right.

no idea about undercarriages. Can request pics but both areTN cars with no surface rust.

I’d do a mix of DD and adventure. We have a comfortable care. I know the ride will be rough with solid axles, I’ve owned every Jeep Wrangler since CJ7. Cant be worse than a YJ it TJ. But the 97 has a much nicer interior. The owner put in remote start. New speakers. Head unit. Redid seats.
Main hang up was the mileage.
My DD is a 96 and has 302K on it now. HG was done at 145K.

With the 97 you can eventually install a turbo kit on it because it has OBD2. The 91 is a slow horse with more discontinued parts.

My sons 3F carby manual 80 goes great. If my FJ62 had gone that well I wouldn't have skipped the 3F in an 80 and gone the 4500. 3F for reliabilty wins for me.

i would always pick the 1Fz over the 3FE but i really, really, REALLY hate the LX platform so that would push me back to........ hold onto my money and look for another truck.

1fz will always win with me. I like to keep up with traffic and occasionally pull a camper. Upgradable (turbo or SC), newer, more parts availability.

265k is nothing to worry about. They'll go well past 400k if reasonably maintained. If you really have qualms with the mileage, then just wait for the next one to come along, but if it's as nice as described, I personally wouldn't let the mileage bother me.

Hi, Need more information on 1991.Our 1991 just turned 405,000 miles. Same engine and transmission . Mike

I think a lot of it would depend on where or who rebuilt the lower end and did all the work on the 97. I would also be looking at rust. I just replaced my 91 with a 97. The 97 has all aftermarket stainless exhaust including headers, that being said it does not seem much faster than the 91. The 97 actually gets worse mpg's than my 91. There is a freeway onramp that is uphill and the 91 would usually only make it to 62 by the time I had to merge, the 97 makes it all the way to 64..... It sure seems like a lot of 1fz's either get rebuilt or replaced in the low 200,000 mile mark.

91 - 270,000 miles 12-15 mpg's
97 - 111,000 miles and 12.7 -? mpg's
Both have 4:88's with the same wheels and tires. The 97 has part time 4wd.

I've had 3FE for 17 years in FJ62 and love it. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the '97 given that choice. Sounds like it was a real good deal, no wonder it went fast.

I’m leery of sub 200K mile 80 series cruisers. What’s wrong with it, why didn’t they drive the crap out of it?

Short trips and sitting seems to cause more damage on cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom