Builds Love Bug, the Land Cruiser and me... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took Love Bug to karate in the Cruiser today. I was surprised as it started without a hitch @23*f outside! Pretty happy with that. She had inquired as to all of the knobs on the dash.. There were two that I had no idea what they do or are supposed to do. The flashers are in-op so there must be a separate flasher relay as the blinkers do work.

We'd appreciate any help you can give.

dash (Medium).jpg

I used to tell my kids that the red knob was the emergency eject knob and never to touch it. My daughter now 35 still laughs about and says how she believed me and was scared to even look at it. The little black knob is the interior light the other V knob is the dash vent.
JP

Thanks @mrboatman. Ejection seat... I love it.
This rig has a Rightlocker in it... I do not like it in snow or dirt. Loud engagement and can feel it while driving (on-off throttle) I think it is coming out... Not going to seriously wheel this one so I don't see its usefulness.

Love the Cruiser!
These memories will stick with your daughter forever. Make as many as you can while she is at this age.
If you need any electrical parts, wire/connectors and such, hit my web site in my sig line. I carry pretty much everything for the older trucks.

Thanks @Coolerman, will do and I love that you have the goods! I've made and repaired wiring harnesses back in my naval aviation days but have zero desire to do a waxed thread, laced wiring loom again... lol.
I have several wires that go "nowhere" that I'd like to clean up at some point. I have some gremlins for sure, as the right turn signal seems to work "better" after the engine has warmed up a bit, flashers don't work at all, and the reverse switch was moved to a toggle to the dash (left side).
The daughter being 10, loves this thing and wants to ride around all the time so I need to do some work to make it a bit "safer". I want to keep this rig running and only have it "down" for a day or two at a time, if possible.
Top 3 items on my list to get sorted are:
1. 3 point seat belts front and rear*
2. Dual circuit brakes, will likely leave drum for now
3. *Rear forward facing seat w/ 3 point seat belts
Not sure what order I'll get those done in. I've seen 2 different style brake M/C adapters (can't remember where), one was machined 3 to 4 hole that looked slick, the other was more of a pipe/tube; not aesthetically pleasing but if it's functional, would be a second choice. I know the challenges with the brakes are the 9mm/10mm conversion so that is likely a multi-day job for me.

I have the same year of truck that you do. If you need anything let me know. Those small reflectors on the sides were only offered for 8 months in our year and are hard to come by so make sure to be nice to them. The rear lights are a common LED upgrade to our old round rear lights. I am pretty sure there are two flashers one should be under your glove box mounted the firewall if I remember correctly. The other should be close by. If you need any pictures or anything I have many of stock to what I did to it now. Our old rigs are getting rarer and rarer, makes me wish I hadn't gone about cutting and fabing mine into a rock crawler but I started before the internet was invented haha. Grew up in Evergreen Colorado and having a cruiser was a way of life. Keep it in the family as long as you can. I have had mine for 17 years and counting.

The drive through UT, ID and OR up to WA was uneventful and quite nice, just long. Made a pitstop at a quilt store in Boise that was well stocked and offered a little respite for the wife. Friday evening we got to visit with my cousin for dinner. We only met for the first time 4 years ago. We’ve been in touch for 19 though. It was a wonderful visit and the kids (hers & mine) got to swim early the next morning (24 hour pool!). Another good sleep and breakfast at a Best Western hotel and I’m hooked on the brand!

A light rain began as we were packing up with a chill in the air that Fall brings. We turned back south to retrace our path from the day before. Blowing snow through Mecham, OR but only rain once within a stone’s throw from La Grande.

I met up with the PO and crawled about the 40 for a while. Poking my head in the wheel wells with a flashlight and I was pleasantly surprised to find the rear sill and quarters without rot. Floors were in order and even the roof gutter was in good condition. The unmistakable smell of an old vehicle hanging in the air, the PO gave a quick flip of the starter and the engine came to life. Ticking away as it warmed, the automatic choke came off and the engine settled into a comfortable idle. Getting in and out will be a learning curve for my short stature but it will be managed. With the engine purring right along, the ride isn’t as smooth as the Tundra, but not nearly as bad as expected. I’m sold, smitten and giddy as a schoolgirl inside. Keep the game face up just until proper payment and paperwork are filled out…

With the 40 loaded up we make our way our way southeast with an extra 4000 lbs, but the mpg is the same or better? Really? Must have been fighting a headwind on the way out. Tundra was doing quite well with the extra weight behind it.
View attachment 2114208

View attachment 2114210

View attachment 2114209
Your Cruiser looks just like mine!!. My Daughters ( I have 3) call her Sandy. May you and your Mini-Me have countless hours of fun. Welcome to the family!!

Your Cruiser looks just like mine!!. My Daughters ( I have 3) call her Sandy. May you and your Mini-Me have countless hours of fun. Welcome to the family!!

The difference between the two brake adapters is that the thin one is for a MC swap only. The one wit the tube is for a brake booster to be added as well.

I run the non boosted version on my 64,65,68 and ‘69.

I stock both, as well as the MCs

The difference between the two brake adapters is that the thin one is for a MC swap only. The one wit the tube is for a brake booster to be added as well.

I run the non boosted version on my 64,65,68 and ‘69.

I stock both, as well as the MCs
Thanks Mark, I'm interested how you routed the rear and if you changed all of the brake lines. I'll call you next week.
I only have experience with bending 1/4" stainless, not the small diameter brake lines, but willing to give it a go. This and better seat belts top my list.

Today was a fantastic learning experience for the Love Bug. We got to play 2 rounds of "What's that smell?" No, we're not talking about Dad's unholy flatulence...
Round one: As we pulled out of the neighborhood, on the way to school, the 40 chugged, sputtered and tried to die. I kept it going but there was an odor she picked up on. When she asked "What's that smell?" I told her "antifreeze/coolant" I got to explain what it was and why it's important.
Round two: I had only thrown a couple gallons in the 40 since bringing it to Colorado. We stopped in for gas and I filled it up. Just as I turned down the road, there was another familiar smell. The "ever-astute" Love Bug asked again "What's THAT smell?" "That would be gas and that's not good, I'll check it out when I get home".
I found there are 2 leaks. One in the lower 1/4 of the radiator and the fuel is coming from where the neck meets the tank; it was dry from the rubber hose.
Looks like we have some work to do.

20191118_103103 (Small).jpg

20191114_162926 (Small).jpg

When she learns to drive it, you'll get to explore the smell of burned clutch one or twice. :)
Someday you might also get to experience the smell of gear oil and the way it tends to stick to skin even after thorough washing! I'm reminded of all the "learning opportunities" I had growing up on the family farm. I spent a lot of time with my dad fixing equipment in inconvenient places. Some of the best times of my childhood.

After a bunch o reading, we decided to go the "Seal All" route. Yesterday offered us a rare window of wonderful weather for NoCO... 70*f!
So the Love Bug and I decided it was time we should be able to put more than 1/4 tank of gas in and not be choked out by the fumes. As I sanded the area of concern, it appears there had been a prior lead repair to the tank. I finished sanding and cleaning and asked LB to grab the tube of "Seal All" off of my bench. She had the package open when she got to me and asked "how do you open the end, it looks like metal?" I told her to look at the top of the cap and she got to pierce the tube. I liberally applied it to where I had sanded. This morning we jumped in the LC and wanted to try out our handy work. I put $30 of fuel in (3/4 tank) and drove her to school with no-zero-nada smell of gas in the cab! We'll paint it on another warm day as we only hit 21*f today...

Pic:
20200203_153957 (Small).jpg

So I was looking into the radiator leak today. I thought there was an issue with the cap as it was 7 lbs and most I had seen were 13 lbs. I replaced it and the leak got worse. I topped off the rad started it and decided to just squeeze the top hose... water squirted out in the middle of top tank... Love Bug was surprised... Nearest rad shop is 35 miles and wants $360 to re-core.

Gratuitous pic...

20200520_130042_001 (Small).jpg

Going to need the missing part to hold the window in place... can't find the nomenclature to effectively look for one... need the knob/screw too if anyone has an extra they'd like to part with.

20200518_162542 (Small).jpg

I think you need a U Dash Bracket pn:172-16A-U, Dash Knob pn: 172-01, and a Dash Knob Sleeve pn:172-02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom