Builds Louie - 1973 FJ40 - A OEM work in Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The "Beast" is now official. Passed the safety inspection yesterday and went on the first Ice Cream run tonight.

IMG_0011.jpg

I'm truly amazed at the work the MUD members do on their FJ40s. Some true artists out there. I appreciate the community and their willingness to help. I'm not planning to do a build thread however I will use this post to track upgrades/repairs and changes to Louie. That way the kids will be able to see where their inheritance has gone. :)
I do have some projects/repairs planned for the winter.
-Leak Repairs (likely a loosing battle but going to try a slow them down)
-Headlight Upgrade (Toyota OEM Kit)
-3 Brake Light Installation (Stay Tuned)
-Firewall Grommet Replacements(Keep the gas smell out of the Cab)
-LED instrument light Upgrade
-Floor Mat installation
-PTO Shim Installation
-Hub Refurbishment
-OEM Part Upgrades/Replacements
-leaf spring refurbishment (Maybe)
-Speedometer Cable Cleaning (Needle jumps)

Finally got around to building the one of the art pieces for the workshop/garage. I used a motion sensing light switch so that the lights turn on when I enter the shop.

Wall Bib.jpg

Cup Holder
Project Tracking.

Wanted to have cup holders in Louie and knew about the 3d print options. The 3D print ones have more versatility, however I decided to use a failed wood working project to make one. The holder is made out of end grain oak and purpleheart wood. It is removable and I can store some small items below it.

Cupholder 2.jpg
Cupholder 3.jpg
Cupholder 1.jpg

The parts search continues. I found a OEM long jump seat seatbelt and the new glove box door complete with the OEM wire.

Just a reminder when you are looking for parts at shops and vendors ask lots of questions. I was sharing pictures of Louie and talking about the items I was still looking for. I asked about a jerry-can holder and they had a Toyota NOS OEM Jerry Can holder and Jerry Can but it was way more I was willing to spend. I have been looking for a Con-Ferr jerry can holder so I can mount one of my Dad's old jerry cans on Louie. I managed to find a NOS Crown Automotive jerry can holder on the weekend which the shop was more than happy to sell. Looks exactly the same as a Con-Ferr. Now I just need to find a spare tire holder or make one so I can mount it. Another project to add to the winter project list.

Jerry 2.jpg

Jerry 1.jpg

Last edited:
Parts ordered from @ToyotaMatt arrived in the mail today with a couple extra goodies. Thanks Matt.

These will be added to the winter project list. One learning for any Canadian MUD members ordering parts from the States. Make sure you get the shipper to use HS Tariff code 9966.00.00. HS Code 9966.00.00 allows for the duty free importing of antique car parts. I found this link that explains to the HS code very well HS Code Description

Keys.jpg

Such a beautiful rig! Wonderful find!! Something tells me that @EmanC may have the lens you're looking for but I can't be certain. Including him here because he also has an absolutely beautiful early 40.

You may want to read this article before adding zinc to your engine oil. MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA - https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ The complete additive package for engine oil is a fine balance created by oil engineers, who incidentally also reccomend against adding additives to their oil. Adding ZDDP or Moly to engine oil is not proven to reduce wear, improve longevity, reduce temperatures or increase compression.

A high ranking engine oil with a quality filter being replaced at regular intervals is all that's needed.

Such a beautiful rig! Wonderful find!! Something tells me that @EmanC may have the lens you're looking for but I can't be certain. Including him here because he also has an absolutely beautiful early 40.

You may want to read this article before adding zinc to your engine oil. MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA - https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ The complete additive package for engine oil is a fine balance created by oil engineers, who incidentally also reccomend against adding additives to their oil. Adding ZDDP or Moly to engine oil is not proven to reduce wear, improve longevity, reduce temperatures or increase compression.

A high ranking engine oil with a quality filter being replaced at regular intervals is all that's needed.
Thanks. I feel very fortunate to have found a rig that is for the most part is original sheet metal and very little rust. If I knew I could complete a frame off like you completed in 2.5 months, I might be tempted. I will drive it for another season and then decide. I will likely follow your lead on the oil choice. Plan is to do a complete oil change this spring so I know what I'm dealing with. The PO was meticulous which I'm also grateful for. No big surprises yet.

Yeah man, you're lucky to have found that rig in that condition. The frame off was actually pretty easy.... just one part at a time. If you think you might do this, it would be wise to get a trans/transfer case rebuilt ahead of time. I wrote out all of the steps ahead of time and put it all in order so I could have bite size pieces to accomplish each day. It made it more fun that way too.

Yeah man, you're lucky to have found that rig in that condition. The frame off was actually pretty easy.... just one part at a time. If you think you might do this, it would be wise to get a trans/transfer case rebuilt ahead of time. I wrote out all of the steps ahead of time and put it all in order so I could have bite size pieces to accomplish each day. It made it more fun that way too.
Good advice. I have a spare 3 speed and transfer case so that is absolutely an option.

I don't want to start a war here or divert the thread, but you will most definitely need a zinc additive.

It has been removed from most modern engine oils today because it causes premature failure of the catalytic converters. Unless the oil explicitly states that it contains zinc or ZDDP, then it has the more modern formula with boron or whatever.

The problem is our engines were designed with the assumption that ZDDP would be in the engine oil and would provide a lubrication coating, especially on the cam and lifter surface. The catalytic converters, if there was one, were able to pass the ash from the combusted zinc with no issues. I agree with @77CruiserDog in that the blending is a fine balance, so try to find a oil that contains ZDDP already.

I suppose if you are only going to be driving on the weekends with not much high-speed or high revs, then go with whatever.

Me, you can pry my ZDDP from my cold dead hands. :p

Edit: I should add an addendum. If you are adding your own ZDDP, you'll want the old school dinosaur oil.

Last edited:
I don't want to start a war here or divert the thread, but you will most definitely need a zinc additive.

It has been removed from most modern engine oils today because it causes premature failure of the catalytic converters. Unless the oil explicitly states that it contains zinc or ZDDP, then it has the more modern formula with boron or whatever.

The problem is our engines were designed with the assumption that ZDDP would be in the engine oil and would provide a lubrication coating, especially on the cam and lifter surface. The catalytic converters, if there was one, were able to pass the ash from the combusted zinc with no issues. I agree with @77CruiserDog in that the blending is a fine balance, so try to find a oil that contains ZDDP already.

I suppose if you are only going to be driving on the weekends with not much high-speed or high revs, then go with whatever.

Me, you can pry my ZDDP from my cold dead hands. :p

Edit: I should add an addendum. If you are adding your own ZDDP, you'll want the old school dinosaur oil.

I will simply say to read that article and do your own research.

I will simply say to read that article and do your own research.

I tried reading most of that blog but wow, the formatting. o_O

I have plenty of first hand experience rebuilding and replacing cams/lifters in flat tappet engines that were run without ZDDP/zinc. No I'm not some shill for big zinc. It is an issue and causes premature wear on flat tappet engines that see a lot of high revs or highway miles. My hands have touched and my eyes have seen the damage first hand.

Like I said, I don't want to start a war and probably shouldn't have even commented. As you said, do your research but when you go out looking, for every "it's a myth" article you'll find another that says "don't run without ZDDP for even a single mile".

The problem is it's not black and white. There's room for nuance. Some old junker engine that you only need for a bit or plan to rebuild, use what ever. A weekend queen, use a high quality whatever. That 1988 dodge van you have with a flat tappet v8 that you plan to drive up the west coast, you better use an oil with ZDDP or you'll regret it.

Now, I'm not some Luddite. I've been out of the "biz" for about 10yrs now. Maybe there's been some development in oil mixes? I doubt it but I like to nerd out on this stuff, so I'm going to jump in head first. Wish me luck!

Thanks to @archie73, I now have the OEM backup light lens and an quality bezel for Louie. I can't say enough about this community and the members. Sending money to random "strangers' and having them follow through is an awesome. It is a great community and I'm proud to be part of it. The housing is a lost cause however I already knew that when I purchased it. The lens and bezel cleaned up very well and they will be installed shortly. Just need to unbury Louie after winter storage.

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Thanks to @archie73, I now have the OEM backup light lens and an quality bezel for Louie. I can't say enough about this community and the members. Sending money to random "strangers' and having them follow through is an awesome. It is a great community and I'm proud to be part of it. The housing is a lost cause however I already knew that when I purchased it. The lens and bezel cleaned up very well and they will be installed shortly. Just need to unbury Louie after winter storage.

View attachment 2972951

View attachment 2972950
I’d put this in the safe ! Lol. Nice job getting a complete one.

View attachment 2972951

View attachment 2972950
Glad it went to some who will care for it. My 73 has gone a different direction, so I was happy pass it on. Can’t wait to see back on a proper rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom