Builds Love Bug, the Land Cruiser and me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should have had her skip... what type of dad are you?

She could be helping you take pictures right now :)
She missed Monday already with the trip... So no more days off, unless we're going camping or fishing... 🏕🎣

More of the 40 in its new environment...

20191023_094447 (Medium).jpg

20191023_094504 (Medium).jpg

20191023_094514 (Medium).jpg

While not a complete abomination, the rear LED tail lights are functional but only barely; about half of the LEDs are out. I would like to take this back to "more stock" and believe I need the "small" sized tail light assembly and bracket (4" trim ring sound right?)

20191023_094625 (Medium).jpg

Truly the only gripe I have is the sort of functional instrument cluster. Everything lights up and moves, but with little accuracy... This s*** belongs in an SBC conversion...

20191023_094747 (Medium).jpg

did a quick double check ... and yes its the larger... see here:

While not a complete abomination, the rear LED tail lights are functional but only barely; about half of the LEDs are out. I would like to take this back to "more stock" and believe I need the "small" sized tail light assembly and bracket (4" trim ring sound right?)

View attachment 2114499

Truly the only gripe I have is the sort of functional instrument cluster. Everything lights up and moves, but with little accuracy... This s*** belongs in an SBC conversion...

View attachment 2114503

Rig looks really solid. I few hours of cleanup with make it look amazing.

The factory dash worked with little accuracy as well. I prefer the looks of the factory gauges over this setup. You can find an old gauge setup and fix the gauges or go newer with Dakota Digital for the FJ40's.

did a quick double check ... and yes its the larger... see here:
You kind Sir are AWESOME! I appreciate the help.
The larger assembly is still available from Toyota! I just need the PN for the brackets L & R

Looks like you found a nice rig. Very cool your daughter loves the vintage rig. This commercial sorta nails it.
I bet the roll cage was in the way of the dash pad. You could get a pad from fj40dash.com and trim the ends to fit between the cage. Looks like the fuse cover is missing. Used covers pop up from time to time in classifieds and ebay.

Looks like you found a nice rig. Very cool your daughter loves the vintage rig. This commercial sorta nails it.
I bet the roll cage was in the way of the dash pad. You could get a pad from fj40dash.com and trim the ends to fit between the cage. Looks like the fuse cover is missing. Used covers pop up from time to time in classifieds and ebay.
Yeah the roll bar gets in the way of turning the key, getting in and out... etc...lol. I'll keep an eye out for the fuse cover, thanks!

@Living in the Past would know for sure... i always thought it to be 68' and earlier was the small... 69' model was larger

I see I posted the wrong date on the the link you linked. All of the 68 model had the mid size tail lights. Right off the top of my head can think of four things that changed early in the 69 model that I do not have micro-fiche or parts books to date.

1 the change in hub caps
2 change in pads on the hood for the windshield
3 turn signal from round to rectangular
4 size of tail lights.

For the tail light just the location of the mounting hole on the rear frame member will tell you which one it suppose to have. Vertical from each other mid size tail lights. Offset from each other the later large tail lights.

View attachment 2114499

View attachment 2114503
My 74 with SBC doesnt even have that, haha

With all of the paperworkd done and the government penance paid, I took the Cruiser out for its first real shake down. I had a meeting at the gun club and wanted to see how it handled at speed. Drove 55mph most of the way there, it was a bit noisy, with wind and such, but hummed along without complaint. On the way home, I was feeling a bit daring and opened the throttle a bit more. 62mph was registered on my satellite speedometer with pedal to spare. I didn't feel a need to flog it, so 55 "sounded" better (with ask the other noise going on) to me. When I got home I grabbed my temp gun and shot the top of the radiator and the thermostat housing. The highest temp I could find was 181°f. Ambient air temp was right at 38°f. Pretty happy, all things considered.

During bedtime stories, the daughter decided the interim name of our rig would be Green Machine. She likes it because it rhymes., but I think it will stick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom