Loud tick after some shenanigans… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MTKID

Mostly Stock
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I’m not one to usually put the beans to it so early in the day, but the circumstances got the better of me today. Instead of simply backing off a snow drift and dropping tire pressure a few more psi from 6 (I’ve had these wheels down to 3psi w/ 37’s in the snow before and it works great), I merely gave it more throttle. For a few seconds I was in manual mode 1st gear, low range, locked and bouncing off the rev limiter like I was invincible. I shifted to second and made progress through the rest of the drift.

But as the RPM’s came back down to idle, there was an obviously new loud tick. The kind that raised both my eyebrows, not just one.

Engine temps were and remained normal, oil pressure remained normal, no check engine lights. Drove it very cautiously home about 80 miles. Rpm’s kept mostly at 1300-1400 and flat roads. When I let off the throttle, tick would slow or stop for a second or two but otherwise it certainly ramped up with RPM in speed but no difference in volume. Nothing felt different in the driving dynamics, but I never gave it much throttle either. Starts up quickly and easily. Oil on the dipstick looks clean, normal and at level.

Tick seems to be coming from the passenger side. Possibly under the valve cover but I’m no mechanic. I only play one on the internet.

Am I likely chasing a timing chain issue? Purchased with 175k miles, currently 225k. Not sure when or if the timing chain and tensioners were done.

Thanks in advance!

Do some reading on 3UR cam phasers. I don’t know a lot but have read of issues occasionally.

A cracked flex plate (flywheel) also ticks like that and is hard to pinpoint location just by listening. There's often an access panel from below to inspect the flex plate with a bore scope (my old 4runner had one of these access panels, not sure if the LC has one).

This is very rare, though, and usually would only happen if you previously had your transmission replaced and everything wasn't lined up properly when tightening the bolts up.

A cracked flex plate (flywheel) also ticks like that and is hard to pinpoint location just by listening. There's often an access panel from below to inspect the flex plate with a bore scope (my old 4runner had one of these access panels, not sure if the LC has one).

This is very rare, though, and usually would only happen if you previously had your transmission replaced and everything wasn't lined up properly when tightening the bolts up.
I will tell you I’m having a hard time pinpointing the location too. I can move around the engine and the location seems to move after I thought I had it located.

I’m going to remove a few things from the top and look for the obvious glitter where there shouldn’t be any.

Sorry to hear!

I could rattle off a few wild guesses but maybe ask a few questions first. Definitely would help isolating where the sound is emanating from but let us know when you can trace it a bit closer. A mechanics stethoscope or listening through a long metal rod/screwdriver may help.

If you can check my understanding:
1) Ticking symptom began after running hard on the rev limiter
2) Tick is then constant except for a few moments letting off the gas
3) Tick cadence follows engine RPM

Clarifying questions:
4) Does it vary with load? Neutral vs cruise vs accelerating or climbing a hill?
5) Ticks any different when starting engine?
6) Is it coming from the head; can you isolate it to one or the other bank?
7) Is it coming from the bottom end; is it more localized around the front of the engine/accessories or transmission bellhousing?
8) What oil do you use?
9) What octane fuel?

Sorry to hear!

I could rattle off a few wild guesses but maybe ask a few questions first. Definitely would help isolating where the sound is emanating from but let us know when you can trace it a bit closer. A mechanics stethoscope or listening through a long metal rod/screwdriver may help.

If you can check my understanding:
1) Ticking symptom began after running hard on the rev limiter
2) Tick is then constant except for a few moments letting off the gas
3) Tick cadence follows engine RPM

Clarifying questions:
4) Does it vary with load? Neutral vs cruise vs accelerating or climbing a hill?
5) Ticks any different when starting engine?
6) Is it coming from the head; can you isolate it to one or the other bank?
7) Is it coming from the bottom end; is it more localized around the front of the engine/accessories or transmission bellhousing?
8) What oil do you use?
9) What octane fuel?
My best guess was that it was coming from the passenger side valve cover. Hope that proves true, and it’s only an issue in the top end. It seemed loudest and from feel, as if it was coming from that area. I’m familiar with those tools but have yet to buy one. And I’ve started tearing into it already, so I won’t be starting it again soon.

1-3) Yes to all three initial statements.

4) It did not seem to vary with load. Although I tried to keep it with minimal throttle position, it didn’t seem to vary when I would take off from a start and gently get up to about 55mph. I pulled over numerous times just to let people pass. I specifically took a path home to avoid the hills and highways, but the only thing I would say is that it definitely didn’t go away while getting up to speed or under similar small load on a few gentle inclines.

5) Ticks are no different at start up compared to driving except they are definitely there at every startup since the incident.

6) Like I mentioned, my best guess is passenger side top end and that’s where I was going to start. My brother-in-law had seen some rocker arm/lifter failure posts online and thought that could be it.

7) Top end. Possibly toward the back of the passenger side, if I had to guess.

8) I typically use a synthetic. Mobil 1 second to last time, but normally a Rotella. 😬 hate to share that. Everyone has their opinions (typically strong) about oil that should or shouldn’t be used. I can say I send a sample to Blackstone every oil change and am happy with their response.

8) Well, I’ve officially switched to using premium now after that last octane thread 🙄 I prefer non-ethanol premium but Costco doesn’t have that (which is where I usually fill up) and today was a fill up at a gas station that I virtually never use, but still premium.

My best guess was that it was coming from the passenger side valve cover. Hope that proves true, and it’s only an issue in the top end. It seemed loudest and from feel, as if it was coming from that area. I’m familiar with those tools but have yet to buy one. And I’ve started tearing into it already, so I won’t be starting it again soon.

1-3) Yes to all three initial statements.

4) It did not seem to vary with load. Although I tried to keep it with minimal throttle position, it didn’t seem to vary when I would take off from a start and gently get up to about 55mph. I pulled over numerous times just to let people pass. I specifically took a path home to avoid the hills and highways, but the only thing I would say is that it definitely didn’t go away while getting up to speed or under similar small load on a few gentle inclines.

5) Ticks are no different at start up compared to driving except they are definitely there at every startup since the incident.

6) Like I mentioned, my best guess is passenger side top end and that’s where I was going to start. My brother-in-law had seen some rocker arm/lifter failure posts online and thought that could be it.

7) Top end. Possibly toward the back of the passenger side, if I had to guess.

8) I typically use a synthetic. Mobil 1 second to last time, but normally a Rotella. 😬 hate to share that. Everyone has their opinions (typically strong) about oil that should or shouldn’t be used. I can say I send a sample to Blackstone every oil change and am happy with their response.

8) Well, I’ve officially switched to using premium now after that last octane thread 🙄 I prefer non-ethanol premium but Costco doesn’t have that (which is where I usually fill up) and today was a fill up at a gas station that I virtually never use, but still premium.

I don't think oil brand matters so much as I was curious as to viscosity and whether the chain tensioner could be a culprit. In the cold, any viscosity will likely have more than adequate protection so I doubt it was that.

It's somewhat positive to hear the tick doesn't vary with load or starting so perhaps that could suggest it's less likely the bottom end.

Let us know what else you find.

Possibly helpful

Tried a mechanic’s stethoscope to pinpoint location? Super helpful.

Possibly helpful

That tensioner was my Uncle’s guess too. We have a lot of family driving Toyotas and specifically this motor in Tundras.

Tried a mechanic’s stethoscope to pinpoint location? Super helpful.
I should have bought one before now. Or maybe justified swinging by and getting one on my way to my shop 🤦🏻‍♂️

Did you drive like this while the engine was still cold?
No, it would have been running for quite some time prior to this drift. Up to normal temps.

Nothing looks out of place on the passenger side to my untrained eye. The wear marks on the tensioner piston looks a little worse with shorter throw than I expected. My only reference is watching a few YT tensioner videos.

I’ve got some cleaning to do and will have to be very careful that no debris goes anywhere it shouldn’t.

The third coil back looks a little burnt, dry and different than the rest 🤷🏻‍♂️
A9965CD0-D94D-4749-91F1-9CC0644F01F1.jpeg
414F5CF0-0199-4F86-9558-446648799D8B.jpeg
62F8916C-4BF3-4EE4-AC07-6E778F9ED1B7.jpeg
C94CBDBD-B481-43A4-A014-50D3D396FF80.jpeg

I’ll also be cleaning the fine mesh valve solenoid filter on the underside of the valve cover as recommended.

Let me know if you see anything obvious in these photos that I don’t see.

Do you by chance know the previous service history? Just from a cursory look, the top end is rather heavily varnished with a fair amount of grunge. I am just wondering when it bounced off the rev limiter if something shook loose and got an oil passage clogged. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke. It just looks rather dirty to me. What does the oil filter element look like? Did it run on by-pass letting grit through during the high RPM episode? Just wondering.

Do you by chance know the previous service history? Just from a cursory look, the top end is rather heavily varnished with a fair amount of grunge. I am just wondering when it bounced off the rev limiter if something shook loose and got an oil passage clogged. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke. It just looks rather dirty to me. What does the oil filter element look like? Did it run on by-pass letting grit through during the high RPM episode? Just wondering.
I don't know the service history. And I agree, everything I've taken apart does look rather sludgy to me too. I don't understand what to look for regarding the varnished surfaces and what that might indicate. I haven't drained the oil yet, but maybe that's a good next step. And I don't know how to know if it "ran on by-pass". Thanks for the comment though, I'm sure you know more about motors than me.

Looks to have a bit more varnish than I would expect but it is a higher mileage motor. Perhaps it's seen some longer oil change intervals in its lifetime.

While in there, check the valve springs and keepers. Touch every one see if they're tight and in place.

Would be good to pull the plugs too if you haven't already, as that'll give you a clue if there's anything going on in the combustion chambers. That third ignitor looks like it's seen some blow-by perhaps by an under torqued spark plug.

Keep up the good work. You move fast.

Just a possibility: Cracked exhaust manifolds were known to "tick" on 100 series. It isn't something I've heard a lot about on 200 series, however, but a microscopic crack can make a tick sound. If you haven't heard the sound before, you wouldn't expect it to be an exhaust manifold leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom